Back into vinyl!

stevepg1975

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi, recently I had the urge to get back into vinyl. Grew up with it and then dj'd in my teens so always had turntables. So after a little research I decided on a goldring lenco gl75, love the older wood plinth look compared to the modern ones, and it come through this week, all refurbed and in very good condition with a shure m95 cartridge. Now have it set up with a Rega Fono mini into my B&O set up. I have had to start from fresh with my vinyl collection as well.
Love it, what a great looking bit of kit and just love that vinyl sound!
Looking for any ideas moving forward on possible upgrades that are recommended, not into upgrading for the sake of it but any effective upgrades. I am thinking the arm and cartridge, but haven't tinkers with a TT for years so reluctant to just yet.

i will try and drop some pictures into that section as well in case anyone is interested.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Nice to see people rediscovering the joys of vinyl - it is becoming more and more common nowadays! CD player sales are dropping, and most people are either buying streamers or vinyl - or a streamer and vinyl!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
GL75 is a well-engineered idler-drive deck. My dad had one in a Dynatron radiogram when I was a kid. The heavy oversize platter is even drilled round the edge to make sure it's absolutely balanced. The worst part of it is the arm. What looks like a full-metal arm that's over-engineered enough to make SME cry is in fact (iirc) partly made from moulded plastic sprayed silver. Attaching new carts can be a time-consuming challenge too: the headshell is designed to take both BSR-style ceramics, which attach with a single screw, as well as magnetics that attach with two. To fit the latter you have to faff-around screwing the cart to an adaptor-plate. Care has to be taken to ensure you don't use screws that are too long or too short.

So change that for something better-built and I reckon you'd have a killer idler-drive deck.

stevepg1975

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks major, I think you are right, the arm is probably the first thing to look into. The cartridge is fitted with two screws, so not sure if that adaptor plate is already in place. It is solid and well made alright, a very heavy unit and a good addition to my system I think. Will be doing some vinyl shopping this weekend.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
stevepg1975 said:
The cartridge is fitted with two screws, so not sure if that adaptor plate is already in place.

It will be, they don't often get lost because most users needed them.

$_35.JPG

stevepg1975

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
The Lencoheaven Forum will be well worth your while registering to/on/in/phut ! :)

indeed Floyd, already registered. There is a whole lot of info over there about the Goldring/Lenco gear. Thanks

stevepg1975

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
stevepg1975 said:
The cartridge is fitted with two screws, so not sure if that adaptor plate is already in place.

It will be, they don't often get lost because most users needed them.

$_35.JPG

thats the one, I have learnt a lot about this at TT in a very short amount of time. It's all part of it I suppose and I like that. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS