Beginner Help Needed!

JoshuaWhat91

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi all!

I've been out of the game for a long while and wanting to get back into it.

I had a CD player when I was a kid, which I was able to hook my turntable up to (not a particularly fancy setup), and really enjoyed playing CDs and vinyl. It was cheaper back in the early-mid 2000s to buy pre-owned vinyl than CDs, so I amassed a reasonable collection. I then went off to study, and not having the space or money just listened to music through the built in laptop speakers or on my phone. I really miss the listening experience, and don't like listening to odd songs here and there on youtube/spotify and having advert breaks in-between every song.

I listen to mostly, blues, jazz, funk, rock and metal, and the odd bit of classical guitar. Nothing particularly orchestral/Dub/ Hip-hop/RnB/Drum and Bass.

Long story short, I am looking at getting a CD player, amplifier, turntable and desktop/bookshelf speakers. I have quite a small room, maybe 7ft by 10ft, so I can't have a massive set up.

I'm looking at Marantz CD6007, Marantz PM6007, Wharfedale evo 4.1 and a Rega Planar 2.

Do you think this is a good place to start? Is there anything I am missing, or connectivity problems? I don't think this is a setup that I will grow out of quickly, but happy for input.

I've been listening to music on terrible laptop speakers and rather bad earbud headphones, so anything will be a sound improvement. I also play in a loud pub band, so I don't expect my ears will be audiophile grade!

Many thanks!
Josh

Gray

I've been listening to music on terrible laptop speakers and rather bad earbud headphones, so anything will be a sound improvement.
You said it Josh (y)
Your choices will work together - and will sound better.
Will they be the best combination you could pick?
Have any of us got the best combination possible?
The law of averages says not - because we can all only hear a limited amount of stuff before settling.

One thing's certain though. Nobody can tell you what will sound right to you.
So yes, you've picked some well liked products. People here could attempt to tell you how they'll sound together......but one person's "too bright", is another's "just right".
Only you can judge by listening to options for yourself.

Good luck.

Reactions: WayneKerr

matthewpianist

You've hit the nail on the head with the Marantz PM6007/CD6007, there's nothing to touch them at the price and they compete with quite a bit of more expensive kit too . If you wish to try an alternative, there's the Rotel Tribute A11/CD11, but I don't find these as convincing or as nice to use overall. There's excellent options from Denon though, and it's worth you trying the DCD800NE and PMA800NE.

I would suggest looking at the Project Debut Carbon Pro turntable, and trying a wider range of speakers. The B&W 607s2 are a brilliant match and sound great with the wide range of music you listen to. They're a better all-round balance of excitement and refinement than the Evo 4.1. You might, alternatively, find the JBL 52L Classic suit you. I've tried all sorts of speakers and I love the JBLs, they're engaging across all types of music and extremely well balanced across the frequency range. Soundstaging is exceptional, and there's plenty of detail without the sound ever becoming tiring. Finally, it's also worth listening to the Quad S2 (wonderful treble if a little light in the bass), and Dali Oberon 1 and 3.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts