Best Buy British Website

A

Anonymous

Now that's ironice. I used Google about a year ago, so when I want to but British I had somewhere to reference. And it all started here. Nice on WHF
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Are B&W no longer British owned? I know some of their new range is made in China.

A

Anonymous

emcc_3:They appear to be missing Monitor audio as well. It even says on there website that they are british.Monitor Audio are made in China.

Mind, you, I don't see why this matters. Is it me or does the site smack a little of xenophobia?

T

the record spot

betamale:I have 100% British Kit, hurrah for St George (Except he was Palestinian)

That would be all-English kit then presumably...?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Xenophobia - maybe for some, but not for me.

Some like to make an informed decision about their purchases. Whether it be where it was made, is the product eco-friendly, the list goes on.

If all that matters is quality of the product and price then so be it, but our personal power is not just exercised when we vote but also when we spend our earnings.

So when someone says Xenophobia is a reason for buying Britsh, to me they are misguided. Taking an informed approach to your purchases for ethical reasons is a responsible approach.

Would you be happy knowing your shiny new Hi-Fi set up was manufactured in a country where human rights are a low priority (amongst other possibilities) or should they be just happy to have a job.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Buy British "made" or buy British "designed"?

That great "British" icon the "Mini" (the car, not the skirt that is) was "made" in Britain, but designed by a Greek.

A

Anonymous

sedish chef:

Some like to make an informed decision about their purchases. Whether it be where it was made, is the product eco-friendly, the list goes on.

If all that matters is quality of the product and price then so be it, but our personal power is not just exercised when we vote but also when we spend our earnings.

So when someone says Xenophobia is a reason for buying Britsh, to me they are misguided. Taking an informed approach to your purchases for ethical reasons is a responsible approach.

Would you be happy knowing your shiny new Hi-Fi set up was manufactured in a country where human rights are a low priority (amongst other possibilities) or should they be just happy to have a job.

Sounds sensible to me. We all choose our kit for different reasons and if some of us want to support British manufacturers, where this is possible, then so be it.

This is a free country after all and this web site will help those who feel that way to make an informed choice. However,it seems to be run on a voluntary basis so its accuracy could be questioned unless all of the manufacturers provide up to date details.

A

Anonymous

Both bought second hand from ebay so manufacturer does not benefit from my puchase directly.

And you miss the point. Making a informed decision for whatever the reason is my point. I like the idea that if I want to try to buy a product that was manufactured in Britain (which is not all the time), then there is a portal where I can go for advice. It;s just annoying when people try to dumb-down something positive by saying it's xenophobic.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
sedish chef:

fair points and I don't disagree. But I have come to accept that comfort and gadgets are more important to me that those concerns

A

Anonymous

I couldn't say fairer than that. This post has got a little off the point. I found a website that I liked and then before I knew it tghe word 'xenophobia' popped up. FFS!

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't know as I haven't lived in Seden since I was six.

T

the record spot

sedish chef:
Both bought second hand from ebay so manufacturer does not benefit from my puchase directly.

And you miss the point. Making a informed decision for whatever the reason is my point. I like the idea that if I want to try to buy a product that was manufactured in Britain (which is not all the time), then there is a portal where I can go for advice. It;s just annoying when people try to dumb-down something positive by saying it's xenophobic.

Your stance is compromised if you're going by the "human rights" angle but buying a secondhand iPod /laptop. The point is not that the manufacturer doesn't benefit, but that your principle is upheld: you don't use those products as you question the ethical process in that product's manufacture. It's a fallacy to then say that buying secondhand absolves you from the moral stance you're taking simply because you're not lining the manufacturer's pocket. Your use of the thing suggests the stance you're adopting is lukewarm, or you've not thought through the full weight your position requires you to hold in standing up to your convictions.

A

Anonymous

No, ironically. It's just a forum name, and accidentally mispelt.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts