Best Budget Headphones

BEDROCK

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello, having ordered a pair of Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphones.

What are the very best on/over ear headphones for below £50?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
BEDROCK said:
Hello, having ordered a pair of Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphones. What are the very best on/over ear headphones for below £50?

This one:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/fostex-th7bb-dynamic-closed-studio-headphones-in-black-th7bb-prodid-6654.html

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
When you look at Innerfidelity's measurements of headphones costing £300 and up, which in some cases have channel mismatches and very significant variances in freq. response with different samples of the same headphone, what can you expect with cheap headphones? - What I mean is, the very name of this site and forum is WhatHiFi, which is an abbreviation of High Fidelity, and which cheap headphones are not. So would you be looking for a particular sound, and could you expect that one person's impressions of cheap headphone 'x' would hold true when you get a sample of that same headphone?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
BEDROCK said:
Without the sarcasm then.

What I call reality you are calling sarcasm. I suppose what you want is either someone to lie to you and say "Yes, you can get what you want", or "Just don't worry about all those gnarly little details like freq. response". It's still a high fidelity forum last time I checked, so if you have a question that somehow relates to high fidelity, or just how much fidelity is possible from low-cost gear, then ask straight out and someone will answer.

Without the sarcasm.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
dalethorn said:
When you look at Innerfidelity's measurements of headphones costing £300 and up, which in some cases have channel mismatches and very significant variances in freq. response with different samples of the same headphone, what can you expect with cheap headphones? - What I mean is, the very name of this site and forum is WhatHiFi, which is an abbreviation of High Fidelity, and which cheap headphones are not. So would you be looking for a particular sound, and could you expect that one person's impressions of cheap headphone 'x' would hold true when you get a sample of that same headphone?

oooo hark at you. /harry enfield mode/ I'm considerably richer than you....

Money doesnt necessairly equal good or High fi sound.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
dalethorn said:

oooo hark at you. /harry enfield mode/ I'm considerably richer than you....Money doesnt necessairly equal good or High fi sound.

You apparently missed the point. It's not about money per se or about being rich. It's about product quality, integrity, and manufacturers and customers who are looking for a bargain and cutting corners, resulting in inconsistent performance and other time-wasting failures. What is your time worth? Nothing? Even if I'm in poverty, I consider my time to have value. And I respect other people's time and efforts.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
dalethorn said:
cheeseboy said:
dalethorn said:

oooo hark at you. /harry enfield mode/ I'm considerably richer than you....Money doesnt necessairly equal good or High fi sound.

You apparently missed the point. It's not about money per se or about being rich. It's about product quality, integrity, and manufacturers and customers who are looking for a bargain and cutting corners, resulting in inconsistent performance and other time-wasting failures. What is your time worth? Nothing? Even if I'm in poverty, I consider my time to have value. And I respect other people's time and efforts.

What point? you came off as an arrogant eejit, end of.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
dalethorn said:
cheeseboy said:
dalethorn said:

What point? you came off as an arrogant eejit, end of.

So you say that I'm arrogant when I offer good free advice? Then I say that you are one of those control freaks who like to prevent people from getting information they need. And that's a fact I know from supporting a lot of users who have these problems.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Phlegm said:
Reported him as you should. Troll. I'd report him for poor spelling if there was a button too. :)

The concept was good, for people who are concerned about over-pricing and bargains. I just had the one point of view, but maybe someone else who is more agreeable could offer a useful counterpoint. And then I could take advantage of some safe bargain-hunting tips myself.

Phlegm

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
The laid back American speaks! Very cool Dale.
smiley-smile.gif

dalethorn said:

I respect and enjoy your reviews, but I'm sorry to say that you do come across as arrogant here. If people have a fixed budget, so be it. There's no correlation between money and "Hi Fi".

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
dalethorn said:
I respect and enjoy your reviews, but I'm sorry to say that you do come across as arrogant here. If people have a fixed budget, so be it. There's no correlation between money and "Hi Fi".

If there's no correlation, then there's no such thing as high fidelity. On the biggest headphone forum (head-fi) they have a long-established tradition of referring to most headphones in the $300 to $500 range as "mid-fi", which is not to say that's precisely correct, but it does set a kind-of marker to say that high fidelity should mean a high standard of reproduction, which can't be had for cheap. But that's not the problem here - you may be misrepresenting what I said, which was not so much about how much 'fi' you can get for cheap, but rather, whether the cheap item you ordered will meet the advertised or reviewed spec. And further, I respect a reputable mfr. who makes consistent products, especially at low cost. But I don't respect schlock mfr's who produce crap that isn't made to a consistent spec, and who don't give a damn whose hearing they ruin, because they're just after a quick buck, as we say across the pond.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to add about arrogance, that as I got further into reviewing and got a lot of flac from users who thought I was stupid and didn't hear well or know how to describe things, that I changed my tone to be very precise about things so there wouldn't be so much misunderstanding (although disagreement is still the rule). I don't have a "people" personality like the guys who head up hifiheadphones U.K. or Innerfidelity or head-fi etc., but I'm not taking advertising either, so I spend whatever hours I can helping people for free.

That is all fine Dale. But unfortunately, the OP has a limited budget. Not everyone can afford expensive cans. But this doesn't mean they don't or can't enjoy their music. There is "high fidelity" at every budget. The definition of high fidelity is very subjective. Just because the OP has a budget of £50 does not mean he cannot ask what's the best he can buy for his money on a Hi Fi forum. We're all here to help, and people will have had experience of some nice bargains who can suggest. Your response to the OP doesn't help at all. What's the point of telling someone with a budget of and looking for a supermini that he / she needs to buy a luxury family saloon car?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
That is all fine Dale. But unfortunately, the OP has a limited budget. Not everyone can afford expensive cans. But this doesn't mean they don't or can't enjoy their music. There is "high fidelity" at every budget. The definition of high fidelity is very subjective. Just because the OP has a budget of £50 does not mean he cannot ask what's the best he can buy for his money on a Hi Fi forum. We're all here to help, and people will have had experience of some nice bargains who can suggest. Your response to the OP doesn't help at all. What's the point of telling someone with a budget of and looking for a supermini that he / she needs to buy a luxury family saloon car?

Once again my points are being misrepresented. The first thing any budget-conscious person needs to know is "Will it harm me?" Then the second thing they need to know is "Will it last or will I have to waste the money I saved sending it back?" Then the third thing they need to know is "Will it have a smooth enough response to be musically enjoyable, even if not very high on the 'fi' scale?"

I never set a price level, I merely propose these questions that some are finding uncomfortable to deal with. I have had these experiences on a tight budget many times, and been badly stung because nobody warned me. If you understand my concerns, then we could proceed to the actual issues.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts