Question Balanced XLR cable for Headphones - Benefits?

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Hi all...

I'm using the Klipsch HP-3 Heritage headphones through an IFI iDSD Signature dac/amp.

I'm wondering if there's any (audible) benefits to be obtained in purchasing a balanced (XLR) cable?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Rob :unsure:

I would agree, if I had the facility I would use it even though it's probably only beneficial in long cable runs, however I don't think I would spend a fortune non the cable itself
See:-

Last edited:

Gray

IFI iDSD Signature dac/amp.
Your amp features ifi's 'S-balanced' arrangement - which they modestly say, could only have been invented by a genius 🙂

It actually does look like more than a gimmick - designed to bring benefits to your unbalanced output - and as such may well narrow the difference between balanced and unbalanced (when compared to other amps).
But you would be the judge of that.

I may be wrong, but it looks like your headphones use the mini XLR plugs.
If you can use a soldering iron, it's worth noting that high quality Pentaconn and mini XLR connectors are relatively inexpensive (at least now - when I first searched for a Pentaconn plug, the cheapest was £116....I got it for around £6 eventually).
You'd just need some thin, durable cable.

Main point is that, no matter how much any ready- made cable costs, it cannot possibly sound any better than one you could make yourself for £25, maybe less.
Though looking at the cost of your h/p and amp, I doubt money saving is your top priority 😉

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Thanks people...! I'll save up for having an XLR cable made up. The headphones use 1/8 inch connectors at both ends (one for each channel) so it's a "special" in any case. The cost is going to be around BPS 200 so it'll be a while....

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hi all...

I'm using the Klipsch HP-3 Heritage headphones through an IFI iDSD Signature dac/amp.

I'm wondering if there's any (audible) benefits to be obtained in purchasing a balanced (XLR) cable?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Rob :unsure:

In your case no. Some headphone amplifiers have balanced power circuitry which can double the output power over single ended which can help significantly with hard to drive headphones. For that to work you also need a balanced DAC. In this cases your IFI Signature offers "Balanced" connectivity without being "truly balanced" as it offers the same power and same circuitry as single ended connectivity. Balanced DAC and AMPS in some cases can cost signfificantly more than their single ended counterparts.

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I bought a balanced cable for my Klipsch HP-3 headphones from a mob in China (@AUD 50) which appear to be quite good. The wires are silver plated OFC copper and came with reasonable gold plated connectors.
Using my iFi iDSD signature head amp/DAC, the sound is marginally better with a slight improvement at the high end.
Whether it's really worth going to a balanced cable for headphones is still an open question though... I certainly wouldn't be spending 4 or 5 hundred dollars for one though - no matter how good the wires and connectors...

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

Using a balanced XLR cable for headphones offers several benefits compared to unbalanced connections. Here are the key advantages:

1. Noise Rejection: Balanced cables are designed to reject external noise and interference. By utilizing two signal wires (positive and negative) along with a ground wire, balanced connections effectively cancel out common-mode noise that can affect audio quality. This is particularly useful in environments with high electromagnetic interference or when using long cable runs.
  2. Improved Signal Quality: Balanced connections provide better signal integrity by minimizing signal degradation over longer distances. The use of two signal wires allows for a stronger and more consistent signal transmission, resulting in improved audio fidelity and clarity.
  3. Longer Cable Runs: Balanced XLR cables are commonly used in professional audio settings where long cable runs are necessary, such as in recording studios or live sound setups. Unlike unbalanced cables, balanced connections can maintain audio quality over extended distances without significant loss or interference.
  4. Increased Power Delivery: Some high-end headphones or audio equipment require more power to operate optimally. Balanced connections often provide a higher voltage swing, allowing for greater power delivery compared to unbalanced connections. This can result in improved dynamics, better bass response, and overall enhanced performance from compatible headphones.
  5. Compatibility and Flexibility: While balanced XLR connections are commonly associated with professional audio gear, there are also headphones and headphone amplifiers available that support balanced operation. Using balanced cables allows you to take advantage of the enhanced performance and noise rejection capabilities offered by balanced connections, provided that your headphones and audio equipment support this feature.
It's important to note that in order to fully benefit from a balanced XLR cable, all components in the audio chain, including the headphones, headphone amplifier, and audio source, need to be balanced-compatible. Additionally, not all headphones or consumer audio equipment support balanced connections, so it's crucial to check the specifications and compatibility of your specific gear before investing in a balanced setup.

Overall, using a balanced XLR cable for headphones can offer improved audio quality, noise rejection, and flexibility in professional audio settings or for those seeking the highest level of performance from their headphones and audio equipment.
Points 1 to 3 above are important for long runs of (lower level) signal cable.

But this thread is questioning the benefit of 'balanced' cable for headphones
(XLR connectors are used yes, but so are Pentaconn).

Reactions: WayneKerr

Vincent Kars

Noise Rejection: Balanced cables are designed to reject external noise and interference. By utilizing two signal wires (positive and negative) along with a ground wire, balanced connections effectively cancel out common-mode noise that can affect audio quality. This is particularly useful in environments with high electromagnetic interference or when using long cable runs.
It looks like you are one of the many who don't understand what "balanced" mean in the headphone world at all.
A conventional balanced connection e.g. connecting a DAC to a active speaker is a 3 wire per channel.
This allows for a hot and cold that are compared at the receiver using a differential amp. This indeed removes common noise.
If you look closely at a "balanced" headphone cable, you will see that is is 2x 2 wires. Indeed 2 times single ended. Of course there is no differential amp inside your headphone. It is just a driver and changing your wiring from TRS to TRRS won't by magic add a differential amp.

"Balanced" in the headphone world means the ability to connect to a headphone amp with floating "ground" hence L+/L- and R+/R-. Not to be mistaken for a balanced connection. It is simply 2x single ended.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts