Best 5.1 Speaker & Receiver package under $4-5k

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
G'day, I'm just after some of your thoughts on what you think would be a great sounding package for movies and music at this price level. Any suggestions would be great, either seperates or an AVR with 2 channel stereo.

I'm only new to Hi-Fi and Home Cinema. While WHF does have recommendations for Hi-Fi speakers, Home Cinema packages, Stereo amps and AVR's. For a novice like me it would be much easier if there were "suggested match's" for electronics to speakers and vice versa.

The B&W 684, with HTM1 , 683 rears and ASW610XP, seems like a great combination, but what receiver would work well with this selection?

Also the MA RX6 AV system seems like it would be a winner. Some reviews have suggested not partnering with bright electronics.

Sorry to carry on, im just a bit over my head in jargon, and inexperience.

Thanks in advanced.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
brickologist:
G'day, I'm just after some of your thoughts on what you think would be a great sounding package for movies and music at this price level. Any suggestions would be great, either seperates or an AVR with 2 channel stereo.

I'm only new to Hi-Fi and Home Cinema. While WHF does have recommendations for Hi-Fi speakers, Home Cinema packages, Stereo amps and AVR's. For a novice like me it would be much easier if there were "suggested match's" for electronics to speakers and vice versa.

The B&W 684, with HTM1 , 683 rears and ASW610XP, seems like a great combination, but what receiver would work well with this selection?

Also the MA RX6 AV system seems like it would be a winner. Some reviews have suggested not partnering with bright electronics.

Sorry to carry on, im just a bit over my head in jargon, and inexperience.

Thanks in advanced.

. For that sort of money, I would be looking at the B&W 805, Jamo C (can't remember the model), Naim N or similar - basically a big step up from the ones you mention. You could then look at the Denon AVC1HD and the other big hitters from Arcam, Onkyo and Pioneer.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
With that budget you have a lot of choices and a demonstration is the best way to narrow it down.

I would start with a a PMC speaker pack ( OB1/FB1/CB6) and a Pioneer SC-LX82/BDP LX52 combination if you have a decent sized room. If you were looking for a more upfront sound then Onkyo SR5007 with a Dali Ikon surround set up would be my main choice.

Everyone has an opinion as to what sounds best but there are so many factors to consider that are personal to you. Spending some time with a good quality dealer is the best advice I can give.

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Gerrardasnails. Have a look at Arcam AVR600 and compare it to the top models from Denon and Marantz. This with either B&W 700 series or 800 series. The other speaker options for this amount of money are PMC, ProAc or Dynaudio

I guess your choice will also depend on whether music or movies has first priorityÿ

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I'm actually over in Australia. I had forgot to convert the currency. My budget is actually tops of £5000 GPB
emotion-10.gif

Thanks for you advice guys. Big mistake on my part.

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Go for your B&W package. I remember that these were slightly more expensive in Australia compared to UK (Last buying in 2004 in Sydney). So the 684 package should be best for your budget. Only caution is that I found them a bit "bass heavy". I used to have the old 603s, and sold these because of this. Sounds great in the shop, but gets tiring after a while.ÿ

Amps - Test Yamaha, Denon and Marantz. They have different sounds, so one of them should fit your taste. I assume you can't streched to the Arcam AVR500 (£2500 here). Sorry for banging on about the Arcam, but have had Denon, Pioneer and NAD in my search for great soundÿ

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'll refer you to another thread I've been involved with - it's a slightly different budget, but the basics of what I've said will apply.

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/315526.aspx

As far as movie spekaers are concerned, take a look at MK. They design speakers purely designed for reproducing movie soundtracks. Many films have been mastered on an active version of their S150 speaker system. Hi-fi speakers will sound good, but they're designed to reproduce music, which is mastered on large floorstanders. Films are mastered on high quality sub/sat (subwoofer/satellite) speaker packages, comprising of smaller speakers that only deal with frequencies down to 80Hz, from which point a couple of subs are used for all lower frequencies. This has many benefits, which I've mostly mentioned in the thread above, but to summarise: because these films are mastered on a sub sat system, what you hear in your home will depend on what speaker system you have - if you have a sub/sat type system, you'll be hearing that soundtrack much closer to what was intended - use a hi-fi speaker system and you'll be hearing a big speaker's interpretation of the same soundtrack. I find hi-fi speakers are just too polite for movies, and don't bring out the sort of details that the MK's can.

My recommendation to try would be the Yamaha DSPZ7 with the MK LCR750 speaker package. If ever there was an example of system synergy in AV, this is it. From relatively small speakers, this system produces a huge soundstage, bags of detail, with a realism most people wouldn't think was possible at this price point.

MK speaker systems can be configured for specific rooms based on their size and requirements - larger rooms will need bigger subs, so this needs to be taken into account. Any more details on your room size and how loud you like to watch your movies? With the right speaker system, you'll be able to play at 'Reference Level', which, based on room size, will produce the same noise level as a cinema with ease.

A

Anonymous

Hi Frank Harvey,

Quite and interesting read there. I always thought that Home Theatre In A Box Systems are somthing you stay away from if you want Home Theare and Hi-Fi. A wife friendly alternative to traditional speakers.You make a great point in saying a sub/sat system would be more accurate with movies. I've heard great things about M&K from other fourms.

My lounge room is 7m x 5m x 2.4m, firing lengthways, with the couch approx 1-2 feet from the rear wall. I like to watch movies at a moderate to loud level, with plenty of bass. I also plan to use the system for 40% Movies/Blu-Ray. 20% FTA, PayTV, 20% PS3 Gaming and 20% Music. While i dont listen to music much at home, i still think its important. Sorry to complicate things.

How would a sub/sat package like this sound with music? My music collection is compressed audio formats, mainly MP3. Which i store and play on PS3. But would be nice to use an iPod also. The Yamaha Z7 looks like a serious weapon
emotion-2.gif

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I've located a M&K dealer in Australia, but it's a fair
travel from home. While I am seriously considering the LCR750 THX package, in
the meanwhile I might go around to my local Hi-Fi stores and see what else is
on offer until I can take a trip to demo the M&K.

The Yamaha Z7 is a whopping price over here, au $4000 equivalent
to £2300. I have managed to find a good deal on the Pioneer SC LX-81, from £2300 to £1400.

Do you still think the Yamaha Z7 is the way to go? I mean
can it really be worth the extra £800?

So I was thinking that the B&W 684 package, and the SC
LX-81 might balance out nicely. Any thoughts?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
brickologist:
travel from home. While I am seriously considering the LCR750 THX package, in
the meanwhile I might go around to my local Hi-Fi stores and see what else is
on offer until I can take a trip to demo the M&K.

The Yamaha Z7 is a whopping price over here, au $4000 equivalent
to £2300. I have managed to find a good deal on the Pioneer SC LX-81, from £2300 to £1400.

Do you still think the Yamaha Z7 is the way to go? I mean
can it really be worth the extra £800?

So I was thinking that the B&W 684 package, and the SC
LX-81 might balance out nicely. Any thoughts?

I'm sure that would sound superb.

A

Anonymous

Auditioned the B&W 684 with the Pioneer LX81 and Yamaha RX-V3900. The RX-V3900 is my pick over the LX81, it seems to reproduce music a smidgen better. The 684 lack the deail im looking for in a home theatre, Steping up to the CM7 CMC2 and CM1 with Velodyne CHTQ-12. If looks alone could kill, the gloss black is a nice touch. The sound is smooth and sophisticated, while sub packs plenty of punch. the CMC2 makes all the difference with movies, however it is a tad polite for this price

Going out to demo Paradigm Monitor 9 and 11's with CC290 and Atom Monitors for rears with the Rel T2. Again with the RX-V3900. Will report back.

A

Anonymous

brickologist:

Auditioned the B&W 684 with the Pioneer LX81 and Yamaha RX-V3900. The RX-V3900 is my pick over the LX81, it seems to reproduce music a smidgen better. The 684 lack the deail im looking for in a home theatre, Steping up to the CM7 CMC2 and CM1 with Velodyne CHTQ-12. If looks alone could kill, the gloss black is a nice touch. The sound is smooth and sophisticated, while sub packs plenty of punch. the CMC2 makes all the difference with movies, however it is a tad polite for this price

Going out to demo Paradigm Monitor 9 and 11's with CC290 and Atom Monitors for rears with the Rel T2. Again with the RX-V3900. Will report back.

I have the Paradigm Monitors, i suggest you use the CC 390 centre, ADP 390 surrounds and sub DSP 3200 with the Monitor 9's. With the Monitor 11's i'd use same centre and surrounds but change sub to DSP 3400.

A

Anonymous

Hey Charl,

The CC 390 is an absolute beast! The size of it alone intimidates me, i didn't get a chance to hear it running. I'm guessing its similar but much wider sound than the CC 290?

My couch is against the rear wall of the room, i was advised that the Atom Monitors, positioned to the side would work better than the diffused surrounds. Your thoughts?

I see you have the paradigms with the Z7. The Yamaha and Paradigm are a killer combination for home theatre. Very dynamic, lots of abience, strong mid range, and maybe a touch forawd. Deffinatly exciting with movies. How do you find them musically though? Personally i thought it was a little harsh and unforgiving. Probably not as accurate as the CM7.

They also had the monitor audio RS6 in store. Unfortunatly they dont keep stock of the centre and smaller bookshelfs. Apparently they see the Monitor Audios are more of a Hi-Fi speaker, and tend to push Paradigm for home theatre.

I could only test these with 2 channel music. But was pretty impressed. Tight bass, crisp highs, fairly deccent soundstage with great attention to detail. while never tiring to the ear. The build quality at that price is excellent. Has anyone heard and compared it to the Paradigm Monitors for Home Theatre use?

A

Anonymous

brickologist:

Hey Charl,

The CC 390 is an absolute beast! The size of it alone intimidates me, i didn't get a chance to hear it running. I'm guessing its similar but much wider sound than the CC 290?

My couch is against the rear wall of the room, i was advised that the Atom Monitors, positioned to the side would work better than the diffused surrounds. Your thoughts?

I see you have the paradigms with the Z7. The Yamaha and Paradigm are a killer combination for home theatre. Very dynamic, lots of abience, strong mid range, and maybe a touch forawd. Deffinatly exciting with movies. How do you find them musically though? Personally i thought it was a little harsh and unforgiving. Probably not as accurate as the CM7.

They also had the monitor audio RS6 in store. Unfortunatly they dont keep stock of the centre and smaller bookshelfs. Apparently they see the Monitor Audios are more of a Hi-Fi speaker, and tend to push Paradigm for home theatre.

I could only test these with 2 channel music. But was pretty impressed. Tight bass, crisp highs, fairly deccent soundstage with great attention to detail. while never tiring to the ear. The build quality at that price is excellent. Has anyone heard and compared it to the Paradigm Monitors for Home Theatre use?

Hi,

The CC 390 is big, have you seen how big the CC690 is? I have the older version of the Monitors 9's, V3 with the CC370 and ADP 370. Awesome combination although i am thinking of upgrading to Paradigm Studio 100 package or B&W 804 package. My Monitor 9's sound great with the Z7 with movies. I connected them to my Rotel hi fi system, but they let the side down a bit. The B&W 804's blew them away when it came to stereo. I believe the Paradigms are better suited for movies.

I would still choose the ADP's and not the Monitors. Before i had my cinema room i had the ADP positioned to the side and they worked fine. If you ever change your room around or move house you wouldn't have to change speakers.

Rick also recommended the Monitor Audios but i haven't auditioned them yet.

A

Anonymous

There's a CC 690!!
emotion-3.gif
It must be fricken huge! I think i could easily sit my 50" plasma ontop of the CC 390. Hmm petty you dont think the paradigm monitors are to hot with music. Although you are comparing them with a speakers 3 times their price.

I wish i could have heard the new RX6 in a home theatre situation, the store doesn't know if they will be bring in the whole line yet. Hearing the RS6 there isn't much between them and the paradigm in terms of sound quailty, just a different sound, but the Monitor Audios are a built supurbly. The new RX seems like a much more expensive speaker, C-Cam drivers comparied to poly on the Paradigm, real timber veneers etc. Just hoping the smaller RX centre is up to the job of the Paradigm.

A

Anonymous

The CC 690 is in the Studio range and is as wide as my Pana 50 inch!!! I still think the Paradigm Monitors did great with music and if i didn't have a choice i would have used the Paradigm Monitors with my Rotel system, the B&W sounded better. When i looked at stereo speakers i auditioned Paradigm Studio 100's, Paradigm Signature S6, Paradigm Signature S8 and B&W 804's. The Paradigm S6 and S8 came very close to the B&W 804's.

The shop i buy from have recently starting stocking the Monitor Audios, good looking speakers but i haven't listened to them yet. Rick suggested the Monitor Audio RX6 AV 12 with the Yamaha Z7.

The new Studio series from Paradigm also have real wood veneers and sound great with movies.

A

Anonymous

Frank harvey, do the m&k speajers have dedicated stands or do you have to hanf them from the wall or place them on the same stand / cabinet as the tv?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The threaded holes on the new ones are in a different place to the older ones, so the older stands can't be used. There are no dedicated stands produced for them as of yet.

They're the perfect size for the Atacama HMS2's, which have a nice large top plate to suit them, and a decently large bottom plate to keep them stable - which are fillable too. That's what I've ordered for mine anyway
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I was offered a great price on Deffinitive Technology BP7002, with matchin centre and rears. Does anyone have much experience with these?

I listen to the BP7004, which IMO blew appart the B&W CM7 and Focal 816.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts