Beginners Guide

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any chance allocating a page (or two) to a beginners guide on all things relating to HiFi and AV?

Although I have been buying the mag for well over a year now there are still many things I am not sure of. I don't think I am alone in this judging by the number of "newbie" questions appearing on the forums.

I assume that a significant number of mag buyers are people, like myself, who have got the bug later in life and are looking to expand their knowledge, and would appreciate some guidance on the very basics.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew

What I would like to see would be just a couple of pages in each edition which outline, in simple terms, how to build a HiFi/AVsystem, explain the different types of hardware and features available, and how to connect them together.

Perhaps 70-80% of your readers understand all of the technology and all the jargon used, but such a feature would be very useful to people like me and possibly many others. This may make the mag even more appealing!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Just a couple of pages in the magazine each month might be hard to acquire, but it's certainly something I'll suggest to the review team with a view to getting such a guide online for reference purposes.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A seperately published book (like an up-to-date version of the old "Hi-fi In the Home" by John Crabbe, or "The Which? Guide to Hi-fi") explaining how it all works and how to set it all up would be nice.

Obviously these publications were pre-Digital but, apart from that, not a lot has changed with the fundamentals of amplifiers and speakers and stereo itself.

I'll bet a number of manufacturers would be happy to contribute technical 'how it works' sections in return for being able to use photos of their own products in the explanations.

Maybe Gramophone and WHF could publish it jointly. Both are Haymarket after all.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...And just when I thought all I had to do today was write up a couple of reviews...
emotion-3.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts