BBC HD has new encoders but slashes bit rates by 40% at same time

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

barrywi:As a retired BBC cameraman I am particularly upset about this ,as I know the detailed effort that goes into producing the programs by all the staff. Please will someone at the BBC listen to what we are saying and get it sorted.

I'm currently watching the Newcastle match and had to turn to SD just remind myself it was in HD. There seems to be much more motion blur than there used to be, and the only shots which look half decent are the slow mos.

Sort it Aunty! This is disgusting considering we pay a license fee.

emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

Bought Foxsat box 6 months to watch BBC HD and I was honestly impressed, the difference was a great step up from SD.

Now 6 months on I can't really notice that much of a step up, it's lost its detail.

Poor show all round, gutted!

A

Anonymous

I have a Foxsat box/Samsung hdtv which I infrequently use to watch HD due to lack of content. Turned on the Match last night specifically to watch in HD and thought there was something wrong with my eyes because, honestly, I couldn't tell that the picture was HD and certainly not the quality I had been used to watching 6 months ago! Swapping channels between SD and HD there was very little difference; I shall now cancel the appointment I made with my optician, as well as cancelling an order for an additional tv for a bedroom in favour of good old fm radio until they kill-off that!

A

Anonymous

I totally agree that BBC HD is no better than SD BBC lately. What a step backwards by a mega-loaded BBC all funded by US! Why not cancel some of the rubbish programmes they have been producing recently. They could then spend the extra cash getting decent encoders to show the rare good stuff they do in decent HD quality
emotion-45.gif

drenco

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
In my opinion nothing is excellent anymore on BBC HD i used to watch anything and most of the time i thought it looked beautiful, very sharp clean and lovely colours, then after some months of not using BBC HD, coincidently unbeknown to me they had slashed the bitrates i was watching it for about a week trying to figure out am i going off of my head because it looks S""t i called a friend with the same freesat Humax PVR box to see if his was the same, which it was, so all of a sudden most of the sharp uber clean lovely coloured image had been taken away, then obviously after looking on the internet i knew what the BBC had done. Terrible it certainly cant be used to show off the picture quality of your system anymore thats for sure.

zientific

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Actually you are right, must have been just the one programme coming out ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or perhaps too much of the xmas beverages!!!!!!! Most things I watched over the last week are certainly not of the same standard of a year ago!!

A

Anonymous

Totally agree, the Topgear HD broadcasts look very good. Is it the material or perhaps the cameras used?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts