balanced and unbalanced ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In conventional connections, one of the two conductors forms the outer shield of the cable. In a balanced connection, each conductor is just a conductor, and the outer shield is entirely separate. In addition, the two channels are sent 180 degrees out of phase with each other, so any hum picked up on one conductor is picked up in reverse phase on the other. In the receiving equipment, the in-phase and out-of-phase noise cancel each other out, due to what's called 'common-mode rejection'.

Balanced tends to give better rejection of interference, which is why it's so widely used in professional applications such as recording studios and live stage-work. In the hi-fi arena, balanced connections between components are generally preferable where the equipment at either end supports them.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Nice answer Mr. E.
My old Krell 300i sounded louder but without any improvement to the sound quality but when I upgraded to 400Xi the sound become much more open when compare balanced output to RCA.

A

Anonymous

ko thanks boys i asked cose the advance acustic range that i was intrested in has balanced and unbalanced so i was tinking about it you know going the balanced way how much difference will there be ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Probably 7%, certainly no more than 9%. Seriously, none of us has heard any of this equipment yet, so it's impossible to tell - suggest you try both balanced and conventional connections when you audition.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="sex"]will do so mate ta very much[/quote]

I almost can hear a cockney accent from you my Italian friend
emotion-11.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts