Back to vinyl or better go to streaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 albums on both CD and vinyl (through buying CD job lots). Every album sounds better on the vinyl version in my system. The biggest difference is the lowish level detail which sounds like it has been scrubbed off on the CD versions. With these 3 CD's it sounds like there's clumsy giants with thick fingers and thumbs playing clumsy oversized instruments. The vinyl versions sound more like actual human sized musicians playing actual instruments. I am an empiricist. If something sounds better it is better.

Greatest Hits and compilation albums on vinyl usually sound noticeably worse than the original versions. Usual fault is too many tracks crammed into each side. For these albums I'd go CD over vinyl.

I also have about thirty 12" singles with tracks that I also have on vinyl albums. The 12" single versions all sound better than the album versions.

Eventually I guess I might come across an original album that sounds better on CD than vinyl in my system. But then again I might not. Something to bear in mind is that I do have a world class record player for vinyl. There's a big difference in sound quality between various vinyl sources. Bigger than the differences I've found so far between digital sources.

As for costs of records and CD's. This is highly variable. For example I've bought a job lot of 1000 classical lps for £35. Eighty percent of them are in very good condition. Punched in centre, non-warped, non-scratched and clean. I also bought a job lot of 300 CD's plus 50 vinyl albums for £5. About 30% of the CD's from that job lot are scratched and unplayable or skip at some point of the album. When buying individual records I pay an average of about £1.75 for vinyl and about 80 pence for CD's. Brand new vinyl is stupidly expensive at about £20 an album. I'd rather have 10 albums from the 1950's to the 1980's than 1 brand new modern album, as I hate listening to the same music over and over and over again.

Coming back to the OP. There's no reason why anyone can't have a good sounding vinyl and digital source without spending a lot of money. Certainly less money than what they're likely to spend on records and CD's if they love listening to music at home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts