Bang & Olufsen?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
idc said:
I do not think it is as simple as like one Bose or B&O, like them all, all of the time.

Absolutely. There are brands - including B&O, and Apple - where I rate some products incredibly highly (and have spent money accordingly) and others I wouldn't touch with the proverbial pole.

I don't understand slavish devotion to any brand - or artist, or actor, or any variable - because no-one will get it right (in your individual opinion) every time :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
I don't understand slavish devotion to any brand - or artist, or actor, or any variable - because no-one will get it right (in your individual opinion) every time :)

The one exception to this sensible rule is in retrospect. It would still be very rare, but when the band breaks up for good or the actor has made their last film, it is then acceptable to say you liked it all :)

A

Anonymous

Hehe, I'm from Denmark, and B&O is danish so you would think I'd love it, but the fact is that 90% of the price for a B&O product is only for their design. Wether you like this design, or not is in the eye of the beholder. Persenaly I think it looks like somethink that just fell down from the moon. If you want good quality in sound, look elsewhere. I see B&O as a "Look how much money I could affort to spend" type of product.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:

Spot on.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
svedel77 said:
Hehe, I'm from Denmark, and B&O is danish so you would think I'd love it, but the fact is that 90% of the price for a B&O product is only for their design. Wether you like this design, or not is in the eye of the beholder. Persenaly I think it looks like somethink that just fell down from the moon. If you want good quality in sound, look elsewhere. I see B&O as a "Look how much money I could affort to spend" type of product.

I think Denmark has three fantastic audio companies, each with something different to offer.

B & O with their unique design and different way of looking at things.

Dynaudio, functional, powerful with money spent on components, not frills. Look at the 2/6, not beautiful, but fantastic full tone.

Dali, forward thinking, also like unusual design, and produce speakers that sound simply stunning with vocals and midrange.

If i lived in Denmark I might like to support homegrown audio. I'd have a B & O kitchen, Dynaudio office and a Dali lounge.

In my dreams

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
svedel77 said:
Hehe, I'm from Denmark, and B&O is danish so you would think I'd love it, but the fact is that 90% of the price for a B&O product is only for their design.

What is "only" about design?

You have stated that it is a "fact" that 90% of the price for B&O equipment is for it's design. Please can you tell us the source of this fact?

svedel77 said:

It's not all about design. B&O manufactures most components itself that went into making their products, unlike most other companies who simply sourced them from others. So the quality of its products is way better than most of the competition. Couple that with industry leading customer service, & suddenly you see the sense of the pricing strategy.

Pioneer made a loss for every Kuro TV it sold & eventually had to stop making them despite being the best in business. If it had followed B&O's philosophy, it would have still survived today. Panasonic's VX300 TV is better than the Kuro, yours for £8000 for the 65 inch version.

idc

I fully accept you can get great sound for less than B&O or to a lesser extent Bose will charge you, but with both products that is not really the point. Bose calling many of their products 'Lifestyle' have been open about that.

If you have a beautiful wife, car, children, house, you would need a beautiful hifi to fit in with your beautiful life. If you are ugly, then at least you can get a B&O and pretend.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
idc said:
I fully accept you can get great sound for less than B&O or to a lesser extent Bose will charge you, but with both products that is not really the point. Bose calling many of their products 'Lifestyle' have been open about that.

If you have a beautiful wife, car, children, house, you would need a beautiful hifi to fit in with your beautiful life. If you are ugly, then at least you can get a B&O and pretend.

I like that :)

Nightmare future sci-fi scenario. Customer beauty judges in all shops. B&O testing that their customers houses were suitably expensive and minimalist and customers met the required 8/10 grade. This would of course discount many footballers such as Phil Neville and Carlos Tevez while Jamie Redknap and David Beckham would pay nothing.

Conversely Bose would need to see proof of previous ASBOs or at least a pair of Reebok classics and a Burberry cap to proceed. Purchase of complete systems would come with a weeks supply of Ice Lightning strong cider (10 cases).*

*this is of course satire only and not intended to cause offence :)

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Nightmare future sci-fi scenario. Customer beauty judges in all shops. B&O testing that their customers houses were suitably expensive and minimalist and customers met the required 8/10 grade. This would of course discount many footballers such as Phil Neville and Carlos Tevez while Jamie Redknap and David Beckham would pay nothing.

Conversely Bose would need to see proof of previous ASBOs or at least a pair of Reebok classics and a Burberry cap to proceed. Purchase of complete systems would come with a weeks supply of Ice Lightning strong cider (10 cases).*

*this is of course satire only and not intended to cause offence :)

None taken. Apple are already doing something similar:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/apple-tells-ugly-people-to-stick-with-pcs-201107284130/

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
We've had B&O phones for years - great signal/sound but give headaches if on a long call.

Have now gone back to retro analogue phones - much cooler and the kids love them; though confusing if watching Mad Men and the phone rings on-screen.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
landzw said:
go back to being full blown ugly

This is an ad for one of my local gyms...

Tired-Of-Being-Fat-And-Ugly.jpg

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
idc said:

I thinks it was Dr Goebbels who said (though probably not in English) "Every time I hear the word 'Culture', I want to reach for my gun!". I feel the same way every time I hear the term "Lifestyle"! Just as well I don't have a gun.

tifosi20002008

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi actually aquired a B&O beogram 5005 turntable. It's one of those linear tracking ones. It looks stunning defying its best part of 30 years old design. It even sounds rather good too. It never fails to raise a smile when people sit gob-smacked watching the stylus gently track from right to left. It might be sonically shown up by the Rega rp1 but it is a real work of art and gives a real pride of ownership. I actually was taken back by the sound I was expecting a crusty weak sound but it is a smooth likeable sound of surprising detail and power.

P.S it looks fantastic sat on top the hifi rack. :)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
tifosi20002008 said:
Hi actually aquired a B&O beogram 5005 turntable. It's one of those linear tracking ones. It looks stunning defying its best part of 30 years old design. It even sounds rather good too. It never fails to raise a smile when people sit gob-smacked watching the stylus gently track from right to left. It might be sonically shown up by the Rega rp1 but it is a real work of art and gives a real pride of ownership. I actually was taken back by the sound I was expecting a crusty weak sound but it is a smooth likeable sound of surprising detail and power.

P.S it looks fantastic sat on top the hifi rack. :)

Stop using that at once. Wrap it up and get in touch with the Science museum or similar because in my experience they didn't work for very long. That's why I have a Technics; but I must agree the B&O does look infinately better. However I use a deck for sound purposes not visuals.

TRENDING THREADS