Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
B&W CM7 mains, B&W CM Centre, B&W FPM2 rears, Sunfire HRS-8 sub

5671635903_f34c63ccf3_m.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rob

Very nice looking system....with some great componants that should be well matched.

I used to own the AVR350 which was paired with a DV79 (it was a great combo with music and AV). I traded up for the AVR600 which was a big improvement, but saying that, I would still prefer the AVR350 to any other amp up to the price of the AVR400.

I find Arcam amps (and most subs) respond well to an after market mains lead (I like Clearer Audio Copperline Alpha +..they allow a trial period)...I never mind being ridiculed.

It's hard to tell from the picture...but do you have a rug in front of the system?...the floor looks quite reflective.

Can you/are you bi-amping the front speakers?

How does it all sound?

Cno

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi Cno

Thanks for comments, I bought the AVR350 because of it's performance with music, although now mainly use it for movies, but it does sound fantastic with the CM7's, the mid range is superb with loads of detail. Obviously the AVR350 doesn't decode the latest HD sound formats but can't afford to upgrade yet, may have to move away from Arcam to get a decent spec. Rear speakers are B&W FPM2's, would love CM1's but as sofa is on back wall there just isn't enough space.

I use bi-wire chord odyssey speaker cables, also the zone 2 on the AVR350 is set to bi-amp, previously used QED silver anniversary and the chord is a huge improvement, but considering the price it's no surprise!

I have a Russ Andrews mains extension, and have replaced some of the mains cables with also with Russ Andrews cables, but only the lower end of the range, gets expensive if you're not careful! The room has a hardwood floor so I have a rug, cushions and thick curtains to help with the sound.

Rob

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ROB2009 said:
Hi Cno Thanks for comments, I bought the AVR350 because of it's performance with music, although now mainly use it for movies, but it does sound fantastic with the CM7's, the mid range is superb with loads of detail. Obviously the AVR350 doesn't decode the latest HD sound formats but can't afford to upgrade yet, may have to move away from Arcam to get a decent spec. Rear speakers are B&W FPM2's, would love CM1's but as sofa is on back wall there just isn't enough space. I use bi-wire chord odyssey speaker cables, also the zone 2 on the AVR350 is set to bi-amp, previously used QED silver anniversary and the chord is a huge improvement, but considering the price it's no surprise! I have a Russ Andrews mains extension, and have replaced some of the mains cables with also with Russ Andrews cables, but only the lower end of the range, gets expensive if you're not careful! The room has a hardwood floor so I have a rug, cushions and thick curtains to help with the sound. Rob

Rob

There's two more thoughts that now occur to me. If the AVR600 is out of reach (I got mine at the price it was introduced at and received £900 for my AVR350!), what about getting a blu-ray with analogue outs, and let it do the decoding.

This is subjective, but I think Telurium Q "Blue" is worth checking out (see website)...maybe in the long term.

What I don't know, is how far off the AVR400 the 350 is, especially if it was fed by a competant blu-ray with analogue outs...perhaps not a mile away.

Edit. The Sony BDP S5000ES is great value at the moment - £700 from Amazon (was £1100).

Cno

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The CM7s look great, and a lot chunkier than the CM8s that I have.

Is your tv wall-mounted? Would be great If I could get the CM Center on same shelf as the tv. See CM8 posting.

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Yes would have to agree, from looking at your CM8's they do seem taller and narrower than the 7's, but I bet the 8's pack a right punch! But as my room is quite small, I don't think I could go any larger.
TV is wall mounted, I'm fortunate to have the right shaped room with no fire place in the way!!
Rob

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Cno, thanks for the info, reckon the Sony at £700 plus interconnects would sort me out a treat.

Not having heard any HD audio, is it a big step up from current Dolby formats? It would have to be to justify the outlay!

Rob

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ROB2009 said:
Cno, thanks for the info, reckon the Sony at £700 plus interconnects would sort me out a treat. Not having heard any HD audio, is it a big step up from current Dolby formats? It would have to be to justify the outlay! Rob

Yes, I think it's a big step up, but I've never heard it on a AVR350. I believe it's the way to go, rather than getting a less musical amp..as long as it gives you all you need. Don't forget that the Sony will also give a big upgrade in picture quality as well.

WHF rated it nearly as good as the Pioneer at £2k! so you should be well impressed, though it would be good to get conformation from others...so much responsibilty for one person to handle. :)

Cno

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rob - Great Set up. This picture is nostalgic to me as I used to have most of the components in your system. The most connection is for the B&W CM7 and CMC of same color. These speakers are pure bueaty.. and the sound is really nice too. Though a little bright when I paired with Rotel gear but really nice with Arcam AVR.

I also think that your AVR350 is the weak link here.. If ever you want to change then it should be the one.

Also, I see the speakers have a scope to be brought forward - in line with the front of the rack (both CM7 and center). Did you experiment that already? If no, please try it as the CM7 rear port can benefit by not mudding the bass.

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
WishTree - Yes I have experimented with main speaker positions, The room isn't that deep so there isn't much scope for moving them. If they are too far forward the right hand speaker is almost in the way when coming in and out of the room! I have the rear ports fully bunged which works well in the room and I am very pleased with the overall sound.

Always intrigued if someone could get more out of my system, but I reckon I'm pretty close...

Having said all that, I have just brought the speakers forward a little...

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
The Arcam DV135 & Sony BDP-S350 have been replaced by new Sony BDP-S5000ES.... Blimey...It's a beast of a thing! Will post more when had chance to set up properly....

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Just fitted "Soundcare SuperSpikes" to the main speakers, amazing difference, bass is much cleaner and overall sound is warmer, love it! Highly recommended upgrade for not a lot of money. Sony is proving pretty awesome, movie soundtracks in HD audio are out of this world
Rob

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ROB2009 said:
Just fitted "Soundcare SuperSpikes" to the main speakers, amazing difference, bass is much cleaner and overall sound is warmer, love it! Highly recommended upgrade for not a lot of money. Sony is proving pretty awesome, movie soundtracks in HD audio are out of this world Rob

It's good to see a plan come together. :bigsmile:

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
And finally...Have fitted Soundcare SuperSpikes to centre speaker and sub, dusted off the spl meter and re-calibrated. Now watching "Saving Private Ryan" on the new Sony and grinning from ear to ear :-D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts