bass managment

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Is there any way I can send the LFE channel to my L + R speakers and let my Sub take the sub 40Hz information ? If I turn the su on it only gives me the option to send LFE to the sub or the Sub and L+R I find 80Hz is far too high for the crossover for LFE !!! I want sub and rumbles to be felt through the floor and not heard at all. Id rather my L + R tannoys take car of everything else - much sharper and cleaner bass!!

Ideally Id like the LFE to just go to my mains and set the mains to roll of at 40Hz for the sub to take over from there...is there any way this can be done ??

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Sorry I should have mentioned Im using a Denon AVR2808 (soon to be rplaced by a Pioneer SC-LX85) THe minimum crossover is 80HZ for LFE on my amp, only the seperate channels of L+R, Centre and Rear can be set lower to 40Hz.

I was hoping there was a way of sending the LFE channels, then setting a crossover to 40Hz on my mains for the sub to take over. But there seems to be no way of sending the lfe to my mains without turning the sub woofer off.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Does your sub have high-level/speaker level inputs? If so, you could turn off the sub output on the receiver, thus sending everything to the L+R speakers, connect the sub in parallel with the L+R speakers and use the crossover on the sub to dial it down to sub-40Hz.

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
umbucker said:
Is there any way I can send the LFE channel to my L + R speakers and let my Sub take the sub 40Hz information ? If I turn the su on it only gives me the option to send LFE to the sub or the Sub and L+R I find 80Hz is far too high for the crossover for LFE !!! I want sub and rumbles to be felt through the floor and not heard at all. Id rather my L + R tannoys take car of everything else - much sharper and cleaner bass!! Ideally Id like the LFE to just go to my mains and set the mains to roll of at 40Hz for the sub to take over from there...is there any way this can be done ??

LFE only goes to the sub period. The low frequency content however is still encoded into the speaker channels for those who do not have a sub. If you want your sub to produce LFE of only 40hz and under, then you need to set the LFE crossover as low as you can in your AVR. The issue you will have is that the LFE channel is 10db hot of the normal channel, so the LFE content that is removed will be played out from the speakers but at the normal quieter level. Whether you like that or not only you could say. As already pointed out, you will need to adjust the speaker crossover to suit the frequency of the subs crossover point, otherwise you'll end up with a hole in the frequency range.

I would also just like to say however, that if your sub sounds worse than the speakers, you either have a very poor sub, or it is setup completely wrong. It might be worth looking into.

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Does your sub have high-level/speaker level inputs? If so, you could turn off the sub output on the receiver, thus sending everything to the L+R speakers, connect the sub in parallel with the L+R speakers and use the crossover on the sub to dial it down to sub-40Hz.
This would be my preferred meathod of connection. The only problem with this is that if you use something like Audyssey you wont get the room correction for the sub, and these systems usually have twice the filter resolution or more for the sub channel than they do for the speakers. Its sounds like you either dont have anything like that, your not using it, or you dont like it anyway, so it might be of little concern.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts