Backlight Settings for Sony LCD TV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I have a Sony KLV-32S400A LCD TV and am wondering about the backlight setting. The maximum setting is 10. The factory setting in standard mode is 8. What are the recommended "real world" backlight settings for:

a) Television (SD) viewing? and

b) DVD viewing?

I'm new to LCD TV having just graduated from a 29 inch CRT.

BTW, I get the Indian edition of your magazine and am wondering why there are so many reviews of UK specific TV sets? As a technophile I enjoy reading the reviews (which are fantastic, BTW), but would occassionally like to see reviews of TV sets available in the local market. It would have helped tremendously when I was buying my set.

A

Anonymous

I don't think there is such a thing as a standard backlight setting because backlights are not standard from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The backlight has a certain lifetime which can be extended by lowering it. Some TV's have a dynamic contrast which varies the backlight as the picture content varies.

Personally I have my backlight set to 25% and then I calibrate my colour, contrast, tint and brightness accordingly. The lower backlight setting helps reduce some minor backlight bleed which is quite common on large LCD screens.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts