Best AV receiver with good stereo quality for Tannoy DC6T

buijenre

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have the Tannoy DC6T's with the DC6's and the Subs to make a complete 5.1 set.

I've hooked them up the a Marantz SR6007, it sounds great.

I mainly do FLAC for stereo and the Marantz being a $650 AV receiver does a pretty good job but I feel it can be much better without making a complete seperate stereo setup.

If I was to spend $1100 on a new AV that can do FLAC in stereo would that be any improvement at all? Does anyone know how to improve my stereo quality and what is the best choice for pairing?

Thanks,

Rense

T

the record spot

Have you bi-amped the front speakers? Is the Marantz a 7.1 receiver? If it is then use the two spare amp channels to bi-amp the fronts and see how that goes. This worked very favourably for me.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
+1 for bi amping. My SR7007 bi amps some demanding MA floor standers to good effect. Worth reading the CD manual to connect and assign the rear effect channels, then re run Audyssey. Alternative upgrade would be to keep the 6007 and add an integrated amp for front duties.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
http://www.themovierooms.co.uk/arcam-avr400.html

Something like this would be your best bet if you really don't want to have a separate stereo amp. I personally would go for a separate stereo amp every time unless you only listen to music occasionally.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You know buijenre thats a hard one you know.....

I have an old reciever Yamaha dsp AX-620 and its superb in stereo it really is. It was 500pounds new back in the day but it drives a pair of Mission 782se really well in my room.

I recently bought a Yamaha RX - A1020 tried it out on the missions (putting the AX-620 under the telly) and it was nowhere near as accomplished in stereo (after loads of tinkering) as the old amp.(Source direct imo is rubbish)

Thing is reviews claimed the 1020 was great with music its not. It did vocals very well but rounded off the top end and softend the bass - it just did not control the speakers.

if you're after a musical reciever I'd suggest going retro as the older design with a single PSU powering a single multi channel amp driving all speakers as opposed to these modern multi-amp recievers sound better in stereo.

in my experience anyway.....

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
HI,

I saw on another post that you are thinking on adding stereo amp and now also mentioning buying new avr.

I was exactly in your shoes 1-2 years ago.

I have only one advice for you - be very very careful! This hifi-av thing is very addictive and in no time you will most probably burn some serious money. Just be prepare for it. And you will never say - this is great and stick with it for years. Because you will want more.

I had 5.1 and then sell everything because I wanted better stereo, then good stereo amp, dac,... and in 6 months I missed center speaker, HDMI switching, dts decoding, tuner, easy of use of AVR, if I wanted to change source I had to manually switchit on dac (no remote), etc.

Month ago I sold everything, got marantz SR6008 and I am happy with it. maybe I will add floorstaners in my 5.1 and that is it.

Thing is - as you add better and better stuff you start to hear improvements in sound, and than you want more, and more.

You are thinking of giving double money on better avr and forum members are proposing arcam avr (how much is that, -3-4 time your current amp?).

My point is - you can get better stereo sound in different ways (arcam avr, adding stereo amp with good dac), but that will cost you significantly more that you already invested.

Be prepare for it or yust stick with what you have and enjoy! ;-)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnKK said:
I have only one advice for you - be very very careful! This hifi-av thing is very addictive and in no time you will most probably burn some serious money. Just be prepare for it. And you will never say - this is great and stick with it for years. Because you will want more.

Pah! Never!

:shame:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts