Best amplifier for B&W 684 Floorstanders. Currently use A-S500

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

So just now my setup is a CDS300 yamaha cd player, Rega Dac, A-S500 Amp and 684 Speakers.

I cant help but think i can get more from these £800 speakers and think that i should give them a better amp? My usualy source is music via airplay and the odd cd. i use it for watching tv and films too (optical into the dac via the tv). My music type is really varied. I listen to everything apart from rock and metal. I do listen to world music also and I like my music loud and hitting hard - strong bass but never a compromise on clarity.

As an example, i found the PMC speakers far too dull for me when i tested them- wasnt enough bass and excitement. similarily the LS50 (the short time i heard them) sounded more like background music suited than main listening suited.

i have toyed with the idea of the rega brio r, rotel or an arcam A19 but i reckon the brio r wont be able to control the 684 well at just 40w

The amp must have a remote and i dont need a built in dac since i spent a lot of money on a rega dac!

thanks

Sir Lemon

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

If your budget allows it, try to audition Electrocompaniet and Hegel amps, the general consensus is that they pair exceptionally well with B&W speakers.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Which amp. did you hear the LS50 and PMCs with?

Yes I think you can do better, with your requirements the new Roksan Kandy K2 maybe worth a listen, of the amps I heard the Creek 50A was the best but maybe not poweful enough for you but worth a try if you are considering Arcam A19. Another good amp. is Musical Fidelity M3i but thats £1000. Or look at some used amps like Creek and Leema.

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Apologies. I put down bowers and wilkins 683 when I meant 684 so the first two replies- are they still valid with the 684 spear?

also my budget is under £700 so going pre and power separate isn't going to be possible I'm afraid. Looking for an integrated amp

Sir Lemon

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
It does apply. However, your budget would prohibit any such acquisition (Hegel or Electrocompaniet amps). I'm not sure what to suggest, the cheapest amp I heard (in recent memory) and liked with B&W speakers, is the Atoll Electronique IN100, with B&W PM1 speakers. Maybe a lower output version is worth pursuing (if it actually fits your budget). And maybe entry level YBA amps!?.. I'm sure others with far more experience than me will chime in with more suggestions.

sonic21

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
you should audition the 684 wtih roksan kandy k2. im using the 684 with the K2's and just the perfect wattage for the speakers. 125w/c and if u r a bass person then this amp could give u extensive bass. im very happy with my combo, it matches well too. in fact roksan have just come out with a new bluetooth version of the k2 called k2 BT and is 150w/c. u shld give it a listen with your speakers.

Tacty

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
chances are you will get a somehow different presentation and not sure if it will be "better"...with a budget of 700 you cant expect to get a night and day difference...i know, yamaha don't have an "audiophile" stamp of approval but be carefull, you have a very good amp, and exchanging it with some cottage boutique amp of 40 W with no tone controls doesnt neccessary means "better" sound quality...

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey

just to update this thread I tried the cyrus 6a and the Roksan k2 and althogh the amps sounded a bit better it was not enough for me to part with my cash. Done home demos for a few days. Cyrus was very detailed and lovely and Roksan had good bass but detail was lacking. Of course they sounded a bit better than my as500 but definately not £500 more better. I would rather get a projector or a timetable wih that £500. Makes me really appreciate how great the as500 amp is!!

TRENDING THREADS