B&W CM7, Roksan Kandy K2 or Naim Nait 5i?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm thinking about updating to a new amp to drive my B&W CM7. I have narrowed down to three candidates the list of amps:

Roksan kandy K2

Naim Nait 5i-2

Denon pma 1510ae (I haven't read much from this one but it was recommended in the shop)

The problem is that retailers in my selling the first two amps, do not sell B&W so I could not listen to those attached to the CM7.

I tested the Naim at the shop and the sound was great, but the speakers used for the demo were way more expensive than mine.

The Roksan Kandy was tested with bookshelf speakers (what they dad in the shop).

All of them sounded good, but I have no idea how the match is with my speakers. Thus, I would like to ask for some advise here.

I mainly listen to groups like Dire Straits, Eric Clapton ...

I feel somewhat tempted to buy the Roksan as it is known to be easy to match, but the Naim seems to be quite good. Any comments on the bass performance of the Naim? My source of music is a DacMagic.

Cheers!

Jaime

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi there
I have a Roksan Kandy K2 and until recently a pair of CM7s.
Although my musical taste is quite different to yours (heavy rock, metal). The combi just didn't work for me.
I had previously had a Musical Fidelity XA2 which worked very well.
The CM7s do seem quite lively and do need good control of the bass. I haven't heard the Naim.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, there's only a few amps I've heard that sound noticeably better than others, and the Naim is one of them. How well they'd go with B&W I'm not sure. You're best bet is to give your dealer the good oil and get the amps home for a home demo.

jimmy.cruz said:
Hello,

I'm thinking about updating to a new amp to drive my B&W CM7. I have narrowed down to three candidates the list of amps:

Roksan kandy K2

Naim Nait 5i-2

Denon pma 1510ae (I haven't read much from this one but it was recommended in the shop)

The problem is that retailers in my selling the first two amps, do not sell B&W so I could not listen to those attached to the CM7.

I tested the Naim at the shop and the sound was great, but the speakers used for the demo were way more expensive than mine.

The Roksan Kandy was tested with bookshelf speakers (what they dad in the shop).

All of them sounded good, but I have no idea how the match is with my speakers. Thus, I would like to ask for some advise here.

I mainly listen to groups like Dire Straits, Eric Clapton ...

I feel somewhat tempted to buy the Roksan as it is known to be easy to match, but the Naim seems to be quite good. Any comments on the bass performance of the Naim? My source of music is a DacMagic.

Cheers!

Jaime

Hi Jamie

For me the Naim Nait 5i is the strongest of the these three amplifiers. The Nait 5i's overall presentation should work well the CM7's.

Btw, Nait 5i has a weighty, fast and tight bass performance which should help keep the loosish bass performance of the CM7's in even greater check then K2 and PMA-1510AE can.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Rick you have experience with the PMA-1510ae? if so...compared to the 1500ae are the treble and bass less pronounced?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jaime I've never really felt that the synergy was right between Naim and B&W, and don't ever recall a combination of the two that has really worked. I would say, from your list, that the Roksan would fair batter than the Nait 5i, and you can also give the Audiolab 8200A a try too. Of the three, I'd personally go with the lively 8200A. If you want something more on the warmer, softer side, try the NAD 356.

A

Anonymous

The only thing that I could infer from those tests at the retailers is that the Naim had better middle range (i.e. electric guitars sounded better) than Roksan K2, which seems to have more weight on the bass and at very high frequencies.

I appreciate the most your comments, as it has been impossible to test the amps with my speakers.

Jaime

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Today I could borrow the amps and test them at home.

Using the CM7 without the port dampers, the Roksan produced a way too heavy bass load, but the Naim keep the bass more under control. With the dampers (the half-way ones), the bass response was better balanced. The naim showed similar results with the dampers on/off.

I think I liked more the Naim's presentation, however, the Roksan sounded quite good also with the dampers on. Perhaps too much detail for listening rock, but extremely nice for blues.

This morning I started to consider the possibility of buying one of the bigger brothers: Naim Nait XS or Roksan Caspian M2. It might as well be a good investment for the future...any comments on those two?

Cheers,

Jaime

jovend

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Jamie

I would say the Naim again. Besides which the Nait XS is an excellent amplifier anyway :)

Btw, Densen's Beat B-110 Plus is also worth serious consideration :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

+1 on this. Bought one yesterday drving my focus 110. At this price range, IMHO you should consider Densen .Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

In the end I ordered the Naim Nait XS, xDD.

I could test the Music Fidelity m6i and it sounded quite good also...but jesus, the creature is expensive!

I could not find the Densen in any of the local retailers.

Thank you (ALL) for your comments, they have been helpful!

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts