Best AV receiver future proof and good stereo sound for £499

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Whats they best AV receiver on the market in this price range at the moment, I like the Denon 1912, but the interface is not very nice.

Mainly usuing it for blu rays, Virgin Tivo, internet radio, connected ipod/air play and CD player.

Will be paired with the following Acoustic energy Neo 3 5.1 system (minus the rears, will be using KEF T101`s for the rears)

thanks all

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
You can still get, if you are quick because it is being discontinued, the Yamaha RX-V1067 from Richer Sounds now at a discounted £500. They also sell the new Oknyo TX-NR609, the new Denon AVR1912 and the new Yamaha RX-V671 at the same price and the Pioneer VSX 921 for £450, but I've not seen detailed reviews of these new ones, whereas the Yamaha RX-V1067, which I will be buying myself in the next 2 or 3 weeks, got a 5-star review in the November 2010 issue of this magazine and got a 4-star review in the February 2011 issue of Home Cinema Choice. One feature of the Yamaha RX-V1067 that many of the others that I have listed conspicuously lack is great connectivity - 8 HDMI 1.4a inputs, 2 HDMI outputs, 11 analogue stereo audio inputs, 2 digital coaxial inputs, 3 digital optical inputs, and the Titanium finish (the black finish costs £50 more) looks beautiful. It can also drive 2 subwoofers and 7 speakers (can drive 9 speakers if you add a separate stereo amplifier).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you can wait a few weeks, we've got a key Group Test of receiver at the @£500 price-point due in our next issue (on sale August 24th).

It will focus on both music and movie performance, including testing such features as Spotify streaming and Apple AirPlay (where relevant).

The review line-up is:

Denon AVR-1912 (NB First Test review of this will go online by mid-August)

Onkyo TX-NR609

PioneerVSX-921

Yamaha RX-V671 (NB First Test review in current, September issue - on sale now)

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Im going for the Yammy RX-V671. Mainly as the stereo sound is said to be good aswell, plus the ton of connectivity.

However, you are able to bi wire your front speakers with this but my current floorstanders are not bi wireable (Acoustic energy Neo 3 5.1 )

Anyone can suggest a good 5.1 pairing for this receiver.

I am looking at the TANNOY REVOLUTION COMPACT 5`s. Or the Tannoy Mercury 5.1 (but to use a different sub).

i_hate_nerds

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
If you can wait a few weeks, we've got a key Group Test of receiver at the @£500 price-point due in our next issue (on sale August 24th).

It will focus on both music and movie performance, including testing such features as Spotify streaming and Apple AirPlay (where relevant).

The review line-up is:

Onkyo TX-NR609

PioneerVSX-921

Hi Clare

I am about to buy one of these as there seems to be some unbelievable deals on some of them at Sevenoaks. I am leaning towards the AVR1912 at the moment but since i heard you are doing a first test thought i might hold off. When is the first test available to read online?

i_hate_nerds

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:

The review line-up is:

Onkyo TX-NR609

PioneerVSX-921

Hi Clare

I am about to buy one of these as there seems to be some unbelievable deals on some of them at Sevenoaks. I am leaning towards the AVR1912 at the moment but since i heard you are doing a first test thought i might hold off. When is the first test available to read online?

A

Anonymous

That's perfect timing Clare as I'm about to head out and buy one and was thinking that a Group Test is exactly what I need - problem solved! But with the receivers at around £500 all throwing in so many new features and improving sound quality etc. (e.g. your recent review of the Yamaha RX-V671), I'm really trying to understand how much more value you get by going for say the V771, Denon's 2312/3312 or Onkyo's 709/809. Will the Group Test touch on how much more value you can get by stretching to a higher price point with the current market for receivers? Looking forward to the review.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts