Replacing my headphones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I've still got the 590 model that I've owned for over 30 years.
Someone said they used the same drivers as the (original) 600.
I'm not sure about that, but they don't sound bad.

The earpads are the softest I've known on any make / model. Together with my DIY headband padding and featherweight clamp force - can't imagine a more comfortable headphone.
If I could combine their comfort with the (more neutral) sound of the 560S, I'd have my perfect headphone:
View attachment 4178

Gray,

You got an enormous value their 30 years is truly amazing for headphones. Which is why I went back to Sennheiser as parts are so widely available. As comfortable as the stock pads are, I'm intrigued to try the Dekoni pads at some point for a small experiment. ⬇️

Also the HD650 headband is extremely comfortable. I thought it was a good choice for the latest HD600 - Gray if you wanted to test it for your 590 or 560s the replacement headband is on Amazon. You're 560s is highly regarded by the YouTube community. I have been reading and watching all the reviews for the past month. Another headphone of outstanding value by Sennheiser. 👏

Attachments

• IMG_20221219_071826.jpg
    IMG_20221219_071826.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The Sundara is well regarded headphone under £500. If you like a neutral presentation you will like the Sundara. From a performance perspective, it should be as good as anything within its price range. I think there were some issues around quality control. I heard that breathability is not good and that the ears get a bit hot, especially during the summer months. Just two things to bear in mind.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
How do you choose something like that? Do you just take a punt and hope, or are they returnable?

Once I purchased the Sennheiser HD 600 for my iFi Zen dac. I thought the balanced connection on the iFi would be better for driving the Sennheiser headphones. I therefore needed a 4.4mm balance connection and the two pin connector cables for my Sennheiser headphones. People online that offer customised cables provide the different connection option just like FutureShop would do for speaker cable terminations and amplifiers. I selected the colour code for my balance cable, so unless the cable is defective, I don't think I can return these cables. You can send them a message directly in case you're not sure. Just explain what headphones and DAC you have. I hope this is helpful.

Reactions: nopiano
Once I purchased the Sennheiser HD 600 for my iFi Zen dac. I thought the balanced connection on the iFi would be better for driving the Sennheiser headphones. I therefore needed a 4.4mm balance connection and the two pin connector cables for my Sennheiser headphones. People online that offer customised cables provide the different connection option just like FutureShop would do for speaker cable terminations and amplifiers. I selected the colour code for my balance cable, so unless the cable is defective, I don't think I can return these cables. You can send them a message directly in case you're not sure. Just explain what headphones and DAC you have. I hope this is helpful.
Thanks. It's slightly idle curiously at the moment as I'm still acclimatising to my Oppo PM3 (new old models) that I picked up recently. Intrigued that the cable might make a significant difference.

Gray

Intrigued that the cable might make a significant difference.
I think that will depend on your views on / ability to hear differences, between speaker cables.

I've got very little doubt that Stuart will hear a significant difference - but personally I'd say that will have nothing to do with the cable as such, but everything to do with the fact that he can now take advantage of the balanced output from his Zen.

In addition to the supplied 3 metre, I bought two 1.2 metre aftermarket cables for my Sennheisers- balanced and unbalanced.
All the usual claims were made about special materials / construction leading to enhanced performance. I didn't believe a word of it.
I bought the cables because they had the required proprietary locking headphone-end connectors pre-fitted (which I couldn't buy separately to make my own leads).

They both have the same, fancy-looking cables, but the balanced one sounds better, because it uses the balanced output from a (Topping A50S) headphone amp - and for no other reason.

Unless I'm mistaken, your Oppos have a 4-pole connector at the headphone end - meaning they can be used balanced, with the appropriate cable.
If / when you can give them a balanced output I'd recommend trying a balanced cable.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I've got very little doubt that Stuart will hear a significant difference - but personally I'd say that will have nothing to do with the cable as such, but everything to do with the fact that he can now take advantage of the balanced output from his Zen.

Yes, Gray is right to say that I can now take advantage of the balanced output of my Zen, which means I have more headroom for my dial. The other benefit of switching the cable was that the stock cable is too long for my desktop. By going custom-made, I could pick the length that I wanted. As Gray mentioned, you can access the balance output on your Oppo if your headphones have a higher sensitivity rating. I think this is a valid test, especially if your headphones scale really well.

Reactions: nopiano and Gray

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Just wondered if you contacted B&O customer service for them. They've been very responsive and excellent when I contacted them for an issue with my H95 headphones.

Actually, I thought it was the cheapest route for me so I contacted Bang And Olufsen in October of this year. Unfortunately, the best B&O was able to give me was 20% off a future product. As the earpad is no longer produced. They modified the ear-cups design on the latest models so I believe. This is the primary reason why I returned to Sennheiser as the parts are so widely available. I gave the B&O feedback so I hope they don't alter the design in future models. It must be the way my H6 screw on compared to your H95 headphones I guess? Enjoy your Bang And Olufsen, they're a great design, lightweight, with a nice tuning.

Unless I'm mistaken, your Oppos have a 4-pole connector at the headphone end - meaning they can be used balanced, with the appropriate cable.
If / when you can give them a balanced output I'd recommend trying a balanced cable.
Thanks, I’d not appreciated that. It’s a 3.5mm plug at the earpiece but with more poles/segments that I’m familar with. The instructions are silent on this and I’d assumed the extra pole was for volume or microphone functionality with, say, an iPhone as the source.

They are by some margin the best phones I ever owned, though I’ve heard some pretty decent Stax and suchlike over the years. They are fairly easy to drive as they’re absolutely fine directly off an iPad. They were designed as portable.

Do you remember the Jecklin Float, an electrostatic with a huge u-shaped band to hold the drivers. A pal had those and they were wonderful until the foam crumbled away, much as my headband and ear cushions seem likely to!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Friesiansam

Do you remember the Jecklin Float, an electrostatic with a huge u-shaped band to hold the drivers.
I do indeed remember those - and I would love to see a trendy modern dude walking down the street wearing some, while keeping a straight face 😆
You think you've seen all kinds of headphones, and then...
888jecklin.promo_.jpg

Can't see them fitting my gurt big bonce!

You think you've seen all kinds of headphones, and then...

Can't see them fitting my gurt big bonce!
What you can’t quite see in that pic is the circular cutout in the top. The foam allowed the ‘frame’ to sit on the top of your head and not feel too awkward. And be less inclined to slip off too, I suppose.

I remember them being even wider! They’d fit a big bonce, I’m sure.

SteveR750

I'm pretty tempted by the Hifiman Sundara. I've noticed these have been coming down in price. Do any of you headphone buffs own these?
FWIW as this is way too late, but I had a few pairs of sub £500k phones last summer for a big comparison test. Hd560 HD650 Hemp SR325x and sundara. Without EQ the Sundara and the 560 are the most neutral (ASR measurement confirmed this too later) with EQ I preferred the Sundara over all of them. Comfortable to wear too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts