Bad recordings - warning

insider9

So I wanted to relieve some of the mid 90's madness and put on

Nirvana - Bleach

It's a Deluxe Edition from Tidal. The album is about to finish and I have a headache. First listen in 20 years and should last me for another 20. I dread to think if non Deluxe Edition sounded like. How rubbish is that recording.

Feel free to use this thread to warn others of poorly recorder albums.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Maybe your taste in music has changed over the years? I find myself constanly looking for new (or new to me at least) music as I don't always want to listen to the same old stuff.

I don't like rock music as much as I once did, and don't find that style of music lends itself particularly well to HiFi (or is that just me and mine?) . I wouldn't just buy music that I think would sound good on my system, I do find myself listening to less shouty music and more mellow and insightful and well produced, it enhances the enjoyment of Hifi if you can find stuff you like that's also well recorded.

Would never want my home to sound like a hifi show though :)

insider9

There's no question my taste evolved. And I do listen to quite a lot of Rock and Metal both old and new. Plus many other musical styles again both old and new. But that album is a murder. It sounds no better than some of the demos my band recorded in late nineties with me on vocals *dirol*

We've had this chat with Sabbath on Saturday. Quite a lot of Rock and Metal is actually well recorded but it's albums like this that ruin the reputation. And by the way I'm not talking about it from music perspective just purely as a recording. I still like a number of songs despite of their simplicity.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I listen to so say Lo-Fi recordings and stripped down music as well, it's not all about the production but it can make a huge difference to the overall enjoyment. I haven't listened to the record in question so can't comment on that, I have noticed that my own tastes have changed massivly though over the years, fom X-Ray Spex to Cat Stevens, and lots in between, but less and less rock these days. It's always a shame when good music is badly recorded though, is there not a remastered version yet!?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
If I may insider bolt on to this subject about album quality or finding the best version of a album from its original master which if your spent a lot of money on your hifi and your into music as much as hifi .

because I’ve read that people who are into hifi are more into listening to how there setup sounds then what the music is which I think both are important but I’ve always tried to find the best I can in music quality and obviously listening to old bands you try and find the best example that’s been remastered from the original master tapes .

he is a example but this video will show you the differences between 2 versions which are on vinyl but using the same TT to play them on of the same album https://youtu.be/s1YyVYIXlTo

Now both versions of theses black Sabbath albums sound different which I came across trying to source the closest I can to the original master tapes as it works out the albums from 2009 the black box-set and then there is the sacd versions which are from Japan but they are meant to be the best but over the years there have been many versions and I have currently the deluxe versions of the first 3 Black Sabbath albums but as a huge fan of the band I will track down the finest recordings I can .

would you do the same ?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Any current release of Computer World by Kraftwerk. The replay machine clearly wasn't calibrated properly, so the tracks sound acoustically dead with noticeable noise reduction pumping. Perhaps the original LPs were better.

Pre-78 albums by Vangelis such as Albedo 0.39, Spiral and Heaven and Hell. The recording equipment was just not particularly great. The SQ took a huge leap forward after he refitted the studio in 1978 with new recorders and desk.

The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Rick Wakeman is often cited as his magnum opus, but much of the recording quality on the album is sub par. As an example, you only need to listen to the organ parts in Anne Of Cleves, huge pitch stability isues that you can't just say were creative choices.

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
If I may insider bolt on to this subject about album quality or finding the best version of a album from its original master which if your spent a lot of money on your hifi and your into music as much as hifi .

because I’ve read that people who are into hifi are more into listening to how there setup sounds then what the music is which I think both are important but I’ve always tried to find the best I can in music quality and obviously listening to old bands you try and find the best example that’s been remastered from the original master tapes .

he is a example but this video will show you the differences between 2 versions which are on vinyl but using the same TT to play them on of the same album https://youtu.be/s1YyVYIXlTo 

Now both versions of theses black Sabbath albums sound different which I came across trying to source the closest I can to the original master tapes as it works out the albums from 2009 the black box-set and then there is the sacd versions which are from Japan but they are meant to be the best but over the years there have been many versions and I have currently the deluxe versions of the first 3 Black Sabbath albums but as a huge fan of the band I will track down the finest recordings I can .

would you do the same ? 
Very interesting video and how massive difference.

I've listened to Black Sabbath remasters recently and though they sounded good. Way better than I remembered the originals sounding. Granted not listened for quite a while but you always remember things sounding better than they actually were.

That Nirvana album is a good example. I could listen to it and be happy with sound quality 20+ years ago.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I am not sure how much to take notice of the DR data base but going by that the 1986 castle version of black Sabbath first album is the best version to go for because it’s got the best dynamic range and then you look at the remastered deluxe version the DR score is not as high but you get extra stuff on the second cd but you do not on the 1986 version .

the thing is the person who remasters a album has a chance on making the best copy of the album if he has access to the main master tapes which on a couple of times they have had there hands on the master tapes but just didn’t do a very good job remastering the first 3 Black Sabbath albums .

but saying all of this even though the 3 deluxe versions I have on cd of black Sabbath they sound pretty good for dynamic range .

what do they sound like to you though Tidal ?

gasolin

DougK said:
gasolin said:

That's a link to the vinyl LP version.

If it's the 2009 CD version then that's here: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/129306 usual loudness wars carp.

Oh sorry i looked at the deluxe version

you wrote cd version and deluxe that is not the deluxe version

You then have to buy the original cd insider9

It's those damm deaf musician that think a reamastered record is remastered if only the music is louder than the old record

D

Deleted member 108165

The DR Database is quite good for finding the best recordings. The only problem is that it's user driven so there can be missing releases and some mistakes with naming of particular albums, release dates, or missing pertinent info.

I'm a regular database contributor for certain favourite artists of mine. Personally I try to steer clear of anything that says Remastered or Special Edition as they usually sound far worse than any of the originals. When the database is used in conjunction with Discogs it's quite a good search tool for tracking down exact recordings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts