B&W or Monitor Audio

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi needing some advice was in store tday listening to a monitor audio set up it sounded good it consited of BR5(floor standers) for fronts br lcr front speaker br fx rears and a bw10 sub came to about 1000

Could i get a better b&w set up for that money???

I also looked at the tannoy mercury f1 set up does any1 rate this compared to the 2 above?

Im looking for a great cinema sound sumthing that will sound gr8 with die hard yet sumthing i can listen to a bit of pink floyd on

please help is i havnt had much response before on this forum yet i do not kno why

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
We really rate the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 package, and replacing the BR2 standmounters at the front with BR5 floorstanders will bring a bit more scale to your music listening. At the money, this looks like better value than the Tannoy set-up.

What sort of amplifier are you using?

A

Anonymous

I was looking at an onkyo 606 wen it comes out. The tannoy was cheaper than the MAs. Do you think replacing the front stand mounters with the br5s is a gd move will it affect my sound when it comes to cinema sound?

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Seems everyone's hanging out for the '606. It'd better be good when it gets here...

The BR5s' additional low frequency extension won't be so noticeable if you've got your subwoofer set up correctly, but you will gain a bit of scale over the BR2s. It's stereo music that will really reap the benefits.

What sort of size is your room? Will floorstanding speakers fit comfortably?

A

Anonymous

its about 4ft by 5ft. Yea they should fit ok im goin to wall munt my pioneer tv and sit them either side. Do u think that is the best system i can get for that kinda cash? the tannoy system was only 750 but it didnt have floor standers.

A

Anonymous

I have the BR2 AV pack with a 605, definately the best I could find with my money. Have you had a look at the B&W 685 surround system? Although it is a little over budget.

A

Anonymous

what do u think of it for cinema sound and music? how much did you pay for it and do you know any where i can get it for a gd price? Did u audition it before you bought it did u audition any other packages?

A

Anonymous

Arf69, I got the 605 for £350 and the BR2AV set for £700, both from Sevenoaks (i think there was a sale on at the time). I got this system with the main aim being to get the best home cinema that I could get which was capable of producing good hifi sound aswell. I am happy with it so far, especially since changing everything to PCM. However, I need to sort my sources out because all I have at the minute is an iPod and a cheap and cheerful Panny DVD recorder.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, didn't answer all of your questions, I auditioned the Kef 3005.2 and the Tannoy Mercury F1 package. The Kefs were really surprising for a style package. Home cinema was excellent, but obviously the MAs beat them on stereo. It was the same with the Tannoys.

A

Anonymous

PCM is Pulse Code Modulation. It is uncompressed and sounds better, to put it simply.

A

Anonymous

So might be a stupid question but what or where does the pcm come from is that produced by your amp?

A

Anonymous

PCM comes from the source, and some amps can be set up to accept the PCM if it doesn't already

A

Anonymous

Thanks im a bit out of touch when it comes to the tech stuff. A take it the 606 will be ok then thats what i think i will go for. Hows the cinema sound on your br2 have you watched any gd die hard type action films on it did it replica the cinema well?? also do u think it would be worth upgrading to 7.1??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts