B&W DM601 S3 Bookshelf Speakers- New requirements for amp in family room

poolz50

Dec 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone, would appreciate some words of wisdom.

I love my B&W DM601 S3 bookshelf speakers ( 8 Ohm, 25 - 100 W), currently stored in the loft. My old amp is long since dead and in reality, my requirements have changed, having a young family who wants to easily steam music (Bluetooth), listen to DAB radio or plug into an AUX cable.

I resent buying a new little speaker box, even although it would have all the connectivity (it would even be on the wifi I suppose) when I have these 'proper' speakers in the loft. :).

I don't think I need the full whack of a high class receiver. It will be just the two speakers, no other separates, no home cinema, no bass bar.

So, are there products like this? Simply a 2channel amp with bluetooth, radio and AUX-IN with enough power to run my two bookshelf speakers. Quality doesn't need to be that high as it's a family setting with lots of chatting. Low-level hum/ buzz is unacceptable of course and it would be good to have some loudness there. (Music with some beers & friends, post-covid i hope :) )

Googling around I now see a lot of small class D Bluetooth/DAB/ remote control receivers. Some of them super cheap like the Tangent Ampster BT II ( https://www.richersounds.com/tangent-ampster-bt-mkii.html) I worry that the max output of these (25W/Chan) is the minimum my speakers need. Will it even work?Are these type sof amp any 'good'.

My other option is to track down a 2nd receiver and buy a Bluetooth adaptor and a digital radio, but that is then a shelf of electrical bits, two or three remote controls and all that faff.

Thoughts?

Really appreciated,

Dan Oxford, UK.
B&W DM601 S3 Bookshelf Speakers- New requirements for amp

jjbomber

, my requirements have changed, having a young family who wants to easily steam music (Bluetooth), listen to DAB radio or plug into an AUX cable.

I don't think I need the full whack of a high class receiver. It will be just the two speakers, no other separates, no home cinema, no bass bar.

So, are there products like this? Simply a 2channel amp with bluetooth, radio and AUX-IN with enough power to run my two bookshelf speakers. Quality doesn't need to be that high

Thoughts?

Dan Oxford, UK.
B&W DM601 S3 Bookshelf Speakers- New requirements for amp
Your family deserve better. Budget at least £1,000 for a new amplifier, bit of quality. Make sure the family understand you did it for them. You would have been happy spending £50, but your family come first!
Look at the Marantz receivers, then pick the most expensive one. Your family deserve it!

Also, make sure your life insurance is up to date!

Reactions: poolz50
D

Deleted member 160668

25w/c is actually more than you would think. My mum used my old Arcam Solo Mini with the same power rating for years, connected up to some 602s2's (big bro to yours) and was able to push to uncomfortable loud levels without fuss. Sounded great too. To this was a chromecast audio and a BT receiver. All you could ever really want or need for a cheap system.

I'm not suggesting you get a solo mini (although you could), as there are millions of other options, but my point is you don't have to spend the earth for high quality and usability. Or have very high w/pc output to get to a decent (loud) volume. All of that could be picked up for less than £250 and would sound great.

Happy shopping.

Reactions: poolz50

poolz50

Dec 30, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for all the great info.

Sorry to dissapoint @jjbomber, I will get the kids into good quality audio one day I promise. For now... they just want me to play pop radio or babyshark! At the weekend I want to chuck on radio 6 (DAB) and pretend I am a cool dad.

I think my real budget is £250ish :(

I had a look at the Cambridge Audio AXR, thanks @rainsoothe. It looks great, and I am happy to see 100W/ch, but I fear I am paying for features I won't use, such the extra inputs, the DAC, and the sub out. Plus no DAB. If one comes along 2nd hand, it might be the winner still.

@gasolin, @amormusic, thank you. I am glad to hear that 25W isn't as quiet as I thought. Actually, I think my old sony speakers and integrated amp set up in the shed isn't any more than that and I never have that more than '5' on the dial. Saying that, I really don't want to damage these speakers, or cause a house fire from a struggling amp. I guess I should try and find a little more power than 25W. Maybe 50w?

I just can't seem to find something at quite the right level. The Tangent Ampster BT II the Fossi units all over amazon seem okay on paper, and the online reviews look okay, I am just nervous buying a budget/unknown brand. Maybe time to face reality - I am on a budget, and I don't knwo anything :) .

That used nad D3020 looks great too, (@gasolin) but no DAB. Will keep my eye out for one.

thank you again everyone. Just in case of further help, my concise requirements are:

50 to 100 W into 8Ohm
DAB
2 Ch
Bluetooth
Aux In
Remote control
Smallish

Dont't need
DAC
Extra outputs (woofer, recording, more speakers)
Extra inputs (Optical, HDMI, CD/Tape/Turner etc)

poolz50

Dec 30, 2020
Visit site
Can't you stream dab from a tablet or phone thru bluetooth to the amp ?

Most small amps is not a receiver, Denon D-M41DAB
yeah definitely, it is what I do in the shed. It is just a convenience thing . Not having to load up something, and then 'loose' the device as it is taken up doing that.

Maybe I want too much :) !

poolz50

Dec 30, 2020
Visit site
after a few evenings of reading and a quick chat to RS, I am now looking at

Marantz Melody (M-CR412). = The best for me, but touching £400 so need to save up.

Denon DAB DM41. = Would be good but "only" 30 W into 6 Ohm. It's ~£100 less than the CR412, but half the channels and half the power.

The Cambridge Audio AXR 100would win, but a £500 for a bit more power don't think I can justify it. It does look very good though. I wish they did the AXR85 with DAB, then the price and power would be perfect.

Along the way I rejected Panasonic PMX82 as its power rating is into 3Ohm, which doesn't sound legit to me.

Any DENON CEOL N11,N10,N9 would be great but they are expensive and hold their 2nd hand value. Again the M-CR412 offers everything I need (I am on the fence about really needing wifi/networking from the CEOL ) and offers 4 channels if I were ever to throw another set on.

If I have missed any obvious candidates do shout at me!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts