Best 5.1 between £700 and £1500

alun

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I was going to purchase the Yamaha YSP-4300 Sound Projector, but came to my senses and I now want to purchase a 5.1 system that will also give me a good as near Hi-Fi quality for playing back CDs. Doing research as I write and I fancy the: Kef E305, Kef KHT2005.3, B&W MT-50, Q Acoustics Q7000, Monotor Audio Mass and Focal Dome 5.1. I also like the look of the B&W MT-60 (especially the sub woofer), but it it is a little too expensive. My AV Receiver is the Onkyo TX- SR608 and the 5.1 speakers to be replaced are the Mission FS2-AV. I would appreciate any advice on the matter. "Big Boss" help!!!

Here's what I would recommend for your budget. Excellent for music as well:

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/monitor_audio_r90hdav12.shtml

I have demoed this with your receiver, and it works well.

Both B&W MT50 & 60 are very good. MT60 is superior obviously, especially due to that sub. Your other option is to go for MT50, with a BK sub. I haven't heard the BK personally, but I've read only positive reviews about them.

I didn't like the Kef 2005.3. It didn't sound exciting to me. You can do better for the money. 3005SE is better.

Kef E305 looks very good. I haven't heard it personally.

Monitor Audio Mass also sounds very very good for the money.

I haven't heard the Focal Dome and so can't comment.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I rate the q acoustics q7000 highly. Neutral, clear, accurate. Don't know what the sub is like but you could afford to buy one of your choice with (some of) your remaining budget.

BenLaw said:
I rate the q acoustics q7000 highly. Neutral, clear, accurate. Don't know what the sub is like but you could afford to buy one of your choice with (some of) your remaining budget.

I have to audition the Q acoustics! I've heard praises about the Q7000, but never got round to checking them out. :)

To the OP: Definitely demo your short list before purchase. Once you choose your speakers, we could maybe persuade you to upgrade your AV receiver in the future! ;)

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I have this: http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/home-cinema-separates-bundle-deals/pah01869

I think it's fantastic value at this price. They partner very well together. As Ben Law mentioned, the q7000s give a pretty neutral overall sound and dialogue is very clear from the centre. A few reviews mentioned that the sub needs taming and is a bit overpowering, but this is easily fixed by tweaking the settings to your liking. Also good with music and they look fantastic. I've got the dedicated stands for the rears which also look great.

alun

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Big Boss, you are always there when needed, you are top man. Thank you also to BenLaw and Mikey2008 for your inputs as well. I have taken everything on board that you have all advised and I intend to demo all that are on my list. Regarding an AV Receiver upgrade Big Boss, I fancy the Yamaha RX-V673 or something similar working to a £500 budget, but my wife would go mental on me, as I have not told her about the extra cost for speaker stands and cables yet, that will set me back a few £100 Ouch!!! My Onkyo TX-SR608 only cost me £219 two years ago, what a bargain at the time from Richer Sounds. My other equipment is a Samsung 46D8000 3D DTV, Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D Blu-ray, Sony RDR-HXD860 DVD Recorder, Sky+HD Box and Mission FS2-AV 5.1 Speakers.

Denon 3313 can be had at silly prices. Yamaha RX-V673 is also good, the Denon is superior. You could get some nice deals if you buy the receiver & speakers together. Why can't you use your existing cables instead of splashing out on new ones?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Quite a few retailers might throw in the cables as part of the deal,shop around play them off against each other >)

alun

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I thought that I would replace the speaker cables (14 years old) that came with the Mission FS2-AV, which are the flat type speaker cables. I thought it would be a good upgrade because, I was having new speakers and I don't really want flat speaker cables for the new speakers. So two upgrades in one sort of. I was hoping for a good deal to be honest on the speaker cables, free would be an absolute bonus! The Denon 3313, I will have to research I think.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
You might get more satisfaction from 2.1 or 3.1. This would let you purchase better speakers.

I had a pretty decent 5.1 and enjoyed it, but currently my 2.1 is better.

Depending on how far your front speakers will be apart, you may find a centre speaker unnecessary. I agree a centre is an ideal,, but I'd preferably spread my budget over 2 speakers instead of 5 ( + a sub of course)

alun

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
After some careful thought and deliberation and some kind advice from Adrian of AudioT Swansea, I have decided to purchase in the near future the B&W MT-50 speaker package in white, i.e. M-1 satellites and the ASW608 subwoofer. Thank you everyone for their input on the subject.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts