Basic DAC Question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
danielcollins90 said:
I think I may get the NAD as that ticks every box and shelve the idea of a CD player, I want quality and if I can get that from a good FLAC copy then I'm happy to get that that way.

If you decide to get the NAD, I'd make a point to audition it first with your speakers.

If you intend to use it as a full integrated amplifier, be aware that it has much less power than you current system, and it may not be a good match for your Monitor Audio BX5—the D 7050 has less power than the minimum recommended by Monitor Audio for these speakers.

Also, people in this forum have posted mixed reviews about the DAC of the smaller amplifier of the series, the D 3020.

If you intend to add the D 7050 to your current setup, take into account that it only has preamp outputs, which likely imprint a voicing to the sound—more so, given its choice of amplifier section.

It'd be great if there were more opinions in the forum about this amplifier.

danielcollins90

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I've come full circle again - after doing some more digging I think if I'm looking at spending that kind of money on just a network player (I wouldn't use the integrated amplifier) then I'm probably better off buying a new A/V receiver with all the features I want in that.

I've been looking at Pioneer's and kinda ruled it down to http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/22/98/405/SC-2024-K/page.html but I can't find any reviews on it, think it's a new 2014 model. That's only £100 more than just the NAD on it's own.

I need to look at Denon/Yamaha/Marantz yet but last time I started looking at Yamaha's I ended up with such a headache, they have so many different products all with (IMO) similar features. Hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. I'd look at NAD A/V receivers but I don't think I've got that kind of budget...

What's the general consensus on the quality of Pioneer DAC's? I seem to remember seeing it's a Sabre Premier DAC. My knowledge of DAC chipsets goes as far as Wolfson.

catalogguy

May 18, 2014
Visit site
What about the new Monitor Audio A100 Airstream amp? It connects via wifi and has a built-in DAC. You could rip your CDs into Apple Lossless format and use iTunes with AirPlay, and all this is free beyond the cost of the amp, which is very reasonably priced. It also supports DLNA so you could stream higher res if you want to set that up with software, which can also be had for free or low cost. The A100 also allows you to play directly from your iPhone (iPod, iPad, etc.), if you have that.

I haven't heard it yet, and it is stlll too new to have an in depth review out there, so there is some uncertainty, but there is much enthusiasm and optimism in the press about the audio quality. Unless you are looking for more than 2 channels, or for something with really high power, then this amp may be something worth looking at.

danielcollins90

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Actually, I think I may have been a bit misleading - I'm not willing to give up the surroundsound part of the amp as it'd be a combined HiFi/Home Theatre system for me.

The Monitor Audio Airstream looks good but it's a lot of money for something that doesn't tick all the box's...

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
danielcollins90 said:
Actually, I think I may have been a bit misleading - I'm not willing to give up the surroundsound part of the amp as it'd be a combined HiFi/Home Theatre system for me.

The Monitor Audio Airstream looks good but it's a lot of money for something that doesn't tick all the box's...

You should get the NAD. I own the lil brother D 3020 and I can confirm DAC is very very good. I listen to many DACs and the only superior DacS to the NAD is dacs with ess sabre chipset.

About the power: NAD is 45 + 45 on 8 ohm then nads amplifiers are usually generous. Mine D 3020 is 30 + 30 then was tested 42 + 42, so D 7050 is probably a real 60 + 60 and it can surely pilot your speakers very well. Don't make the mistake to buy an A/V amp as an hi-fi amp becouse it isn't and it definitely sound a lot worst compared to an hi-fi amp.

Nad class D amp also do have a patent anti clipping technology very well worth.

danielcollins90

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
So I took the plunge the other weekend and excuse the pun, richer sounds became a little bit richer.

I got:

Monitor Audio BX6's
Monitor Audio BX Centre
Monitor Audio BXW10

And some four core cables for when I bi-wire the BX6's - I'm running them of my rather poor Onkyo HT R990 at the moment but I think I'm gonna get the Pioneer SCLX57K at some point as that ticks all the box's. Did look at Yamaha's but once I filtered out what I wanted they were well north of £1500+.

I'm really pleased with the setup, although the superb mid-bass I'm sure my neighbours dislike me.. great for my taste in dance music.

I worked out the answer to my original question, I was confusing decoding with a DAC - I was thinking a DAC actually processed the file itself. I.E. it decoded the MP3 file into an analogue signal.. where (as I understand it now) it simply converts a digital signal to an analogous one.

So for example MP3 --> PS3 (decodes the format into a digital output, I.E. PCM) --> DAC (which upsamples and converts to an actuall analogue electrical waveform) --> Amplifier for amplification --> Speakers. I was thinking the DAC did the bit where the PS3 is in my example.

I opted for the BX6's over the BX5's as they were much more weighty in the mid-range (always a thing I've appreciated) and the BX5's sounded a little hollow after listening to them. Also had a listen to some Focal's and Dali's but they were a bit too bright for my liking.

Watched Tron Legacy the other night.. to say I was impressed would have been an understatement. I've had to use the port bung's on the 6's though as they were booming in my perticular application (they have ample space from the wall behind).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts