best 3.1 av setup

Ted Carron

Nov 6, 2020
Visit site
Such a shame W.H.F. doesn't review 3.1 TV audio setups. I know a few people who want a proper stereo separation and sub woofer atmosphere but don't want speakers all over the room. It is proving impossible to get good information on this setup.

If anyone has any recommendations at the £2K mark for systems which they know will run well in this configuration I would be eternally grateful.

Ted

Such a shame W.H.F. doesn't review 3.1 TV audio setups. I know a few people who want a proper stereo separation and sub woofer atmosphere but don't want speakers all over the room. It is proving impossible to get good information on this setup.

If anyone has any recommendations at the £2K mark for systems which they know will run well in this configuration I would be eternally grateful.

Ted
Surely all reviews are relevant whether or not you choose to leave out some speakers?
Just get a recommended AV receiver and just connect the speakers you want. A 5.1 setup will be the same with 2 less speakers connected.
Or am I missing something here?

Ted Carron

Nov 6, 2020
Visit site
Surely all reviews are relevant whether or not you choose to leave out some speakers?
I’m not sure that’s the case. Do all or only some systems mix in the rear channels with the speakers that are hooked up ( that would be nice. ) or do you just end up loosing that portion of the sound track?

If they do mix the missing channels in with the live ones different systems are bound to handle it differently.

daytona600

on wall / or shelf for centre

ebe94b_367d_DefTech-XTRS0-TV-altImage.jpg

AdamRC

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi, this is the dilemma I’m in at the moment as well! I’ve got c £2k speakers (centre, fronts and a sub) but don’t know whether some of the latest AV amps would be over kill for just 3.1. From the thread above, it appears that they work just as well even with less speakers.

Ted Carron

Nov 6, 2020
Visit site
It is definitely not as simple as that.
I looked at the manual for the Sony STR-DN1080 which looks pretty good in terms of features and performance. But.....
You have to select a 'sound field' which controls which speakers get a signal. As well as sound fields which pump out a signal to speakers at the side and behind there is a 2.1 sound field setting which puts out a signal to left right and sub woofer but there is no 3.1 setting.

AdamRC

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi that’s really useful as I was considering Denons. I checked an online user manual for model Denon 4500 but couldn’t see anything less than 5.1. What model number is yours please? Thanks

Ted Carron

Nov 6, 2020
Visit site
Wow thanks. That does look good. I looked at the manual for the Denon AVR-X6400 As you say you can manually specify which speakers are connected (and also their ability to deal with base) or you can just let the system work it out for itself.
The only small problem is the extra 400 is quid over the Sony lol
That is an awful lot of amp just to drive 3.1 speakers from a single TV source but it might be worth it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts