Bah...

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Well I got my iPad 2 yesterday, noticed it has some backlight bleed and a dead pixel, will be returning it tomorrow! :D

I'm not 100% impressed so far (quality issues aside), some things seem good on it while others seem poor, iPad specific apps are very nice while things like Facebook are disappointing - surely it's been long enough to make an iPad app for that? I can use Sky Player on the PC but not on the pad. DVD quality films I've put on it don't look that great so will have to put some 720p ones on, though that will eat space. Speaker is in a stupid place.

50/50 for me at the moment really, it's a lot of money (64gb non-3G model) for something that seems to be little more than a bigger version of my iPhone 4 with a slightly worse screen, yet I can see it has some potential if the apps keep improving - I also haven't had enough time with it to really see what useful apps are about... That said I expect the next higher res version may render this one a little redundant developement-wise also. Hmm.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Oh, and the cameras are laughably bad - I'd rather not have any than these. It's also annoying knowing full-well that Apple have only put the lowest quality possible ones in because it's another easy upgrade for the next model. I don't believe that "It's all you need for Facetime" line. I understand it's not going to replace your SLR but this is phone tech from 10 years ago!

*(For some reason the new system wouldn't let me edit the first post to put that in ;))

Paul.

The Facebook apps have always been laughably bad on iOS, iPad has never had a specific version. I use the web page just fine rather than the iPhone app. If you go to bookmarks, you can create a home screen icon as a shortcut to the Facebook web page.

Rumor has it, the reason it's taking them so long is they are trying to create their own Eco system of an AppStore within the Facebook app. Can't see them being allowed to get away with that...

I had a a weird little cluster of slightly brighter pixels on my iPad first gen, I was In no hurry to return it as the patch only showed up on grey screens. One day I had a bizzare urge to return it, so wandered over to the Apple store on my lunch break. Turns of it was the last day of my years warranty, how lucky is that! They replaced it on the spot for me.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
It sounds like you've spent £560 (or so) on something that you hadn't tested or played with in a shop or even read any indepth reviews?

Any apps that aren't either universal or ipad only will look very pixelated on the screen. I'm not really sure you can blame the ipad for that though.

I'm surprised you thought the DVD quality versions of films dont look good on it, I think they look great...perhaps I need my eyes testing.

I agree the camera is pathetic at photos, but the 720p video I've taken of my daughters seems quite good to me (again, perhaps my eyes aren't up to scratch), although it does need to be in light room. I viewed these as a "small" bonus - its a bit unwieldy to use as a proper camera - as I didn't own a HD camcorder.

As for the next one being better, well there's always a better one around the corner, perhaps you should wait, and then wait again, and then again?!

In my opinion its a great device - I didnt have a laptop before and its freed me up to consume multimedia and the internet from my desk - worth every penny - that's my two pennies worth.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
It sounds like you've spent £560 (or so) on something that you hadn't tested or played with in a shop or even read any indepth reviews?

Any apps that aren't either universal or ipad only will look very pixelated on the screen. I'm not really sure you can blame the ipad for that though.

I'm surprised you thought the DVD quality versions of films dont look good on it, I think they look great...perhaps I need my eyes testing.

I agree the camera is pathetic at photos, but the 720p video I've taken of my daughters seems quite good to me (again, perhaps my eyes aren't up to scratch), although it does need to be in light room. I viewed these as a "small" bonus - its a bit unwieldy to use as a proper camera - as I didn't own a HD camcorder.

As for the next one being better, well there's always a better one around the corner, perhaps you should wait, and then wait again, and then again?!

In my opinion its a great device - I didnt have a laptop before and its freed me up to consume multimedia and the internet from my desk - worth every penny - that's my two pennies worth.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, as much as I can almost forgive Apple for making an expensive glorified netbook with limited functionality - the usual lack of input/outputs, requiring adapters, lack of flash (yet it's still an issue on many sites), ties to iTunes etc. I'm not prepared to accept sub-standard quality at the £500+ premium. I like Apple products but that's based on their quality being top notch and you pay for it, no-one should accept anything less.

The saving grace is that when it works well it works very well - the Autotrader app is far better than the website, as is the IMDB one, this is what gives me hope - if developers are prepared to make the apps properly they can be very nice indeed. The downside being if developers don't put the effort in you're left with a pretty, portable hard drive and web browser (for non-flash sites at least ;)). I'm wondering whether to just try for a refund and get the next gen though - as it is the iPad screen is lowish-res compared to the iPhone and competition, the next will undoubtedly improve on that but where will that leave the apps? iPhone apps look a little ridiculous on the iPad but if they make higher res ones for an iPad 3 will the downscaling work well, if at all? It just seems like it's too much of an in-between product in ways, a little better than the first but awaiting some real boost in the mkIII...

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Chisy1 said:

I do agree with much of what you say - I did try it out in the shop and can see the benefits of it, though the ones on display have little in the way of useful apps to play with. That's what it comes down to really - on it's own it's not going to do anything amazing, with good apps it can become a very useful machine. I don't think I've had enough time with it to really go through everything and start finding apps that I can make use of on a daily basis. My concern is future support for the lower res screen if a new one comes out - not sure how that will work with "next gen" apps and if developers will include scaled versions.

My problem with DVD picture could well be the software I've used to convert existing films to MP4 movies, I'll investigate further when I've got the time! :)

A

Anonymous

AEJim said:
...while things like Facebook are disappointing - surely it's been long enough to make an iPad app for that?

The MyPad app is pretty good - http://itunes.apple.com/uk/app/mypad-for-facebook/id412133981?mt=8

I completely agree with the camera comments though, there is pretty much no point in them at all.

Paul.

AEJim said:
I'm not prepared to accept sub-standard quality at the £500+ premium. I like Apple products but that's based on their quality being top notch and you pay for it, no-one should accept anything less.

Im not sure what you mean by substandard quality? Have you held the competitors? The iPad is billet Aluminium and glass, its rock solid. The competitors I have held are all plastic monstrosities. And if your referring to your bad luck with the warranty thats a little harsh. It happens to everyone at some point, its a fact of life in electronics.

If you miss some functionality on the iPad, I can accept that, the device is a balance of compromise. But quality? I don't think I have seen a single review that criticises it on quality.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
AEJim said:
I'm not prepared to accept sub-standard quality at the £500+ premium. I like Apple products but that's based on their quality being top notch and you pay for it, no-one should accept anything less.

Im not sure what you mean by substandard quality? Have you held the competitors? The iPad is billet Aluminium and glass, its rock solid. The competitors I have held are all plastic monstrosities. And if your referring to your bad luck with the warranty thats a little harsh. It happens to everyone at some point, its a fact of life in electronics.

If you miss some functionality on the iPad, I can accept that, the device is a balance of compromise. But quality? I don't think I have seen a single review that criticises it on quality.

I was mainly referring to the QC issues I've got - I know they'll take it back so no problem with that (though it seems to be quite common on the iPads for some reason). I was also making the point that I can accept the limitations of the product itself because the execution is usually so good - just not in the case of the particular one I got. I'll trade it in once and hopefully get to spend some time getting some decent apps, if the next is faulty too I'll probably just push for a refund though. I know the competition is rarely up to much - I spend half my time arguing with Android-obsessed mates about why the iPhone 4 is better than their HTC/Samsungs! Apple do operating systems and "solid" devices in terms of reliability far better than anyone else.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I thought Sky Go (the new name for Sky Player) had an iPad app?

Yeah, it won't let me use it (possibly because I don't use Sky internet) but it works fine on my PC/Laptop - confused.com.

*Edit - (App)arently it's coming soon - though I should be able to use the existing Sky player one (which I have but doesn't work). Oh, and it seems they want an extra £35 a month just to watch news/sport channels on the iPad! I may have read this wrong - I thought if you were a subscriber it was free but I can't see that now...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AEJim said:
The_Lhc said:
I thought Sky Go (the new name for Sky Player) had an iPad app?

Yeah, it won't let me use it (possibly because I don't use Sky internet) but it works fine on my PC/Laptop - confused.com.

Having Sky Broadband doesn't matter, it only allows you to register two devices with Sky Go though, so if you've got a PC AND a laptop, that's your two, so you'll have to go to the settings on the Sky Go webpage and unregister one of them, if you then try it on the iPad it should automatically register the iPad.

*Edit - (App)arently it's coming soon - though I should be able to use the existing Sky player one (which I have but doesn't work). Oh, and it seems they want an extra £35 a month just to watch news/sport channels on the iPad! I may have read this wrong - I thought if you were a subscriber it was free but I can't see that now...

No, if you're a subscriber to sports you can watch them on Go for nothing.

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I know I can do just about everything on my iPhone but I much prefer a bigger screen. I only got mine last week but so far, I have BBC iPlayer on there, picture sems pretty good, dropbox for document transfers which I have to admit is very very clever indeed (no more need to print off minutes and agendas for meetings I go to) plus the usual suspects of facebook, you tube etc. Also, switching my iphone tethering to on and connecting by bluetooth gives me a 3G connection when no wireless connections available (I am on 3 and they don't charge extra for tethering)

I have only just scratched the surface (not literally!), but so far I have to confess to being blown away with my iPad2, it is brilliant. In reality, I can accept the suggestions that it is overpriced and a bit pointless but I still maintain it is brilliant all the same
smiley-laughing.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Good to hear! :)

Currently disappointed with John Lewis' lack of useful help on the dodgy screen issue - saw online they were out of stock, called Swindon store where I bought it, confirmed out of stock but can give me no dates for new stock, they put me through to tech support who, after 10 minutes could also not help and said I need to go back to the store - even though they're out of stock, to sort out replacement at some unknown date in future... Handy. Think I'll push for refund and buy it somewhere else - it costs the same everywhere after all! :) (Apple do a great job of "price-fixing"!)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:
You could always take it back directly to apple. I think the nearest to Swindon would be Bristol.

Yeah, we're in a bit of a black hole here, Oxford* is the other option I think. The plan was to take it on hols in a couple of weeks so I'll see what they say. Maybe a newer batch would have stricter QC anyway! They've obviously had a few issues with the factories of late according to the news.

*Reading even :D

Paul.

AEJim said:
Good to hear! :)

Currently disappointed with John Lewis' lack of useful help on the dodgy screen issue - saw online they were out of stock, called Swindon store where I bought it, confirmed out of stock but can give me no dates for new stock, they put me through to tech support who, after 10 minutes could also not help and said I need to go back to the store - even though they're out of stock, to sort out replacement at some unknown date in future... Handy. Think I'll push for refund and buy it somewhere else - it costs the same everywhere after all! :) (Apple do a great job of "price-fixing"!)

I had a hilarious experience with John Lewis several years back with my video iPod. The guy really didn't want to swap my iPod for some reason, as he though its single dead pixel was within tolerance. This was along time ago now, I assume there pixel policy has relaxed a bit.

Me: My iPod had a dead pixel, can you swap it?

JL: our policy is to not replace LCD products for dead pixels unless there is more than three.

Me: so you wont swap it?

JL: no

Me: So in your opinion, this iPod is fine, in completely re saleable condition?

JL: Erm, yes

Me: Sweet, its only a week old and Im not happy with it, can I have a refund?

JL: Erm, yes... (does refund to my card) Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: Yes please, I would like to buy a black 32gb video iPod please, but not that one because someones opened it....

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
AEJim said:
My problem with DVD picture could well be the software I've used to convert existing films to MP4 movies, I'll investigate further when I've got the time! :)

Shortly, I'm sure Mr Everard will remind us all that circumventing the copyright protection on purchased DVDs is a breach of copyright, but assuming you still wanted to then I would recommend Handbrake. It's free (for PC and Mac) and if you use the "Universal" preset then you can play the MP4 file on any iDevice.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
AEJim said:
Lee H said:
You could always take it back directly to apple. I think the nearest to Swindon would be Bristol.

Yeah, we're in a bit of a black hole here, Oxford* is the other option I think. The plan was to take it on hols in a couple of weeks so I'll see what they say. Maybe a newer batch would have stricter QC anyway! They've obviously had a few issues with the factories of late according to the news.

*Reading even :D

We're in Swindon, and whilst well placed to "get to" a lot of places, it can be a pain at times.

I think you've obviously had a dodgy one. I've got an iPad 1 and whilst it won't replace a laptop/desktop any time soon, it is incredibly useful when sat on the sofa or out and about.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info Chisy! ;)

Well after driving through Swindon in rush hour to get to John Lewis is seems they can't help - they said at best they can take it away and get back to me within 28 days. They called Apple who said either go to one of their stores (not very convenient being 30 miles+ in any direction), send it off to them in a box they'll send me - they'll then sort something out in 10 days or so, or if I sign up for "Apple Care" they'll do it in 3. It seems cheeky to ask that when I've bought a faulty product, I didn't break it. The last option they gave me was to go to an approved service centre which there does happen to be (FYI Lee), Western Computers in Swindon - So I'll now take a couple of hours off work tomorrow and they'll look at it, if they think it's faulty they'll send it off and we'll see what happens next.

So all-in-all some progress but it does seem it's all at my expense and effort, not ideal when the two main companies involved are renowned for their quality and service. I'm fortunate enough to not have to take half day holiday off work to sort this out I guess but not the greatest experience of iPad ownership so far! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts