5.1 system possible with only 3 separate 2 core cables?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

abacus

jdawson2402 said:
OK, thanks again Bill. Perhaps it’s best for me to just describe the products we were planning to purchase. Because I’m now a little confused over whether it’s the AV receiver’s maximum or minimum output to / from the speakers that we need to be worried about.

In-ceiling speakers: 4 x Apart CMX20T: http://www.apart-audio.com/Category/Details5?cat2=APART&cat3=01.LOUDSPEAKERS&cat4=1000_BUILTIN&cat5=1010_CEILING&productcode=CMX20T. These are 16ohm impedance, but we can also get 8ohm versions.

AV receiver: Yamaha YXV477: http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv477/yama-rxv477-blk. This is supposed to support a 5.1 system. It’s spec states “Maximum power output per channel - RMS into 8 ohms” and then “80 x 5 (6 ohms)”.

So if we wire the 4 ceiling speakers using 2 series circuits (and add a fifth “central” speaker) would that Yamaha amp be able to cope? As you say 16ohms in series = 32ohms for a single channel. And 8 ohms in series still = 16ohms. These are both greater than the “maximum power output per channel” stated above.

Incidentally, even if you confirm that the AV-receiver and series speaker wiring can all work together, it’s still true that we can’t support a 5-channel surround sound with this setup, isn’t it? That’s what we wanted our electrician to wire!

If you get the 16 ohm versions connect them in parallel

If you get the 8 ohm versions connect them in series

NOTE: Don’t forget to disconnect the transformer from the speakers (Full details are in the speaker manual)

If you follow the above everything should work fine as a 3/3.1 channel system.

Hope this helps

Bill

jdawson2402

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I think we've sorted it out to get 5.1 surround sound! We'll use the 2-core cables already in for the rear speakers. And then the builder will get 2 new cables (bit of damage to plaster) up into the ceiling just above, so as close to the wall as possible. Hope that still works! Thanks everyone for their help.

TRENDING THREADS