B&W M1 5.1 worth the upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am planning of upgrading my 5.1 system to a B&W M1 satellite system and was wondering if the upgrade would be worth it.

Current System

Mission M70 Fronts
Mission M7C2 Centre
Unknown Surrounds
B&W ASW300

I plan to stick with my subwoofer and replace the five speakers with the M1s. I am going for a listen of the MT30 system tomorrow.

What do you think will it be worth it?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Take your sub with you if you can so you can listen to what you'll actually be using. From what I've heard, the PV1 sub that goes in the MT-30 package makes up a lot of the sound, so it wouldn't be a fair audition if you won't be using it.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]Take your sub with you if you can so you can listen to what you'll actually be using. From what I've heard, the PV1 sub that goes in the MT-30 package makes up a lot of the sound, so it wouldn't be a fair audition if you won't be using it.[/quote] I agree, although I listened to a demo of them with the lesser subs in B&W's collection and they sounded great.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies folks.

Taking my Sub with me will not be an option. Although I will demo the speakers with the PV1 and a sub similar to mine.

I'd really like to know if the M1s will be able to produce similar ( or better ) sound from the current front 3 speakers.

Is it a good move seeing I'm going from a full sized centre to a much smaller satellite?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="shaf"]
Thanks for the replies folks.

Taking my Sub with me will not be an option. Although I will demo the speakers with the PV1 and a sub similar to mine.

I'd really like to know if the M1s will be able to produce similar ( or better ) sound from the current front 3 speakers.

Is it a good move seeing I'm going from a full sized centre to a much smaller satellite?

[/quote] It will be interesting to hear what you think. I went with my brother-in-law and I was wowed by them - since then I have bought traditional speakers and they are better. However, the M1s are still very good.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Larger speakers - providing they're good ones - do tend to equal better all-round performance (and especially with music), but, as mentioned above, the B&Ws are not your average style speakers.

I'd have a long, hard listen with your current speakers tonight, then take the same DVDs/CDs with you when you audition the B&Ws, using scenes/moments you're familiar with to see how they behave.

Remember to check for dialogue and surround-steering delivery as well as just wham-bam dynamic stuff - sounds obvious, but it's all too easy to get caught up in action scenes!

A

Anonymous

Wow! so many quick replies. Thank you.

Thats very good advice. I'll go through my movie collection and find some that I really like and take them with me tomorrow.

I'm not too worries about music as I use the system for movies 99% of the time.

I might even try the KEF 3005SE tomorrow and see how they sound in comparision (but I have my heart set on the M1s though).

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
One look at my sig will tell you what I think.

:)

Seriously though, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Whether it's worth the change is a decision only you and your ears can make.

A

Anonymous

Hey Chris.

Great setup.

Have you owned a full sized centre speaker in the past? If so, how does the M1s compare?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="shaf"]
Hey Chris.

Great setup.

Have you owned a full sized centre speaker in the past? If so, how does the M1s compare?

[/quote]

Unfortunately not Shaf. I jumped straight from an old Sony DAV-S550 Home-cinema-in-a-box system to my current set-up. (We moved house and I wanted to treat myself. :). Mum & Dad were happy though 'cos I gave them my 550!)

I would Imagine as most everyone else does, that if you can spare the room, full size speakers are definitely the way to go, but I wouldn't have been able to have a full 7.1 surround set-up with full size speakers (To be honest, The Wife isn't exactly enamoured with the 602s I use for stereo duties. Trying to incorporate more bulky boxes into our lounge would have been nigh on impossible!)

As I said earlier. You've gotta be sure you're getting an improvement, and that that improvement is worth the outlay. If not, walk away and save your money for another time.

It is nice being able to wall mount stuff though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts