Bang & Olufsen?

Some friends of the family recently purchased Beolab 6000 + multi-media system. It sounded really good, but when they revealed the price I almost fell off the chair. It was over 4 times the price of my system, yet it didn't sound 4 times better than mine.

Just wondered whether anyone had any experience of B&O and your thoughts. Maybe I'm missing a trick here, because to my ear it lacked the substance you would expect from nearly a 4 grand system.

A

Anonymous

B&O stopped being leader in R&D long time ago, if they ever were... They sell based on design/style, not functionality.

Just like NAD.
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
A tad harsh for a company that still engineers most of its products back at HQ, plus offers exceptional customer service (from pre-purchase onwards).

For example, we recently 'inherited' some ancient B&O kit a relative no longer wanted, and not only could it be restored (for not great cost) to full working order by B&O, but it was supplied back in brand-new boxes, complete with manuals. Which made the eBay sell a lot easier
emotion-5.gif
(And all of this was achieved by him-indoors as a normal punter, not via any of my WHF connections).

No doubt you're paying a (sometimes gobsmackingly high) premium for B&O kit, but that's the luxury goods market for you. If you've got the money and like the look (and realise what else your cash could land you)....

Clare Newsome:

A tad harsh for a company that still engineers most of its products back at HQ, plus offers exceptional customer service (from pre-purchase onwards).

We recently 'inherited' some ancient B&O kit a relative no longer wanted, and not only could it be restored (for not great cost) to full working order by B&O, but it was supplied back in brand-new boxes, complete with manuals. Which made the eBay sell a lot easier
emotion-5.gif
(And all of this was achieved by him-indoors as a normal punter, not via any of my WHF connections).

No doubt you're paying a (sometimes gobsmackingly high) premium for B&O kit, but that's the luxury goods market for you. If you've got the money and like the look (and realise what else your cash could land you)....

I understand that there are those that buy for looks only - I would never hold that against them, but surely, especially in these times, a company, however well established, needs to justify substance as opposed to outright looks.

Maybe I'm too set in my ways.
emotion-10.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have heard a £40,000 (2006 money) B&O home theatre system in a B&O demo studio where just the front speakers alone cost £11,000 and it sounded/looked absolutely amazing.

Just because some thing 4 times more expensive does not sound 4 times as good, proves nothing except the law of diminishing returns.

There are Naim systems costing at least as much that look pug ugly in comparison to B&O and you will still get audiences divided over whether they think it sounds good or whether it is a massive waste of money sitting behind a re-assuring badge.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
I understand that there are those that buy for looks only - I would never hold that against them, but surely, especially in these times, a company, however well established, needs to justify substance as opposed to outright looks.

emotion-10.gif

I hear what you're saying - and it's a reason many B&O products lose out in our performance-per-pound ratings - but i'd argue that the customer service angle adds to the appeal, too. And some people may put a value on that - especially the people with the money to consider B&O in the first place...

It's like travelling business or upper class on a plane - costs a lot more for the same end result, but made a lot more pleasant on the way (apparantly!)

chebby:

I have heard a £40,000 (2006 money) B&O home theatre system in a B&O demo studio where just the front speakers alone cost £11,000 and it sounded/looked absolutely amazing.

Just because some thing 4 times more expensive does not sound 4 times as good, proves nothing except the law of diminishing returns.

There are Naim systems costing at least as much that look pug ugly in comparison to B&O and you will still get audiences divided over whether they think it sounds good or whether it is a massive waste of money sitting behind a re-assuring badge.

Gulp! At 40 grand you'd be a sick as parrot if it didn't sound amazing. . . .I'm going for a rub-down with a soggy tea bag.

Clare Newsome:plastic penguin:

emotion-10.gif

I hear what you're saying - and it's a reason many B&O products lose out in our performance-per-pound ratings - but i'd argue that the customer service angle adds to the appeal, too. And some people may put a value on that - especially the people with the money to consider B&O in the first place.
emotion-2.gif

It's like travelling business or upper class on a plane - costs a lot more for the same end result, but made a lot more pleasant on the way (apparantly!)

Or more like flying upper class with Imperial Airways. . .
emotion-5.gif

idc

It was a Bang & Olufsen Beocentre 2200 that got me first into hifi. I was about 12-13 and I had got my first cassettes and an album from the library when visiting a relative. I remember how clear the music sounded on the Beocenter compared to the Sony at home. There was more detail, I could follow each instrument, even at very low volume.............

images

So many posts asking for recommendations for kit give a list of alternatives and then end with, but I like the look of the so and so or I fancy that one. So a product or look has caught the imagination before sound comes into it. Style and convenience is as important as sound to many and B&O cater for that market. My experience of B&O is that if I had the money it would be auditioned, starting with the Beosound 5...............

images

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

I am not saying they don't make good quality systems. I studied their business case in school - they changed their strategy to be design leader and no longer a technological leader. They still put great technology into their systems, its just at the same price you can get better elsewhere in terms of technology and sound. They want their products to be "adequate" technologically and sonically for a hi-fi consumer but stunning in terms of looks and integration with high-end furniture - that's their marketing strategy.

A

Anonymous

I have to agree with Clare!

I purchased an old early 80's Beogram RX turntable off ebay for under $75 CAD about 9 years ago, and it worked wonderfully in my system for a number of years. I put it away in storage for two years and when I hooked it up again it no longer worked.

I took it in to B&O expecting them to treat me as if I had no business belonging in their store. I also expected they wouldn't be able to help me, or if they could, it would be at a great cost.

MUCH to my suprised they fawned over my old turntable, treated me like I could afford anything in the store and offered to have a technician look at it for labour costs alone (not much). It did take a few weeks for them to get back to me, but they told me the repairs could be done for about $200, inclusive of labour, parts, and tax. I found that quite reasonable and took them up on the offer.

Not only did they repair the turntable, they resoldered all the connections inside, gave it a thorough cleaning & oiling, and replaced the old RCA leads with a new pair! They also recalibrated the tonearm & counterweight. It sounds amazing now, even better than when I had received it originally!

I'm not even a real B&O customer and they provided me with some of the best customer service I've ever had!

mike

idc

plastic penguin:

Gulp! At 40 grand you'd be a sick as parrot if it didn't sound amazing. . . .I'm going for a rub-down with a soggy tea bag.

What sort of tea do you use and do you get a better sensation from round or square bags?

idc:plastic penguin:

What sort of tea do you use and do you get a better sensation from round or square bags?

One's that are familiar with birds. . .

idc

plastic penguin:idc:plastic penguin:

The Bang & Olufsen of teabags................................only £7500! It is the taste of real diamonds.

idc:plastic penguin:idc:plastic penguin:

The Bang & Olufsen of teabags................................only £7500! It is the taste of real diamonds.

Nah, cheap.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
chainrock:

B&O stopped being leader in R&D long time ago, if they ever were... They sell based on design/style, not functionality.

Just like NAD.
emotion-5.gif

Haha hehe hoho!

Yeah, them NAD owners and their des res thingys. Theyre all about the fashion!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chainrock:B&O stopped being leader in R&D long time ago, if they ever were...

I think most companies would give a lot to have the kind of R&D facilities B&O has at its headquarters in Struer, and I know of very few manufacturers who actually make as much of the products they produce, right down to component level, rather than buying components in from third-party suppliers.

Why does B&O do all this, from metal extrusion, anodising and machining to even building its own disc drives rather than buying them in? Simple - it's all about the quality of the products - and it also explains why the company makes everything from brake calipers for Brembo to aluminium kick-panels for BMW to switchgear for Audi, and a whole load of medical equipment as well as the stuff we usually associate with the brand.

manicm

Yeah, not sure if I can digest their prices but before anyone knocks them for being 'style over substance' just note that Pioneer's 5-starrer SC-LX81(?) AV amp actually uses B&O amplification modules!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts