B&W MT30 Vs MA Radius Vs KEF 3500se

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm waiting for the awards issue to come out that will hopefully answer the above question! Ive decided to split my Home cinema and hi fi system and will be splashing out soon. Obviously the KEF package is the cheapest but after the rave reviews am I to believe it may outperform the other 2 packages? Has anyone demo'd them and able to give an opinion. If i go for the MA package i will likely use the R225's for L, R and centre and the R90's for rears. Whats the gut feeling for the awards issue??

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I could tell you... but then i'd have to kill you
emotion-16.gif

But seriously - yes, that question will get answered in the Awards issue. Less than three weeks to go!

A

Anonymous

You'd save my wife a job when she finds out im buying more speakers!!

Not even a little Clue...??

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, no clues. I can give you facts, though. We chose the B&W MT30 as the next-price up winner from the Monitor Audio Radius in the 2006 Awards - indicating that it represented a worthy upgrade from the MAs, which dominated in the lower price-band.

That narrows your choice down to two, maybe? Why don't you get an audition of both and see which you prefer - which i'd recommend even if you are waiting 20 days for our verdict in the Awards issue.

A

Anonymous

hhhhmmmmmm...... me thinks the B&W is still the package to go for?? I did demo it about a 18mnths ago but the dealer insisted on showing it with a rel Sub, ( probably because he didnt have a PV1) kind of defeats the purpose really.

also on a side note that was your 666th post claire , freaky!?! is that a sign?

A

Anonymous

I know Clare (the little minx) is adding to the tention and keeping us guessing till the awards issue of WHF is released (out in approx 17 days I believe) but........no here's the but - I'm going to a AV type fair in Manchester on the 13 Oct which means I'll miss the anticipated class winners issue of mag !!!!!!!!!!.
The master plan is to head to said fair with funds in place and barter , haggle and hopefully bag myself a good deal on an AV speaker system to go with my Pana 42PX600 & STRDA1200ES - maybe not a foolproof plan but worth a bash.
Soooooooo after months and months of background work and deliberating it's down to 2 really - the newly revamped Kef KHT3005SE (not heard yet but glowing review in mag) or the B&W MT30 (I've tested but would really like to push the budget for the MT-50 , awaiting rubber stamp from understanding wife though!!!!!!!).

Any help would be much appreciated

A

Anonymous

I've not yet heard of the MT50?? I'm intrigued though..... anyone got any info this package??

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

Sorry, no clues. I can give you facts, though. We chose the B&W MT30 as the next-price up winner from the Monitor Audio Radius in the 2006 Awards - indicating that it represented a worthy upgrade from the MAs, which dominated in the lower price-band.

That narrows your choice down to two, maybe? Why don't you get an audition of both and see which you prefer - which i'd recommend even if you are waiting 20 days for our verdict in the Awards issue.

[/quote]

I was recently reading last year's awards again and am trying to choose my package. I am also tempted with the Radius 225 x 3 + 2x90s. Thing is I am keeping my sub, MJ Acoustics Pro 50, -did the MT30 win primarily due to its sub? If the comparison was for just the 5 rather thab 5.1 which would have won?

A

Anonymous

Very good question! Whose satellites alone, are best? Anyone tested the now bankrupt M&K pretty little satellites?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="GarethG"]

I was recently reading last year's awards again and am trying to choose my package. I am also tempted with the Radius 225 x 3 + 2x90s. Thing is I am keeping my sub, MJ Acoustics Pro 50, -did the MT30 win primarily due to its sub? If the comparison was for just the 5 rather thab 5.1 which would have won?

[/quote]

The answer to that is in that very Awards 2006 issue, in a roundabout way - the previous year's winner, B&W's MT20 - which has the same satellites as the MT30 but with a lesser subwoofer to the PV1 - was beaten by the Radius package. However, the PV1 was good enough to warrant the MT30 being worth the extra cash.

In short, there's hardly a system out there that wouldn't be better with a PV1 in it! (Thought the MJ sub you have is a good little unit).

A

Anonymous

So -

MA Radius 225 x3, 90 x2 (poss 90 or 225 all round!!??) with MJ Acoustics Pro 50 or

MT sats with MJ Acoustics Pro 50???

Really don't think I can justify upgrading sub to the ones from B&W or MA...or can I ???

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It'll be very close between the Radius and B&W sats - the MA Sub is very good (and a 2006 Award winner in its own right) - but if you do go MA, remember you have the option of a dedicated centre speaker, which you don't have with the B&W. This could make all the difference....

Have you thought about taking your MJ sub along for a demo of the B&W and MA sats?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help.

Yes I think I will do that just trying to narrow things down in my mind.

Still not totally written off the RS5, BR4 or kef iQ5i (with iQ6c) packages -tho its nearly all for home cinema use so...

A

Anonymous

On these last query, any thoughts on the comparison between traditional based system (e.g. either iQ5+iQ6c etc or RS5 or BR5 systems) compared to style system (e.g. Monitor Audio Radius) if it is being used almost solely for HC?

Heard some say that if its for HC small speakers can actually be better?

Room is 18x12 ft

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Hey people, I myself have the Tannoy Arena system with stands (bronze coloured) and it's pretty awsome sounding (I kid you not). When listening to Jean Michel Jarre live from The Forbiden City in China DVD in DTS I doubt there is a system out there in it's price bracket that this could sound better on.

A

Anonymous

If you can wait a month I'll tell you!

After a dispointing year messing around trying to get the best from a traditional 5.1 set up (KEF iQ7's, iQ8ds, and Q6c centre) I have sold the iQ8 rears on ebay last night and the centre will be going next week. This will leave me with the iQ7s which i will keep for a dedicated hifi system. as for the HC system I am waiting to see the awards issue and I have tickets for the WHSAV show to see which wins out of the 3 packages i initally started this thread about.

I am sure the system i had would have been phenominal in the "right" room but i couldnt place the rears on side walls as they should be and the fronts were well below the screen. The result was amazing scale but the imaging just wasnt convincing.

If im honest all this buying and selling "toys" is half the fun so if i sound like im moaning... far from it.

A

Anonymous

Just thought I'd bring this back to the top as I'm in the same boat regarding choosing between the Radius (3 x 225 & 2 x 90) and the B&W M-1's. I'm downsizing from my Missions but still keeping my Denon 3802 amp and Rel Quake sub and I missed the awards.

I have heard both systems with my Rel Quake and I'm edging towards ths Radius package, anyone else think the same?

Regards, Rob.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts