Beresford Caiman USB issues and FLAC transcoding

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently upgraded all of my kit from low end budget stuff to what I'd class as a permanent grin transplant! (see footer)

I bought a Beresford Caiman DAC which I run my NAD C520 CD player and a Roku Soundbridge through. After leaving the DAC running permanently for a week I can say that I am very impressed with the difference the DAC has brought to the system as a whole.

I am having a problem with the USB part of the DAC. I had a feeling that this would be a bit of a hassle to get working as however good the DAC is the weak side is the WIndows 7 powered laptop. I know that the DAC works fine via USB because I have managed to get it working once. The rest of the time all I have heard from it is a heavily distorted version of what I want to hear! I have tried all the usual suggestions of making sure that the Windows sounds are turned off, only having MonkeyMedia open and making sure my power settings are set to full power for the processor, USB etc.......

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Finally, I would rather just stream all my music via the Roku Soundbridge but it will not play FLAC and a lot of the files I have on my laptop are FLAC files. I use TVersity as a method of sharing out and streaming my music library. Does anyone know if Tversity will transcode FLAC files to MP3 on the fly so that the Roku will play them?

A

Anonymous

Heavily distorted means, I suspect, a signal that the DAC can not handle, not power/sounds off etc.

What MM output plugin are you using? Select wave out, for instance, with the default settings. Also, Win7 let's you select the sample rate of the output. Click on the speaker icon in the taskbar while playing, and see if it is set to 44.1/16

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Pete10,

I connected the laptop to the DAC and changed the MM output plugin to Wave and it has worked fine since :) I hope it continues to work now. It's great having all your albums in one place and being able to flick through them.

TRENDING THREADS