Best Bookshelf speakers under 800$

arigo saki

Nov 27, 2021
Visit site
I would like to replace my Monitor Audio bronze B4 floor speakers with new Bookshelf speakers.
My budget is up to 800$ and my room size is medium 4X5 meters.
My setup is : AMP-NAD320BEE, Streamer-Bluesound node 2i & CD NAD 541.
Any recommendation what could fit best to my setup ?

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
You can consider the Dali Oberon 3s. In my room, which is slightly smaller than yours, they deliver a clear by V shaped sound. In my similar sized room, placed 20cm from the back wall they port needs to be plugged or else the bass is unbearable. One caveat is that you do need an amp like the Cambridge Audio CXA81 otherwise the bass won't be well controlled and the low notes will appear to play out of sync with the rest of the spectrum. I drive them with the previous model, the CXA80, and I know from past auditions that the CXA60 does not provide the same level of bass control.

Can I ask why bookshelf speakers?
These are incorrectly named and should be called standmount as this is where they will perform best.
So, unless you already own speaker stands, you might consider sticking with floorstanders

arigo saki

Nov 27, 2021
Visit site
Well due to new arrangement of the living room i prefer Bookshelf speakers. Also it open for me many more options since delivery stand floors speakers are much more expensive

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I still have my nad c320bee and used to use it with brands such as mission and wharfdale and kef.

I would stick to rich and full sounding speakers the nad can sound a little cold if not.

i think today I’d start my journey listening to some kef Ls50 or as you monitor audio maybe some more of them

Well due to new arrangement of the living room i prefer Bookshelf speakers. Also it open for me many more options since delivery stand floors speakers are much more expensive
Then you will have to factor in the price of stands.
I assume byou are not actually going to put them on a shelf.....
You will have to look around for yourself as nobody here knows what you can get for 800$ wherever you live.

I would like to replace my Monitor Audio bronze B4 floor speakers with new Bookshelf speakers.
My budget is up to 800$ and my room size is medium 4X5 meters.
My setup is : AMP-NAD320BEE, Streamer-Bluesound node 2i & CD NAD 541.
Any recommendation what could fit best to my setup ?
I still have my nad c320bee and used to use it with brands such as mission and wharfdale and kef.

I would stick to rich and full sounding speakers the nad can sound a little cold if not.

i think today I’d start my journey listening to some kef Ls50 or as you monitor audio maybe some more of them
Perhaps you can tell us where to get Kef LS50 for under $800?
Or are you suggesting second-hand?

robdmarsh

If you were in the UK, I would say the Triangle Esprit Titus EZ (ridiculous name, superb speakers) is the answer to your question at the top of the post. I have tried a few of the so-called best speakers up to £1000 in my system and none came close to these.

Unfortunately, I think these are probably quite pricey in the USA and hard to get hold of. Have a look around though. They really merit an audition.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I am not sure how their prices translate to where you live but Monitor Audio do new stand mounts at or close to your budget as do Kef and Dynaudio and others. S/h opens other options.

Just depends what kind of sound you are looking for.

Reactions: Al ears

matthewpianist

The big questions emails.. Are you planning to place your new speakers actually on a bookshelf, or on stands? It sounds like the former if you're trying to save space, but you'll have to be careful if that's the case.

Rega Kytes on their optional table stands would be the best option if you're putting the new speakers on top of furniture. They won't boom and they deliver an open, detailed sound. You would however find them bass light compared to your floor standers, and no protective grilles are available for them.

Reactions: arigo saki
The big questions emails.. Are you planning to place your new speakers actually on a bookshelf, or on stands? It sounds like the former if you're trying to save space, but you'll have to be careful if that's the case.

Rega Kytes on their optional table stands would be the best option if you're putting the new speakers on top of furniture. They won't boom and they deliver an open, detailed sound. You would however find them bass light compared to your floor standers, and no protective grilles are available for them.
that was my concern, the placement on a shelf.
Rega Kytes or any sealed box speaker might be an option in this case.

arigo saki

Nov 27, 2021
Visit site
thanks for your answers i took them into consideration.
I check some possibilities to increase the budget to around 1000$ like:
Elac Unifi Reference
Wharfedale Evo 4.2
SVS Ultra bookshelf
KEF LS50 Meta
Monitor Audio silver 100
B&W 606 s2

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
You can also go for Monitor Audio Bronze 2 . They are front ported and acheive " best sonic balance around 30cm out into the room " according the review of this site. They are considered star speakers and are not hard to drive. I have auditioned them a couple times, but Monitor Audio speakers are not to my taste.

matthewpianist

If you're increasing your budget you need to make sure anything you buy doesn't uncover shortcomings in your amp. The NAD is a great amplifier and lots of fun, but it does have its limitations and if you go too far with the speakers you could end up becoming restless and wanting to upgrade your amp. The KEF LS50s, for example, would (based on experience of both) be a stretch too far.

Triangle Borea 02s are another option worth considering and could make a lovely match with your NAD.

I would avoid the MA Bronze 2s or current Bronze 100 equivalent suggested above. Front porting doesn't guarantee comfort with against-the-wall placement, and recent MAs tend towards being bass heavy and a little blurry sounding in the lower frequencies. They need space and good support, and would be a disaster given your planned placement.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The Triangle Titus Esprit EZ are the only proposal that is suitable for your amplifier, room, placement option AND extraordinary in terms of clarity and detail. Reason: they happen to be bass shy and I really don't know another speaker below 800€ (in Europe) with this quality. Not blurred or slow bass, just lower volume.

The Triangle Titus Esprit EZ are the only proposal that is suitable for your amplifier, room, placement option AND extraordinary in terms of clarity and detail. Reason: they happen to be bass shy and I really don't know another speaker below 800€ (in Europe) with this quality. Not blurred or slow bass, just lower volume.
I am surprised you can predict what is suitable for his room and ears.....
Especially when they might not be available for under $800 wherever the OP lives

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I am surprised you can predict what is suitable for his room and ears.....
Especially when they might not be available for under $800 wherever the OP lives
Not his ears. In terms of taste, they are a whole different story compared to the Monitor Audios. Extremely smooth sound, to the point of coloration.

Last edited:

robdmarsh

That one guy above has seconded my recommendation for Triangle Titus as a great speaker under $800 is something I of course would agree with being an unashamed fanboy of this speaker. On the other hand, of course there are other great speakers out there, we all want different things and none of us have heard every speaker.

The assertion that the Titus is "bass shy" is an interesting one. I suppose from the bare specs it is with the lows only going down to 55hz. However, bass presence and punch is definitely there in my opinion and I don't feel any lack in my set up.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS