Best Blu-ray player for seemingly simple requirements?!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm not sure whether anyone can help? I thought my requirements were fairly simple, however looking through the reviews, it seems to be getting more complex - or rather I seem to be getting more confused! I currently use a PS3 (not the 'slim' variant) for a Blu-ray player which has served well, however the fan is an absolute nuisance and has spoilt many a good film. I'd like to sort this, however not lose some of the benefit of the existing setup. Therefore, my requirements are simply: * Blu-ray player * DVD player * Wifi connectivity * iPlayer, ITV player, 4oD, etc. I've looked at the Sony players, but they don't seem to have wifi (extra ££), Panasonics don't have iplayer, ... ! I'm not at all worried about 3D, music, etc. My TV is a Sony KDL40W3000 (IIRC). I've also got an old Sony 5.1 amp, however this is around 10 years old and has none of the latest connectivity. Budget is to keep it as cheap as possible, however if there is justification, I could stretch to c. £200. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide, Neil

A

Anonymous

I'm clearly incompetent in more than just choosing a Blu-ray player!

---

Hi,

I'm not sure whether anyone can help? I thought my requirements were fairly simple, however looking through the reviews, it seems to be getting more complex - or rather I seem to be getting more confused!

I currently use a PS3 (not the 'slim' variant) for a Blu-ray player which has served well, however the fan is an absolute nuisance and has spoilt many a good film. I'd like to sort this, however not lose some of the benefit of the existing setup. Therefore, my requirements are simply:

* Blu-ray player

* DVD player

* Wifi connectivity

* iPlayer, ITV player, 4oD, etc.

I've looked at the Sony players, but they don't seem to have wifi (extra ££), Panasonics don't have iplayer, ... ! I'm not at all worried about 3D, music, etc. My TV is a Sony KDL40W3000 (IIRC). I've also got an old Sony 5.1 amp, however this is around 10 years old and has none of the latest connectivity. Budget is to keep it as cheap as possible, however if there is justification, I could stretch to c. £200.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide,

Neil

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Is connectivity to your Sony amp vital? If so you will require multi channel audio outs, which are not available in current budget models.

I take it you can't hard wire to your router?

John Duncan

What amp have you got? If it doesn't have 5.1 in, you're never going to get the latest codecs anyway. If that's the case, I'd settle for the latest budget Sony (380?) and add a fifteen quid wireless extender to give it internet connectivity. Their rich content is the best I've seen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts