Best audio output for 2 channel home cinema...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I'm currently using a Philips BDP-3000 connected to a DacMagic via the coax digital output, I have the Philips set to output PCM to the coax.

I'm just wondering when watching blu rays what would be the best type of audio for me to watch the film in? or does it not matter as the DacMagic converts all 5.1 channels into 2?

I do find when switching between LPCM and Dolby Digital channels on the blu ray disc itself that the Dolby Digital channel is louder and seems to have more the effects pumped into my 2 speakers.

Of course when a blu ray does offer a specific PCM 2.0 channel mode I'll always use it, but on some blu rays I find the LPCM quieter, I'm guessing because this is a multi channel PCM.

Any help on optimizing my setup for 2 channel playback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you're outputting to the Dacmagic, you're only outputting in stereo anyway. As the Dacmagic has no Dolby Digital decoding, both LPCM and Dolby Digital are being dowmixed to stereo in the player, so it could just be a difference in the player downmixing.

A

Anonymous

What would happen if I change the output of the Philips to Bitstream, what is the difference between PCM and Bitstream?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Bitstream would deliver the Dolby Digital HD and DTS-HD datastreams, but the player is unable to send those over a coax or optical connection - not enough bandwidth - so they wouldn't work. PCM decodes those datastreams, but can only output them in stereo at a reduced data-rate over the optical or coax connection, which is what you're getting at the moment, and the Dacmagic can only handle them in stereo.

What you are doing now is about as good as you're going to get, short of using an AV receiver able to handle the full-fat HD soundtracks over an HDMI connection.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all this help btw, just one more thing...

Why does my player give the option for PCM or Bitstream output on the digital output if it never could output Bitstream via optical or coax?

It does give an option for what type of audio output to be used on the HDMI.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Bitstream would deliver the Dolby Digital HD and DTS-HD datastreams, but the player is unable to send those over a coax or optical connection - not enough bandwidth - so they wouldn't work. PCM decodes those datastreams, but can only output them in stereo at a reduced data-rate over the optical or coax connection, which is what you're getting at the moment, and the Dacmagic can only handle them in stereo.

What you are doing now is about as good as you're going to get, short of using an AV receiver able to handle the full-fat HD soundtracks over an HDMI connection.

Just reading this and got a bit lost.can't we via optical or coaxial get DTS sound going trough an older amp?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts