Best budget DVD player?

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
My cheap second room DVD player gave up the ghost tonight following about four years of good service.

I'm looking to purchase a replacement for no more than £80 - what would you recommend?

A

Anonymous

Have a look at some oppo dvd players, i think there pretty good, dont know the prices but i would of thought you could get one for about £80-100.

A

Anonymous

A budget DVD player means "cheap" to me. Personally I shy away from Supermarket brands and would buy a branded circa £50 job. Unless the "oppo" brand means a lot to you I would spend less than £80.

and I am someone who paid circa £500 or a Sony DVD player when they first came out.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thought it would be a good deal getting a oppo asa there good with films and music, £100ish would buy you a dvd player you could have for years, makes it a good deal, just a thought.

A

Anonymous

nick46:Thought it would be a good deal getting a oppo asa there good with films and music, £100ish would buy you a dvd player you could have for years, makes it a good deal, just a thought.

Obviously I am new here so apologies, but I thought that an upscaling DVD player was for PQ & 5.1 sound not for music.

A

Anonymous

But if you could have both would that not be a good thing?

A

Anonymous

philips dvd players are good about £50 with upscaling i think

manicm

JohnDuncan:The best Toshiba you can afford...

And that would be the new XD-E600? Should be all of 80 smacks. Almost makes me regret buying my Sony 360 as initially I won't be getting too many blu-rays.

manicm:

JohnDuncan:The best Toshiba you can afford...

And that would be the new XD-E600? Should be all of 80 smacks. Almost makes me regret buying my Sony 360 as initially I won't be getting too many blu-rays.

The Toshiba XD-E600 looks really nice. Couldn't help notice that this player is available in the US on Amazon for $69.98, & £86.25 on Amazon UK!! When will the manufacturers stop ripping us off?

A

Anonymous

Do also consider a used Denon DVD-1940 - an award winner that produces excellent upscaled pictures. I have seen a few (in mint condition) go for under £80.00 on E-Bay.
GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:You really can't go wrong with this Toshiba - which you can buy for far less than the £70 we tested it for. A true bargain.

So I guess having snapped it today for £39.99 at play.com with use of about £7 of vouchers it's even more of a bargain?

Will report back once it's arrived and is hooked up.

A

Anonymous

EvilWolf:Do also consider a used Denon DVD-1940 - an award winner that produces excellent upscaled pictures. I have seen a few (in mint condition) go for under £80.00 on E-Bay.

emotion-1.gif

SACripps:
Clare Newsome:You really can't go wrong with this Toshiba - which you can buy for far less than the £70 we tested it for. A true bargain.

So I guess having snapped it today for £39.99 at play.com with use of about £7 of vouchers it's even more of a bargain?

Will report back once it's arrived and is hooked up.

You've got an excellent deal there!
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I too am looking for a DVD player at the moment. Will be getting my first LCD screen in a few months. However my DVD player (Toshiba SD360 - a former WHF 5 star winner I believe) is now a bit long in the tooth, slow to load discs etc, so need a new one to tie me over until I go HD as I have an extensive DVD collection. Would you still go for another Toshiba, or what about the new Sony DVP-NS728h? I am looking to get a Sony TV soon so Bravia Sync etc will useful.

Does anyone have any experience of the Sony DVD?

Thanks

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
for any one looking to spend £80 on a dvd player i would spend a little more and get a sony bdp350 ive seen them for £120 thats gotta be a steal,

A

Anonymous

I would love to go all Sony, even stretch to the BDP360 (with one of Sony's budget amps - DG820 or the like and Q Acoustics 1010i speakers) but only thing is, they don't play DivX or so it seems. When I saw the group test for the BDP360 it suggested it played DivX but the Sony website and the instructions say otherwise, as does a google search!! I am now confused!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts