Question Beginner system advice

LasseMajja

Mar 26, 2021
Visit site
Hi, so I have grown a bit tired of my current setup at home which is basically a Pioneer PL-30-k through a Marshall Stanmore. Im currently planning on moving on to a more "serious" hifi setup and would appreciate some input.

I have looked at an amp by NAD, the C338. I like the idea to hook it all up to my google home setup. And the reviews I have found looks nice. My only concern really is that the speakers I have looked at are Dali Spektor 2 which seems to be a bit loud in the treble area. Does anyone know how the C338 is overall, could the spektor 2 be balanced out by the amp or is it more like a placement issue of the speakers?

When it comes to turntable I have been going back and forth between Rega Planar and Pro Jects debut carbon evo. I guess I will go with the evo in the end since I have a bunch of maxi singels and dont fancy the idea of manually changing the speed.

Ofcourse I will have to go and test it all out in a store, but as the situation is right now, I have to book a time to test listen, so just wanted some input here aswell. :)

rainsoothe

A demo is the only way to know for sure. The Nad is very smooth sounding, so bright speakers should not make for a problematic partnership. How big is your room, and will the speakers be placed on stands? Also what will your sources be? What kind of music do you listen to and what's your max budget?

LasseMajja

Mar 26, 2021
Visit site
A demo is the only way to know for sure. The Nad is very smooth sounding, so bright speakers should not make for a problematic partnership. How big is your room, and will the speakers be placed on stands? Also what will your sources be? What kind of music do you listen to and what's your max budget?
Thanks for the reply!

The room is a normal sized livingroom. I have two IKEA kalax placed on each side of my tv. My thought was to place the speakers on those with like rubber feets. The height should be pretty good and the distance from the speaker to the sofa where I usually sit and listen is around three meters. The majority of my record collection is old metal albums (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica,Venom and so on) so that is what i listen to the most. When it comes to max budget i think around 1500$ maybe a bit higher.

Surround

Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
If you are about to get a speaker system. Avoid the Jamo and Klipsch brands. I have Jamo speakers and a problem with them. The Jamo manufacturer is not interested in my problem because they have received the money. No one answers questions in their customer service, even though the question was asked almost two months ago. Be prepared for this if you buy Jamo or Klipsch brands, you are alone with your problems!

D

Deleted member 116933

That really isn't my experience at all with my many NAD's. There not bright but NAD isn't a smooth listen its an edge of the seat listen, bold and exciting . It can lead to a very fatiguing sound if not paired right.

Op id probably look at starting search speaker wise with KEF/Tannoy/wharfdale if you don't like the sparkle of dali. But with the music you like id look into BW and rotel to really lean into it. Maybe add Yamaha into the mix.

And sorry get some stands don't place them on Kalax, Atacma 24se's are 20-50£$ on ebay all day long they dont have to be expsensive (though they where back in the day and built like :poop: brick houses )

D

Deleted member 116933

If you are about to get a speaker system. Avoid the Jamo and Klipsch brands. I have Jamo speakers and a problem with them. The Jamo manufacturer is not interested in my problem because they have received the money. No one answers questions in their customer service, even though the question was asked almost two months ago. Be prepared for this if you buy Jamo or Klipsch brands, you are alone with your problems!

Why would that be problem? you'd be taking up faults/problems with the dealers/outlets of the products in the first instance then they'll sort any warranty claims on your behalf if needed. Big brands dont handle claim outside of the proper channels.

SVS for example talk to there customers because you can actually buy direct from them.

You already have another thread going on this subject matter.
Please do not continue it in this thread, it's hijacking and irrelevant.
No further responses to this post here please guys, let's continue with the OPs question.

rainsoothe

That really isn't my experience at all with my many NAD's. There not bright but NAD isn't a smooth listen its an edge of the seat listen, bold and exciting . It can lead to a very fatiguing sound if not paired right.

Op id probably look at starting search speaker wise with KEF/Tannoy/wharfdale if you don't like the sparkle of dali. But with the music you like id look into BW and rotel to really lean into it. Maybe add Yamaha into the mix.

And sorry get some stands don't place them on Kalax, Atacma 24se's are 20-50£$ on ebay all day long they dont have to be expsensive (though they where back in the day and built like :poop: brick houses )
That's true for their AB stuff, the complaints about their class D entry level amps are that they're not as engaging as they should be in every review I've read or watched.

rainsoothe

Thanks for the reply!

The room is a normal sized livingroom. I have two IKEA kalax placed on each side of my tv. My thought was to place the speakers on those with like rubber feets. The height should be pretty good and the distance from the speaker to the sofa where I usually sit and listen is around three meters. The majority of my record collection is old metal albums (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica,Venom and so on) so that is what i listen to the most. When it comes to max budget i think around 1500$ maybe a bit higher.
The Nad is a good starting place, but I would also look at something like the Musical Fidelity M2si (I read somewhere it goes on discount for as little as 6-700$ sometimes, which is a steal) or a sh or discounted Rogue Audio Sphinx, if you're in the US. Add a Google Chromecast Audio (discountinued, but can still be found), and you'll have the Google Home integration you need. I'll also second the stands suggestion, if you can accommodate them. Lots of other speakers to look into as well, like Elac and, if they fit your budget, Martin Logan Motion stuff, PSB and many more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts