Best amp for my scenario (with KEF LS50 speakers)?

coastjaime

Jun 1, 2020
Visit site
Hello! We are new to all of this but just purchased the KEF LS50 wired speakers after hearing them at a friends. We need to purchase a new amplifier to go along with them. We will be using only ethernet (no WIFI), mostly powered from our iMac in our relatively small living room. Can you all recommend an amplifier within a <$1500 budget? Capability to expand the setup in the future would be nice.
Thank you so much.

coastjaime

Jun 1, 2020
Visit site
Yes we considered those as well but want to integrate our TV into the setup as well as expand with subwoofers and eventually my turntable and possibly more in the future. And wanting 2 zones as well. The wired speakers seemed more capable of all of that, but maybe I am mistaken.

Last edited:
Reactions: MUSICRAFT
D

Deleted member 116933

Hello! We are new to all of this but just purchased the KEF LS50 wired speakers after hearing them at a friends. We need to purchase a new amplifier to go along with them. We will be using only ethernet (no WIFI), mostly powered from our iMac in our relatively small living room. Can you all recommend an amplifier within a <$1500 budget? Capability to expand the setup in the future would be nice.
Thank you so much.

So the amp just needs to be an amp? no DAC needed inside it for your imac?

Sounds like you want your amp to do alot of stuff in the future.

coastjaime

Jun 1, 2020
Visit site
From the little I know about DAC it seems that I may need one but not entirely sure. And yes, we would like to have the option of expanding in the future (home reno at years end).

D

Deleted member 188516

something with a decent amount of power for ls50's. i've heard people match them with either a rega elicit r or a roksan k3 and got good results.

i had a pair of kef ls50's connected to a musical fidelity m6i, 200w of power, rrp £2500...

after adjusting positioning, speaker stands even speaker cable they were sold on...

the sound was always flat, lifeless and slightly fuzzy.

swapped them for the cheaper, "inferior" b&w 685 s2 and my faith in hifi was restored again !

Reactions: TomC and coastjaime
D

Deleted member 116933

From the little I know about DAC it seems that I may need one but not entirely sure. And yes, we would like to have the option of expanding in the future (home reno at years end).

Sounds like you will need one if you want the music from the imac

Always want it to be just stereo?

Jimboo

The 'standard' 50 and the wireless are two different speakers as to what is required to make them sing. The normal speakers are wonderful but it seems people struggle to pair them with the right components to be happy, so you need to use your ears and demo ,demo and demo.
You need to look at the spec of the wireless and decide if they can give you what you want. You already loved the sound of them so there is the simple answer. Nail what you want and choose the best sounding speakers and functionality and depending on any budget requirements you have enjoy them.

Reactions: coastjaime

rainsoothe

I'd look at Roksan K3 or a sh Naim Supernait. Either should leave you with some leftover cash to save up for a sh Cambridge Audio CXN v2, which is a fantastic sounding source in it's price bracket and above. The first gen Supernait also has an ok-ish DAC, but I forget what type of connection (defo NOT USB).

D

Deleted member 116933

Open to all options really. Just learning.

Ok something with a usb and power for $1500

I’d look at Hegel , exposure and rotel

A naim dac v1 and nap 100 would be a good option also. The v1 is an amazing dac that many don’t talk about much. But hard to connect subwoofers to though not impossible.

And Schitt audio. a number of options to fit all budgets

That’s what id start with.

Surround wise you have to spend a darn sight more to match any of the above for sound quality

But anthem is where I’d start.

Reactions: coastjaime

coastjaime

Jun 1, 2020
Visit site
Try Peachtree amps the 125 watts nova second hand or the new 150 watt one....both have dacs for tv etc and can power the kefs easily
So there is no Ethernet port on the Nova150 (and no bluetooth, though thats not important to me). Since my mac will plug directly in , maybe its not as big of a deal as I am thinking? Other than that I am liking the 150.

but want to integrate our TV into the setup as well as expand with subwoofers and eventually my turntable and possibly more in the future.

If you can stretch your budget then Lyngdorf Audio's soon to be released TDAI-1120 is also worth a look. WiFi, HDMI, Ethernet, T/T input and the bees knees of room correction with seamless alignment and integration of the subwoofer/s with the mains.

Last edited:

jaczar

Aug 27, 2020
Visit site
I've got the KEF LS50, IsoAcoustics ISO-155 stands, REL T/7i sub (high level input connection), NuPrime IDA-8 amp, NuPrime Pure AC-4, Audioquest budget cables
The source is Apple TV 4K
It's a great match for my room
Speakers, amp and sub are on the absolute sound greatest bargains in high-end audio list

Last edited:
Reactions: smiddySoundscape

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I’d recommend the Hegel amps but I’ve also tried Cyrus One cast and Marantz PM7000N and posted reviews on my website which is a good starting point, then ask me more questions and am happy to facilitate answers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts