Best amplifier for Spendor A5?

westerniser

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried the Spendor A5's yesterday and really liked them. I'm looking for a suitable amp and dac to partner with them. I mostly play music from my Mac.

I tried the Roksan K2 (not bad but don't like their new designs) with the arcam rDac. I also tried the Cyrus 8xpd but it seemed to sound better when its dac wasn't used (and we partnered it with the Arcam rDac) It sounded brighter and more engaging with the rDac.

What you you recommend trying? I thought about the Audiolab 8200a, Creek Evolution 2 - would they work well, or are there any others that would do the trick?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

For me the Cyrus 8XP amp with a solid source such as a Rega Saturn CDP is one of the best combos I've ever heard with the Spendor A5's

In saying that the Arcam FMJ A32 and A38 integrated amps drove the Spendors well as did the Rotel RA1520 and Leema Pulse

I've not heard the Spendors with the Creek so cant comment

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
westerniser said:
I tried the Spendor A5's yesterday and really liked them. I'm looking for a suitable amp and dac to partner with them. I mostly play music from my Mac.

I tried the Roksan K2 (not bad but don't like their new designs) with the arcam rDac. I also tried the Cyrus 8xpd but it seemed to sound better when its dac wasn't used (and we partnered it with the Arcam rDac) It sounded brighter and more engaging with the rDac.

The A5's are very smooth sounding speakers, and using them with smooth sounding components is only going to exaggerate that, and the end result will be dull beyond dullness. What you probably found with the 8xpd is that it's internal DAC is more refined of that than the rDaC, and that refinement to be just too much with the A5's. If you want something to liven up the A5's, I'd try the Audiolab. Wait around a little for the 8200QX (DAC with an integral pre-amplifier), and add an 8200P, which will drive the low sensitivity of A5's far better.the key here is to drive them well - do that, and they'll sing - fail to do that and they'll sound soft and dull.

The other option is to look at a speaker that's naturally more lively in the first place :)

westerniser

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks David - I think you're right regarding the Cyrus dac being more refined - making the sound a little dull.

What about the Yamaha AS1000? It's a great looking amp and has lots of power, just wondering if it matches well with the A5's?

I'll try the Audiolab 8200, although probably can't wait for the QX to hit the stores, i'm looking to buy this week.

My top contenders are:

- Naim Nait XS

- Cyrus 8XP

- Creek Evolution 2

- Audiolab 8200

- Sugden Mystro

- Yamaha AS100

Just wondering - for the forum out there - what would be your choice out of these six options?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Since you're looking for an am and DAC, then maybe consider the Naim Supernait, which has both in one box. My experience has been that Naim and Spendor work very well together, so this might well be the solution you're after. And I believe the DAC in the Supernait is pretty decent, able to handle 24/192 through its S/PDIF inputs.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

I'm in agreement with the Audiolab amps; they're lovely amps and would drive the Spendors well

I've heard the Audiolab 8200Q with the 8200P with the Neat Motive 2's and PMC GB1i's and it was a superb set-up; CDP's were the Rega Apollo and Audiolab 8200CD. For me, I prefered the Rega Apollo but the Audiolab isnt a poor CDP by any means

Out of the amps you've mentioned above; my choices would be the Audiolab (probably the pre/power combo I've heard), the Cyrus 8XP (prefeably with the PSX-R) and the Yamaha AS1000 although the AS2000 was a bit more gutsy IMO

I think the Creek Evo 2 amp would work well but for me it just lacks a little oomph at times although I'm sure PP will be along to say it doesnt
smiley-tongue-out.gif

As I'm sure you're well aware it really is horses for courses and demo's are essential

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you can't wait for the QX, try out the 8200Q and 8200P pre/power, to which you could add something like the Rega DAC. Although you don't seem to need a CD player, an 8200CDQ with an 8200P will also do what you need - and arguably better - with the added benefit of a CD player.

Personally, I'm not much of an advocate of amplifiers with built in DACs as DACs improve - albeit in small increments - whereas amplification never really changes.

A

Anonymous

The Harmon Kardon HK990 packs 150 wpc into 8 ohms and has a built in DAC, all for under £800. It should be on your demo list.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't partner the HK amp with the Spendors

Doesn't matter how powerful the amp is; it doesn't have the best sound IMO & the Spendors deserve better

hifilover1979 said:
I'm in agreement with the Audiolab amps; they're lovely amps and would drive the Spendors well

I've heard the Audiolab 8200Q with the 8200P with the Neat Motive 2's and PMC GB1i's and it was a superb set-up; CDP's were the Rega Apollo and Audiolab 8200CD. For me, I prefered the Rega Apollo but the Audiolab isnt a poor CDP by any means

Out of the amps you've mentioned above; my choices would be the Audiolab (probably the pre/power combo I've heard), the Cyrus 8XP (prefeably with the PSX-R) and the Yamaha AS1000 although the AS2000 was a bit more gutsy IMO

I think the Creek Evo 2 amp would work well but for me it just lacks a little oomph at times although I'm sure PP will be along to say it doesnt
smiley-tongue-out.gif

As I'm sure you're well aware it really is horses for courses and demo's are essential

Nah, I was going to suggest Nad 355BEE....:bounce:

A

Anonymous

As shurrup you...
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Would drive the Spendors superbly mind you but I dont think it's a sharp enough amp for them.

T

the record spot

hifilover1979 said:
I wouldn't partner the HK amp with the Spendors Doesn't matter how powerful the amp is; it doesn't have the best sound IMO & the Spendors deserve better

Chuckle, not enough crash bang wallop eh HFL? Of course, it's not a NAD 355...anywy the IMO bit's what counts, thankfully, we can leave the rest to one side.

To the OP, the 990 is a fine amp, it's more than just power and H1979 is awry with his opinions here. The HK990 is head and shoulders above the pack when it comes to delivering. It doesn't do flash bang but delivers refinement and control and ample power in reserve. This isn't to deliver sonic thrills but to control your speaker and handle dynamic peaks with ease. It does this, sounds good and is well specced into the bargain. Play what you like through it, it won't fall short.

hifilover1979 said:
As shurrup you...
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Would drive the Spendors superbly mind you but I dont think it's a sharp enough amp for them.

TBH, not heard the A5s for a long enough period. Creek? dunno. From short audition with A5 it will need an amp with an 'edge', which knocks Arcam and Nad on the head. You're really looking at Cyrus, Leema, Naim, Densen...

westerniser

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Interesting debate going on, guys. A few new contentders popping up.

I have to say I have never been a huge fn of the HK stuff, but I suppose this one could be different.

I think my main contenders would be the Audiolab 8200 pre/power combo (or the integrated if I'm not feeling flush), the creek evolution 2 (again for lower budget) or the Yamaha AS1000, it it looks the business, has tone controls (which I may need) and have heard some good reports on it. I just haven't heard it with the Spendors yet. Final contender is the Naim XS, which i may be able to get a deal on, but would it's be poweful enough at only 60wpc?

T

the record spot

HK doesn't get much time in the UK as it's not a major name in the shops or in the mags. That said, in the 90s (and earlier) they were putting out some good stuff. Their HK6550 is well worth checking out, as is their earlier Citation amps (if you can afford the latter).

The 990 follows on from that - different styling admittedly - but has that effortless kind of sound you get when you know the amp's ticking over nicely; never strained. Brilliant job. Just that bloody volume control they've got, otherwise all major boxes ticked. Of course, XTZ offer a very similar spec with their A100 D3 amp. 105wpc at 8ohms, good current delivery, onboard DAC much like the HK and can take a subwoofer (the HK offers the means to take two). Both will take additional power amps.

A

Anonymous

For me it's not the power or what the amp can drive; it's how it comes across sound wise and with that; the HK amps and the NAD amps soundstage just wouldnt suit the Spendor A5's IMO

Having heard the HK amps a few times when I was shopping round for the integrated amp system I built (ended up with the NAD C355BEE) the HK amp appeard a few times and sounded ok but it's soundstage appeard to be a little too safe at times (heard with Proac, B&W, Spendor, Neat, Monitor Audio and Rega speakers)

The NAD would have been in the same boat (only heard that with the Spendors, B&W, Monitor Audio and PMC speakers); the NAD overall was brilliant with a more even soundstage, more so for my musical tastes but the NAD still didnt suit the Spendor A3's or A5's that I demo'd

The Spendor speakers need a lively and exciting amp behind them; they're a 'safe' sound and quite smooth so the more openness and livelyness of the Cyrus, Audiolab and Rotel amps gave them a better bone to chew on so to speak

T

the record spot

OK, got you now. They didn't have the sound you were used to; maybe it's just down to finding electronics that don't add anything to the music - NAD (boom), Cyrus (a bit bright and shiny), Rotel (good to bright), etc...something that's going to be neutral isn't going to cut it for you probably!

...and obviously, you're wrong because i) I'm right and, ii) this is the internet. :cheers: :twisted:

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979 said:
I wouldn't partner the HK amp with the Spendors Doesn't matter how powerful the amp is; it doesn't have the best sound IMO & the Spendors deserve better

Once a set of speakers are able to draw all the power they need from an amplifier, their sound is not being hindered by the distortion that would be caused by an underpowered amp.

In other words, they will sound their best regardless of the brand of amplifier, once it has the required power. The Harmon Kardon has enough power for the spendors, and is a cheaper option than the others given here. It should be on the thread starters demo list.

westerniser

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the answers, I'm have ordered the Yamaha AS2000, it got an ex demo for £700, which sounds really good to me. It looks great, the reviews seem good and it's powerful, so hopefully it will work well with the Spendors. I may also buy the naim XS, as I may be able to get a good deal. If I do, I will test both and sell one. Watch this space!

Spendors arrived today, looking forward to getting them fired up!

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
ABM78 said:
Out of interest how does the Leema go with the Spendors?

Spendor speakers are smooth while Leema amps are neutral and dynamic. They are good match.

Previously I connected my Spendor SA1 with Leema Pulse II which produced excellent SQ. Now I have changed the Pulse II to Tucana II which sounds even better :dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts