Bad sound from turntable

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I’m experiencing some sound quality issues with my Rega Planar 2 turntable and Pioneer A400 amp.

Sounds really muffled and flat, with overwhelming bass. Cartridge has a brand new stylus, has just been realigned with a protractor, and the tracking weight has been set, none of which made any difference.

After this I suspected the phono stage on the Pioneer so replaced the caps and the Opamp which made a big overall improvement to the sound but it’s still muffled and flat sounding. None of the rest of the caps in the amp were bad.

Is there any common cause for this - unfortunately I don’t have another turntable yet to even narrow it down to the TT or the amp but that should be changing next week, but does anyone have an idea where I could start? Do cartridges themselves ever need replacing or just the styli?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You've latched on to the fact that's it's all about process of elimination, which many people struggle with, so clearly you're all clued up. Next obvious question: does it sound as bad with any source or just the turntable? I suppose it's possible for cartridges to just simply go bad, but I haven't come across it. There's nothing to wear away that would deteriorate the tonal balance. I reckon you need to continue your already excellent work of 'process of elimination'; you may not be able to get to the bottom of this until you can try it with at least a different cartridge, or with the other turntable you're getting next week.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
You've latched on to the fact that's it's all about process of elimination, which many people struggle with, so clearly you're all clued up. Next obvious question: does it sound as bad with any source or just the turntable? I suppose it's possible for cartridges to just simply go bad, but I haven't come across it. There's nothing to wear away that would deteriorate the tonal balance. I reckon you need to continue your already excellent work of 'process of elimination'; you may not be able to get to the bottom of this until you can try it with at least a different cartridge, or with the other turntable you're getting next week.

Evening,

Yes I’m trying to get down the “list” had a little poke about inside the amp and for some reason I can’t remember, I’d replaced the non-polar phono stage coupling caps with polar electrolytics (?). No DC output anywhere so i just removed and jumpered them. Actually yielded a fair boost in sound quality but it remains “muffled”.

The amp is an absolute peach with everything but the TT... lots of new components in the phono stage too but I guess it could be a bad cap I’ve overlooked...

I have another turntable (Pioneer PL-12D) but that needs a new stylus so it’s that I’m waiting on before I can do any more tests. If the cartridges can’t “break” in this way then it’s definitely a head scratcher but I will know more next week.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If it does just end up being a bad phono stage but you don't fancy the thought of ripping it apart component by component to find out why, you could just buy an external phono stage. Much cheaper than a new amp of the A400's quality if it is otherwise doing you proud.

britain4 said:
MajorFubar said:

Evening,

Yes I’m trying to get down the “list” had a little poke about inside the amp and for some reason I can’t remember, I’d replaced the non-polar phono stage coupling caps with polar electrolytics (?). No DC output anywhere so i just removed and jumpered them. Actually yielded a fair boost in sound quality but it remains “muffled”.

The amp is an absolute peach with everything but the TT... lots of new components in the phono stage too but I guess it could be a bad cap I’ve overlooked...

I have another turntable (Pioneer PL-12D) but that needs a new stylus so it’s that I’m waiting on before I can do any more tests. If the cartridges can’t “break” in this way then it’s definitely a head scratcher but I will know more next week.

The phono stage in the A400 was renown for being not up to usual Pioneer standard. Might I suggest trying a cheap phono preamp? Cartridges do not last for ever and it may be time, although you don't say how old it is, to look into a new one.

NB you might get a preamp on loan from Graham Slee.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
britain4 said:
MajorFubar said:

Evening,

The phono stage in the A400 was renown for being not up to usual Pioneer standard. Might I suggest trying a cheap phono preamp? Cartridges do not last for ever and it may be time, although you don't say how old it is, to look into a new one.

Couple of suggestions to add a preamp - I opted to do some upgrades on the Pioneer one instead which I think have significantly lifted it from stock even with the SQ issue I’m having. I will nevertheless try an external one and see if it brings improvements/solves the muddy sound issue.

I have no idea how old the cartridge is but I assume as old as the turntable - 15 years perhaps. First thing I did was replace the stylus but the old and new one sound exactly the same. The Shure cartridge on my PL12D has seen very little use so I’ll see if that’s any different

britain4 said:
Al ears said:
britain4 said:
MajorFubar said:

Evening,

Couple of suggestions to add a preamp - I opted to do some upgrades on the Pioneer one instead which I think have significantly lifted it from stock even with the SQ issue I’m having. I will nevertheless try an external one and see if it brings improvements/solves the muddy sound issue.

I have no idea how old the cartridge is but I assume as old as the turntable - 15 years perhaps. First thing I did was replace the stylus but the old and new one sound exactly the same. The Shure cartridge on my PL12D has seen very little use so I’ll see if that’s any different

Good plan. Fifteen years is a good age for acheap cartridge. I would look at replacing it myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts