Best Budget Phono Cartridge???? Opinions please.....

78finn

May 8, 2009
Visit site
I have a Rega 3, and need to replace the cartridge that it shipped with, that being a Rega Bias 2. Bascially I cant afford to spend much more than the price of a Rega Bias 2, but I have heard that you can get far better for the money. Can anyone recommend some budget cartridges for me to listen to? I listen to a wide range of music, but would say lean towards most alternative and electronica.

So far I have been told: Ortofon OM5E and Audio Technica AT95E, but I think that was bwcause the shop I went to only supplied these two budget carts.... : ) go figure!

Anyway help you all could be would be great....

matthewpiano

The Ortofon and AT are both excellent, though I'd say the AT is marginally the better of the two.

One advantage of the Ortofons though is that once you have purchased the cartridge, you can easily upgrade by simply upgrading the stylus. Its a great way of providing a structured upgrade path.

78finn

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Uh...I never new that about the Ortofon i.e. being able to replace the stylus....I thought most budget carts were simply plug/play/replace....hmmmm interesting...that has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons. Although I imagine a replacement stylus is around the same price anyway...

A

Anonymous

I'd second the Ortofons and ATs, but not the base models. The AT95E in particular is not great at retrieving detail nor with playing worn vital. I'd go for the OM10 and the AT120E models as a minimum.

There's also the Ortofon 2M red, which I've not heard but comes at a good price and is highly regarded.ÿ

T

the record spot

AT110E if you're on a budget, Nagaoka MP11 if you're on a REALLY tight budget, Audio Technica AT440MLa if you can push the boat out a little bit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts