Best amplifier for Spendor A5?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
They are going ok but I'm expecting a bit more. I'm streaming wirelessly from an imac into an Arcam R-DAC but I'm sure the Spendor/Leema combination has more to give. Running Chord Crimson Interconnect and Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cables. Thinking either the cables or the DAC need an upgrade.

BluePotato said:
They are going ok but I'm expecting a bit more. I'm streaming wirelessly from an imac into an Arcam R-DAC but I'm sure the Spendor/Leema combination has more to give. Running Chord Crimson Interconnect and Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cables. Thinking either the cables or the DAC need an upgrade.

Honestly believe you won't hear your bundles at their best until you upgrade the Dac. The rDac is good, solid little dac... but I'd be surprised if it's significantly better than the dac in the CD73T.

Rega is a fabulous match with Leema...

Inter_Voice said:
ABM78 said:
Out of interest how does the Leema go with the Spendors?

Spendor speakers are smooth while Leema amps are neutral and dynamic. They are good match.

Previously I connected my Spendor SA1 with Leema Pulse II which produced excellent SQ. Now I have changed the Pulse II to Tucana II which sounds even better :dance:

Yes, but in all fairness, it is 3 x the price of the Pulse.

rocketride

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I know it is too late but just to mention... Exposure 3010s2 is the perfect match for Spendors A5. Even 2010s2 would do the job more than fair. Incorporate the Exposure 2010s2 DAC and it could be a giant killer system IMO. :exmark:

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
hi all

just got a pair of A5 in addition to my system. I intend to leave the Jade 5 with the Audiolab system in my living room ( quite big at abt 35 sq mtrs) and build another one in the attic.

Until getting another amp and source for the A5 i can tell you that the Spendors sound sweet with 8200cdq and 2 x 8200M. Enough power and really sweet sound. The Jade 5 sound a bot more efortless and fuller but the Spendors are faster and a bit more fluid. However, its a bit early to write a review because they have only been singing in my house for about 5 hours. I still meed some time to get aquainted with their sound.

Now i am looking for a roksan caspian m2 with equivalent cd player, both second hand, ex demo. I have the feeling that it will be a good match. At this very moment typing and listening Gotan Project with their beautiful album Lunatico. Excellent bass amd drums. same for the sweet midrange. I guess i will be very happy in long term.Forgot to mention:i dont know of My combo is the best because i didnt hear many but who has the same and considrr buying the A5 or who has the A5 and consider buying a similar set up no need to worry. it will work a treat.

rdmaidment

Dec 27, 2008
Visit site
As others have said, the A5's are very smooth and will apear dull with inappropriate partnering.

I have a pair and they work wonderfully with an otherwise all Naim system(NDX Streamer/NAC 282 Pre-amp/Hicap DR/NAP200 Power Amp). They are serving me well and have responded well to each upgrade. I have used them with lower down the (Naim) range equipment and they still sounded good.

These speakers are not rockers though, if you want excitement look elsewhere, but for my ears they have quite a bit of magic with Jazz/Blues and orchestral music where the scale they have is surprising. Real instruments sound very real and they do well on vocals due to an excellent, smooth midrange. They will rock when provoked, but this is not their strength in my opinion.

Ensure you try at home with your chosen amplifier, they have a tendency to boom, this can be minimised with positioning but I have found as I have moved up the Naim ladder the partnering equipment helps with this, bringing them under control as they need to be kept under a tight leash.

Richard

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
yes, many have said that the little bastards need a good control. I am not yet fully familiar with them but I will try some amps. The trouble is that Roksan is not available. perhaps i will check if coming to uk for a visit. I am also curious about Yamaha A-S2000. it was a member getting this with A5 but he never came back with the feedback. but I,m afraid that Yamaha is a bit of a slow type.

i agree about beeing a bit boomy but not as with too mich thump etc. the bass is just big i think but sounded very controlled. it is like you have a small subwoofer but a quality one. also, the music has an influence. Gotan Project have a dark, sinister dubbing sound.

i have listened vol.1 of “best audiophile voices“ on cd, audiophile quality recording. real bass (acoustic, no electronics). Very impressive.

the thing is that you got to stay in front of them to achieve good results. Jade 5 have the ability to sound full even when you are well away from them. the A5s make a tinier sound when you move away from them but all in all i have the feeling that the Spendors might be the better ones.

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
very good with other amp and source. tried in singapore the Sugden A21 amp and cd. To me iy was the most beautiful sound ever. extremely musical. Jade 5s work really well with my audiolab system . maybe because are part of same group and probably developed with 8200 series in mind. they complement each other very well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts