Bel Canto CD2 is better transport than Cyrus CDSTSE+?

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
From the review in Hi-Fi World december 2011:

"Listening to the excellent Cyrus CD Xt SE+ transport, which costs f1,550, the opening of Mahler's second symphony is more rounded sonically. There seems to be less detail to the bass, while it is a pleasant sound, it lacks the definition that the Bel Canto has, almost as if there is a cloud of dust surrounding the music. Cello and bass notes don't have the same sting and attack. The soundstage doesn't have the same sense of layering that the Bel Canto provides as a transport. It is quite hard to tell that the basses and cellos are playing an octave apart, both pitches being subsumed into a single note. On this recording the Bel Canto does a better job on its own than the Cyrus does using the Weiss DAC202. This surprisingly shows the importance and contribution that a good transport makes."

Quite surprising to hear, taking into account that Bel Canto is Transport, Cd player, Preamp.. all in one

I would like to hear your opinions!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
In this case, I agree with HFW....I have been regularly recommending Bel Canto; and it is also my view that the Transport has a bigger effect than people realize.

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
krolikgena said:
From the review in Hi-Fi World december 2011:

"Listening to the excellent Cyrus CD Xt SE+ transport, which costs f1,550, the opening of Mahler's second symphony is more rounded sonically. There seems to be less detail to the bass, while it is a pleasant sound, it lacks the definition that the Bel Canto has, almost as if there is a cloud of dust surrounding the music. Cello and bass notes don't have the same sting and attack. The soundstage doesn't have the same sense of layering that the Bel Canto provides as a transport. It is quite hard to tell that the basses and cellos are playing an octave apart, both pitches being subsumed into a single note. On this recording the Bel Canto does a better job on its own than the Cyrus does using the Weiss DAC202. This surprisingly shows the importance and contribution that a good transport makes."

Quite surprising to hear, taking into account that Bel Canto is Transport, Cd player, Preamp.. all in one

I would like to hear your opinions!

Hi,

Doesn't surprise me at all IMO Bel Canto is a superior brand.

Cheers

Mac

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As the Bel Canto is a CD, DAC, and a pre in one box, this may give it an advantage. How was the Bel Canto tested? As a CD player? As a CD/pre? If it was tested as a CD/pre, what pre and DAC was the CDXTse Plus played through?

A few more details are needed really before being able to appreciate where the reviewer is coming from :)

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
David,

Bel Canto was used as transport feeding Weiss Dac202/Bel Canto Dac3.5vb and also as a cd player. The equipment used is: VAC auricle musicblock power amps, B&W 802D, Townshend Seismic Speaker Cradles, Chord Indigo Plus cable, Coherent systems 5D digital cable, Chord Epic Twin cable. The Weiss is also used as pre.

Why CD/Dac/Pre in one unit may have an advantage? i guess it's not the case with DacXP+ from WHF review which scored only 4 stars compared to the glowing review of single DacX+.

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Cno,

"Connecting CD2 to the more expensive Weiss Dac202 immediately opens up the soundstage and gives more detail to the bass as you hear the decay in the bass notes more clearly - some of this pedantry dissolves into a more articulated and detailed grunt. It is delightfuk to hear the first orchestral climax arrive with such raw power, and with a natural aural map as to where all the instruments are sitting."

then he compares Weiss to Dac3.5VB with additional VBS power supply (still cheaper than the Weiss), and says that they are almost on par, it's down to individual taste, but his own preference is "for the aquiline meticulousness of the Weiss, for it's studio like accuracy"

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
krolikgena said:
Why CD/Dac/Pre in one unit may have an advantage? i guess it's not the case with DacXP+ from WHF review which scored only 4 stars compared to the glowing review of single DacX+.

Lack of a pair of quality redicung interconnect, and usually, a DAC's pre-amp will usually be doing it's stuff in the digital domain.

I'd take the DACxp Plus over the DAC anytime (and replace the pre in the process).

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
David, would you explain why you'd take DacXp+ over the Dac X+ and then replacing the pre? would it not be better to buy just a Dac and save money on the pre section in dacxp if it will not be used at all? also you say that interconnect reduce signal quality.. maybe i'm missing something?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You have the following to choices:

Running a digital signal from a CD player into a DAC, converting to analogue, then sending it down an analogue cable to a pre-amp, then sending that analogue signal down another analogue cable to the power amp.

Or...

The CD player reads the digital signal off the disc, sending it digitally to it's own internal pre-amp (and control like balance etc is done digitally) then converts to analogue and sent down an analogue cable directly to the power amp.

Which would you choose, in theory?

I'm not saying that will always be the best way as it'll also depend on the quality of the components used, but with products from the likes of Audiolab, Wadia, Leema etc, we now have digital products (be they a source or a pre-amplifier) that cut down on the amount of boxes needed, which in turn cuts down on the possibility for colouring or distorting the signal. There's also many arguments that are used for active speakers that can be used for these sort of products too.

As far as interconnects are concerned, I'm not even going there :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts