Base isolation platform not recommended

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
System musical fidelity a3.2 amp & cd,proac 125

I have been using a friends base isolation platform, felt that it was firming up the mids and bass without doubt. However I've found that this 200£ plus item is made from mdf, and it seriously recessed my treble to the point where I was going to ditch my system.

I wanted to ask if other members have had problems or good results with this type of product

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
base isolation platform are you using?

I'm using the Auralex Grand Gramma on a suspended wooden floor with my sub (out of respect for my neighbours) Early days as both are still new, so hard to comment with any degree of certainty. The thing is my product is also constructed mainly of covered MDF, I think it goes with the territory... if it does the job I don't really care but mine didn't cost over £200. ;-)

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
The isolation platform is manufactured by a company called base. I checked the RRP online, I could not justify that outlay on my modest system although a friend swears by this on his arcam alpha 8 system which makes less sense.

My results using this was that I lost that sweetness in the treble, it coloured it to the point of previously driving me to insanity and begging for help on this forum

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you feel it doesn't benefit your system, don't use it. But, that doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. This is one of those products you have to try in situ to determine its worth.

I haven't really had any real experience of Base since the mid 90s, but that was generally positive.

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Certainly not, as I've found out with hifi there's no universal solution. Someone else's experience with these products may be more favourable, who knows

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Just for the record I think what you have is an Audiophile Base isolation platform. They generally get very good reviews but obviously you are right to use your own ears and make your own judgement ....

The one that is just over £200 is the 01, which refers to the size, the other sizes are 02, 03 etc . They also make a strata base.... which is over £400 !!

Ray

TRENDING THREADS