B&W speaker help needed ...which to buy

murphczx

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I have a dilemma....I have been looking to upgrade my speakers (currently System Audio SA1750). Two sets of speakers have appeared that I am interested in. These are a set of B&W CM9s and a set of B&W Matrix 801 Series II speakers. Both are second hand and both are in or around the same price. The 801s date from the mid to late 80s and the CM9s are 2 yearsd old. price is about the same for either. I will be pairing with a Roksan Kandy K2 integrated amp . Am I crazy to consider the 801s on the basi tht they are old (but pristine) and my amp may / may not be suitable to drive ? My musical tastes exclude Jazz and Classical. Any help would be appreciated.

rainsoothe

Haven't heard the 801's, and out of the older CM series, I used to own the CM5. The CM5 are really nice, have great bass for their size (and the CM9 should have even better bass), and the highs are pretty smooth. About the Matrix series, I remember reading somewhere that they are particularly bright, and can sound harsh. Someone with more knowledge can hopefully enlighten you, goodluck :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I would grab those B&W Matrix 801's. Much more balanced and better thoughtout speaker than anything in the CM range. Not to mention legendary lust factor to boot.

Electrolytic caps in the crossovers will have to be changed eventually to make sure they don't distort the sound.

Vladimir said:
I would grab those B&W Matrix 801's. Much more balanced and better thoughtout speaker than anything in the CM range. Not to mention legendary lust factor to boot.

Electrolytic caps in the crossovers will have to be changed eventually to make sure they don't distort the sound.

Good advice as usual. I always lusted after a pair of 801's after hearing them in a mates system many moons ago. Often referred to as 'a true musician's transducer'.

Although note the optional 11 inch stands appear to have been a necessary requirement, also the Series 2 were a marked improvement over the original..

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely go for the Matrix 801's , but it might be worth considering an amplifier upgrade sometime in future if you want to get the best performance out of them .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts