banana plug into amp wont go

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
There were multiple lines of communication from the bridge to the engine room, and everyone wanted a go...

historycenter.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hi all, thanks for all the many bits of advise, am trying not to be confused but its not easy,

the'bung' confuses me.I've got plastic screw caps on the amp speaker terminals(are they bungs?)-those i cant unscrew off/prise out-tried a few times. the little metal bit inside the plastic terminals that the speaker cable/banana threads thru is smaller than the banana plug. I've tried levering out the metal bit inside the plastic screw but to no avail-especially as i cant get the screw cap off-is it the plastic screw cap Im suppossed to plier off/pull off? i thought banana plugs were meant to be easy-anything but i reckon.

thanks again

A

Anonymous

This picture shows binding posts without bungs

bindingwithout.jpg

This shows them with. Yours may be both red and black. They might not have a hole in the middle like theses ones either.

Hope this helps.

bindingwith.jpg

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Pedej0e: the'bung' confuses me.I've got plastic screw caps on the amp speaker terminals(are they bungs?)

Typical speaker binding posts with bungs (or safety caps) removed are shown in this picture next to mains cable socket.

nad_c326_rear_1200.jpg

I can't find any pics of an amp with safety caps still in the binding posts to demonstrate before and after appearances, but hope this image helps clarify that they do come out! The ones in your amp may be very firmly embedded in the holes so all I can add further to this is persevere, but be careful!

Hope you get it sorted without too much more distress and frustration.

EDIT: Oh, too slow uploading that pic, been beaten to it!
emotion-10.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No, this is the rear:

4639407711_a180f1bfe1.jpg

Jo or whatever your name is, this is what the speaker terminals look like without the bungs in, see the holes in the middle of the terminals, THAT'S where you put the banana plugs. Your terminals probably have red and black plastic centres to them right? That's what you need to remove.

A

Anonymous

re nad c370 amp. i think i understand the bung in the terminal-its like a cap at the top of the terminal-i will try prise that off and hope its priseable off-hope i do have a bung or these new expensive speaker cables will be a waste. thanks again to all for the usefuol help, espec the pics. cheers. pedro

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
They are the connecters that go INSIDE the terminal (i.e. the whole plastic sleeve with the copper plug inside)

These are usually found on Cyrus and Arcam seperates
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

sorry to go off topic ..

dan , how long did it take to burn in your rx6s ?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:
sorry to go off topic ..

Well I've had them close to 5 weeks and they're still not there and there's on almost every day (and a bit louder when I'm out of the house
emotion-5.gif
)

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:maxflinn:
sorry to go off topic ..

Well I've had them close to 5 weeks and they're still not there and there's on almost every day (and a bit louder when I'm out of the house
emotion-5.gif
)yea my br5s were starting to really open up when i exchanged them , had them around 5 weeks too , they sounded smoother the longer i had them .. chuffed to bits with the rx6s so far though , chord carnival silverscreen and jumpers are my next additions , then (whispers hoping no one takes notice) im on the hunt for a more powerful nad/roksan/exposure/rega/arcam/cyrus amp
emotion-10.gif
emotion-5.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Keep your nad and see if you can get a 2nd hand NAD C272 power amp via eBay and the likes
emotion-5.gif

If not you'll see a difference with the NAD C355BEE and if you sold your C326BEE it wouldnt cost you that much more!

If you're find with 2nd hand though I can highly recommend the Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp. Superb soundstage and bags of power; would compete and IMO better the likes of the Roksan Kandy LIII integrated etc...

As for the likes of Cyrus and Rega; great amps but a completely different soundstage to what youre used to and IMO wont do as well with your M/A RX6's as NAD, Arcam or Rotel would!

A

Anonymous

thanks dan , great advice as always
emotion-21.gif
, i will keep my 326 for a while , to at least give it a chance to shine once the rx6s are well run in , but to be honest , i am planning an upgrade , i want to give them rx6s a worthy partner , the c355 would be a cheap solution for me as you say , or the nad power amp , or whatever suits best really ,but this time ill demo , take my time , and go for what sounds best , ill start a new thread in 5 or 6 weeks if i feel my little nad isnt doing enough , for now , im happy
emotion-5.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Give it 2-3 months Max; 5-6 weeks is no where near enough IMO!

Also, IMO, a power amp is a better solution to go down if you feel that your integrated isnt sufficient rather than going all out and getting another integrated amp
emotion-1.gif

It keeps you with the same soundstage but with more power on tap plus more controlled, tighter and punchier bass

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Give it 2-3 months Max; 5-6 weeks is no where near enough IMO!

Also, IMO, a power amp is a better solution to go down if you feel that your integrated isnt sufficient rather than going all out and getting another integrated amp
emotion-1.gif

It keeps you with the same soundstage but with more power on tap plus more controlled, tighter and punchier bassi hear ya , i guess its all too easy to think more expensive products will be instantly better , i suppose given what ive got , any improvements will be marginal anyway , i will defo hold tight for a good while , even if i get the money to upgrade , ill give myself some time , and just enjoy what ive got , im really enjoying my music at the moment , and at the end of the day , thats the whole idea
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Who's a good boy
emotion-5.gif
emotion-4.gif

i think im finally learning
emotion-3.gif
emotion-21.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Haha...

It all takes time Max...

I've been into hifi since I was 15 and I'm 30 now and still havent got the hang of it if I'm honest

This system is the 1st system I've ever bought thats all been brand new! It was a treat but I think I know that if I ever do it again it'sll be 2nd hand as there is a world of choice out there BUT in saying that; sometimes you just cant beat a demo!

A

Anonymous

ive loved music for as long as i can remember , im 41 now , and apart from the odd ghettoblaster , this is my first system , i think ive started pretty close to the top really , (lotto winners aside) my next upgrade should really be the motivation to get fit , music gives me that energy , not regas or roksans
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

gosh, when i said I was a novice i was understating things. now all connected thanks to excessive patience on part of all your support.

i listened ( requires no expertise) to rx6 and rx8 and silver 8i. i thought the 8i better/more musical than the rx6 and just teensey bit less good than rx8-i didnt think there was much between them-the rx8 were certainley more controlled/contained and less open than 8i. for £350 the 8i is brill value. i was surprised that my B&W dm602 s3 had a better soundstage and better/more open and real vocals than all of them-but i can never get rid of there brightness. i like the bass on the 8i much more than my b&w-which i think I'll keep.

sorry it took me so long to figure things out. next stop sub-where i could power my old b&w speakers or power/pre-amp. thanks again

kit - marantz cd 67mk11 SE, Monitor audio silver 8i, b&w dm 602 s3, nad c370, wireworld oasis 5, fujitsu 42in plasma.

reading all these postings back reminds me of trying to explain something technical to the missus and all the repeating and eyes glazing over - i have become a missus.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Dont worry about it, every day is a school day, you'll be able to help someone else out now thats the way it works.

We are all novices really just with varying degrees of experience :)

Enjoy

TRENDING THREADS