benchmark dac1 owners

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
hi, i'm very keen on the benchmark dac, and was wondering if any owners could give feedback on what they thought of it?

i've read some great reviews but would like to hear thoughts on its sound, and if anyone knows how it fares as a pre amp?

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I use the Benchmark DAC-1 USB connected to an Apple iMac (via USB) streaming Apple Lossless files (over Powerline adaptors) from a Buffalo Terastation. The DAC is connected to a Leema Tucana via Chord Chorus 2 driving Monopulse 32A's. It just plugs in and doesn't require any drivers. You do have to make a few modifications to the audio output on the computer but other than that it is ready to go.

I went from a Rega Apollo to the Benchmark and have been very pleased with my decision. It gives a very transparent sound with excellent soundstaging and dynamics. Female vocals are especially good. It is unforgiving of poor quality recordings though.

I haven't used it as a Preamp but do use it as a Headphone amp and again have been very pleased with the results.

All in all an excellent piece of kit.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm very happy with my Benchmark DAC1. I currently use it as DAC and Headphone AMP in my Headphone system, and plan to build a very nice 2 channel setup around it eventually...

If you want more details, you can read my detailed review here:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=28827

A

Anonymous

Benchmark DAC1 connected to an iMacÿby opticalÿfed by a Thecus N200 on the network. In turn it is connected to a Nait 5i with RCA and onto B&W 805s with Chord Epic. I concur with all of the above adding that this DAC is a proper studio DAC and has no real character - it is as transparent as they come. Timing, detailing, soundstaging and dynamics are top notch. I would however try and sample a couple more DACs before you put the notes down all the major ones offer a trial period. I tried the Stello (not the Signature) and the Harmony before I settled on the Benchmark though I now wish I'd tried the Lavry DA10 and the Stello Signature, though at the moment the Lavry has to come from Germany because they have no UK distributor.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:Benchmark DAC1 connected to an iMac by optical fed by a Thecus N200 on the network. In turn it is connected to a Nait 5i with RCA and onto B&W 805s with Chord Epic. I concur with all of the above adding that this DAC is a proper studio DAC and has no real character - it is as transparent as they come. Timing, detailing, soundstaging and dynamics are top notch. I would however try and sample a couple more DACs before you put the notes down all the major ones offer a trial period. I tried the Stello (not the Signature) and the Harmony before I settled on the Benchmark though I now wish I'd tried the Lavry DA10 and the Stello Signature, though at the moment the Lavry has to come from Germany because they have no UK distributor.

Very interesting setup... especially since I'm considering the Nait 5i as a possible amp for use with the Benchmark... I've heard and been very impressed by the B&W 805S (if only I could get the 804S for that price, as I really want towers)....

A

Anonymous

Ajani:
especially since I'm considering the Nait 5i as a possible amp for use with the Benchmark... I've heard and been very impressed by the B&W 805S (if only I could get the 804S for that price, as I really want towers).... ÿ

I think the three work well together though I really want to try the DA10 as it is supposed to compliment Naim gear well. Going by the recent review of the XS I'm really keen to try it, it sounds like a big leap up from the 5i. I'm also planning on changing the speakers to the Motive 1 quite soon so if you're still in the market for amp and speakers by then you can have mine!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
thanks for the replies, appreciated. the naim xs is on my list to audition too. along with the new primare power amp (a33.2?)
emotion-19.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts