Best amp for ~£300

GazW649

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
It will be paired with a Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD player and either B&W 685 or Monitor Audio Bronze BR1 speakers. I beleive Rotel do a good amp at this price? What else should I try out.

A

Anonymous

Rotel RA-04 should be on your audition list, it RRP's at £250 though so for a little more moolah you might want to try out the Audiolab 8000S which is about £400. Another option might be the Arcam A70 which I found a good deal on here: http://www.weymouthhifi.co.uk/website/arcam/arcam-a70.htm If you're gonna spend this much money on an amp though, I'd consider putting a bit more beef into your speaker choice. Perhaps looking at the silver series from MA instead of the BR1's.

A

Anonymous

cambridge audio azur640A, Nad c352 ( can be got on line for about £300), rotel RA 05, Don't touch the Arcam A70 unless you like a soft sound lacking in punch and drive. Just my tuppence worth but i thought it was awful.One of worst amps i have heard and considerably overpriced. i don't say that lightly.The nad and the cambridge both give a more dynamic exciting listen at around half the price.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Fraziel - The Arcam A70 is gutless so i'd leave well alone, especially if you're looking to partner with B&W 685's!

With regards to an amp for less than £300 - Take a look at Ebay. If youre fine with 2nd hand amps (obviously make sure theyre in mint condition and form a truster seller) then take a look at the Arcam Alpha range (Arcam 8 or 9 integrated amps) or there are some cracking Musical Fidelity amps going currently. There is a MF X-A1 amp thats on there. Superb amp and will go very well with the B&W's.

As above, take a look at the NAD amps as well, new or used on Ebay (Superfi.co.uk) have some good deals on NAD amps currently. The NAD C352 is at a good price. There are one or two decent NAD amps on Ebay also.

If you do look at Ebay and see seperates that youre interested in, make sure the seller is genuine. Also, ask him some questions and see if you can get more pictures as if theyre a hi-fi fanatic then they will be more than happy to supply you with all info requested.

Let us know how you get on!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The NAD C320BEE and the C352 would be spot on.

The C320BEE is a cracking amp and would save you some £££. Means that if you get the B&W 685's then you can purchase soem decent speakers stands to go with them. Make sure thayre mass loadable though as this really improves the sound quality!

GazW649

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
Cheers, can you reccomend any stands? My setup could potentially be:

Cambridge Audio 640C V2, Nad c352, B&W 685s OR:

Cambridge Audio 640C V2, Rotel RA05, B&W 685s, Which is better?

I'll be getting some decent speaker stands and upgrading my cables.

A

Anonymous

Apollo A4/6, about £80, can be mass loaded and sound great.

A

Anonymous

am selling a set of 51 cm custom design RS 302's with the glass base for £80 quid. RRP£140 and immaculate.Just thought i would add that in! The c352 is a cracking amp and could possibly be purchased on the cheap.Seen a few deals on line. i would also listen to mon audio RS1's.they go well with nad stuff and are a good bit better than the bronze 2's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts