Best Bargain Ever?

paulbysea

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I bought my LP12 in 1980 fitted with a Syrinx PU2 and Asak, with regular upgrades over the years much of it has been replaced. However, enough of the turntable still remains for me to consider it to be the original. It still sounds good to my ears. Whilst with the introduction of CDs and streaming it doesn't get as much use as once did I still enjoy listening to vinyl.

I am wondering how many other people still have a Linn or other turntable of similar age in use still?

Reactions: Clarkey_71

Tonestar1

Came to the party too late unfortunately. Anything with the L badge is exorbitant these days. Shame as the factory is only a few miles from my house and I'd love to support a local company. When I win the lotto maybe!

Reactions: paulbysea

paulbysea

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Came to the party too late unfortunately. Anything with the L badge is exorbitant these days. Shame as the factory is only a few miles from my house and I'd love to support a local company. When I win the lotto maybe!

I can't remember exactly what I paid for the LP12 when I purchased it, relatively expensive but not the price or a mid-range family car. If I add the purchase price and a guesstimate of what I have spent over the years on it, I reckon it works out at about £1.50-2.00 or so a week and the biggest chunk of this was a couple of years ago when I had a lot of work done. , The low cost over the years is why I believe I have had a bargain, I doubt I could justify the initial outlay today.

Icedragon05

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Bought mine in 84 with a Basik arm and I think K9 cart, cost just under £500. Same story upgrades Cirkus, Ittok, Lingo and Trampolin as well as various carts have all increased it's musicality and I wouldn't be without it!
Just debating next upgrade (Kore/Keel or alternative) but that's another story.....

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I think I got mine somewhere around 89 - 91.
Like most owners, I've tried all sorts of gadgets and gizmos!!!!
I have an old Ekos arm and and old Lingo, which I'm looking to upgrade next year to the 4.
Linn products are generally very expensive and for the life of me I just can't get my head around £2k+ for the Keel!
I did install a much cheaper option years ago.
I use a Lyra Delos cart, but am thinking of upgrading to a Kleos. I'm also considering upgrading my tone arm cable too.
Like others, I always talk about ideas rather than do many of them!!

TRENDING THREADS