Bang & Olufsen tvs - 24fps?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone know about Bang & Olufsen tvs and whether they will accept 24fps? In particular I was wondering about the Beovision 4, 7, 8 and 9 models, and the Beocentre 6 as well - all of them basically. I am researching this for a friend who wants a multiroom setup and is thinking about B&O as a possible option. I have told him about other options he has ie. Pioneer (for ultimate picture performance), Loewe (for B&Oesque style and great performance plus better flexibility), etc.

If anyone knows about B&O's tvs and their compatibility with 24fps then any info would be great. Thansk

A

Anonymous

Thanks ElectroMan. I have emailed B&O customer service and am waiting for a reply. Apparently their customer service is pretty good. I agree that their website isn't particularly helpful.

I think they try and appeal to people who (apart from having lots of money) are not that tech-literate and don't know much about the complicated world of audio-visual technology. So, they are unlikely to write something like "1080/24p" on their website as it might confuse their target customers. The problem with not detailing the specification of their tvs is that, while the simplicity appeals to some people, there are plenty of consumers who actually do know their stuff and who will not buy something unless they know it will be fully suitable for their needs and be relatively futureproofed. For example people like us who won't buy a tv that doesn't playback 24fps content.

Another thing about B&O is that, while they claim to be 'state of the art' they also admit that they aren't the quickest to adopt new technology when it first comes out, and they're not... by a long shot! Other av brands like Onkyo and NAD were slow to bring out Blu-ray players, and even Arcam finally have a player on the way, but B&O are taking the biscuit! They seem to be pretending that Blu-ray doesn't exist! B&O explain that they don't just like to jump on every new bandwagon that comes along, and would rather wait until they can perfect their own version of a new technology before releasing it. That's fair enough, but they still need to make sure that their products are futureproofed so that when they do bring out, for example, a Blu-ray player, the existing B&O tvs will be fully compatible, and the viewer will not have to put up with nausia and migrane inducing judder. After all B&O is supposed to be a cut above the rest. Of course I'm assuming the worst, which is that B&O's current tvs aren't compatible with 24fps material. I might be wrong... So we'll await the outcome of my email to B&O customer services...

A

Anonymous

Probably like most people into serious hifi or home cinema I'm of the opinion that B&O is just a phillips (or whatever) in a pretty box for people with money to squander. But hey good luck to them. I'd ask why they don't just make a £8000 pretty box that you could slot a whole vierra into but I guess that'd give the game away.
emotion-2.gif

As for blu ray they've probably got products lined up to release, and were just waiting to see which HD format would be the sucess story, probably like a lot of small volume manufacturers. Mind, for the kinda money they charge a combi player would surely not have been unreasonable? Somethig they could have sold as future proof? I've got one in my PC so the tech's hardly groundbreaking.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
unconditional:Probably like most people into serious hifi or home cinema I'm of the opinion that B&O is just a phillips (or whatever) in a pretty box for people with money to squander. But hey good luck to them. I'd ask why they don't just make a £8000 pretty box that you could slot a whole vierra into but I guess that'd give the game away.
emotion-2.gif

No games to give away.

B&O has always been open about the fact that it uses Panasonic's display panels for its plasmas, and Samsung's (IIRC) for its LCDs. But beyond that the whole product is ground-up engineered. For example, I don't know of any other manufacturer using an automatic calibration system to compensate for changes in the panel over time, and all the picture processing is in-house, as is the casework, audio engineering, remote interface and so on.

People who say things like

unconditional:B&O is just a phillips (or whatever) in a pretty box for people with money to squander

have clearly never seen how the company designs, engineers, makes and tests its products, nor experience the kind of customer service able to take a 20 year old product and bring it back to as-new performance.

This blog post from last Autumn may give you more of an insight...

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
To back up what Andrew says, an elderly relative of mine has an old B&O CRT TV from the late 1960s which recently conked out. She went out and bought a new Panasonic Viera flatscreen (I have to admit on my recommendation), but then discovered that B&O would repair her old telly - which they did.

It now works perfectly again and she continues to watch the old B&O in the sitting room because she prefers the picture. Meanwhile, the shiny new Viera sits gathering dust in the spare room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts