B&W speaker questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im currently running the B&W 683 speakers and they sound reasonably good. A good friend of mine is selling his 802 series 80 also known as 802FS I think. The ones with the environmental controls on them.

They are about 20ish years old but well looked after and not beaten up whatsoever. Id get them for a similar price to what I would get for my 683's. Would it be a good step up in soundstage etc? Better sound all round?

Any help greatly appreciated.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Get your good friend to let you listen to the speakers. Preferably in your home with your kit. Then you'll have a definitive answer rather than a whole bunch of opinions from people who haven't heard the combination in question in the relevant accoustic setting and don't have your tastes and preferences.

A

Anonymous

Yeah Ill probably have too. I guess Im wondering too what parts could age over 20 years regardless of careful use.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What amp do you have as these are pretty highend speakers. They need a minimum of 100W amp (no max) and have a low sensitivity of 85db.

They will almost certainly be very well built, which will mean they are likely to be fine as they've been well looked after.

If you take these on, be prepared to go on a pilgrimage that will end up with a highend system.
Ebay will become your friend as some serious amplification will be needed, as well as a decent source.

Cno

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
The 'rubber' cone surrounds can deteriorate in this timescale, particularly if they have been in the sun. Easy to spot and possible to get replaced. The electrolytic capacitors in the crossovers might also need replacing - a relatively straightforward job.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts